Menu

What hs mags *do* y'all like?

The thread on TOS doesn't surprise me, but I found TOS after looking for something else for a while, & I've got to tell you--they're HANDS DOWN better than the other mags I ran across.

I like these boards better, but y'all don't fit in a book bag to read during long waits, kwim? :lol:

And w/ regard to the support of the Pearls...ahhh...I don't know. I know their ads appear in TOS, & I think that's unfortunate. More than unfortunate, really. But beyond that, how does TOS support them? In the other thread (about TOS pros & cons), Audrey mentioned that they're "big supporters" of the Pearls. I assume that just means taking their advertising dollars. Is it more than that?

I've been debating for a while how big a deal it is that they allow the Pearls to advertise there. I guess...I *want* that issue to just go away. I want to *just* read about hs'ing, kwim? And everything I've read about this issue equates the Pearls w/ Christianity, which...well...I'd strongly disagree w/ that.

The Link is a homeschool newspaper out of CA. I used to get it and it had pretty decent articles. http://www.homeschoolnewslink.com/

I also liked http://www.homeedmag.com/ and would probably subscribe to it if I decided I wanted to subscribe to a magazine again. It is more liberal but it is quality articles not advertisement that are at the forefront of this magazine.

If you want something that is good and supports Christian values, I liked the samples I recieved of this one a few years back: http://www.homeschooltoday.com/

If I was subscribing or buying I would probably get both Home Education and Homeschool Today.

Of course, if you subscribe to both you will have a balanced viewpoint of homeschooling. :lol:

Hope this helps. :001_smile:

I enjoy reading The Heart of the Matter. You can read it online, however, I like to print it out so I can read it with my coffee or when I'm waiting around at a kid activity. I don't know if you'd consider it a magazine. Maybe it if more of an e-zine. Although the winter edition did run 50 pages.

I have also enjoyed reading the various Carnivals of Homeschooling (The Carnival of Homeschooling, sponsored by Why Homeschool; Charlotte Mason carnival; even the Canadian Homeschooling Carnival), although you can't print them off in any easy way. I think that the amount of user generated content is creating a real challenge for magazine production of all types.

I have kept my back issues of every homeschool mag I ever got! lol

Home Education seems more geared to unschooling--but it does have articles by the guy who wrote "Good Morning, Merry Sunshine," which is a lovely book about a family's first year of homeschooling.

TOS does seem to have too many ads, but I occasionally still look at it (just the back copies I have--no Pearls0.

Isn't there one about Classical homeschooling? I do read Memoria Press' little mag that comes out, but it is a catty, basically (I always read what "our" Plaid Dad has to say, however!).

Maybe we should suggest to SWB or her mom that she start one! Wouldn't that be fun! She could put her writing stuff in it, and solicit articles from the forums!

I'll throw another positive for The Link. I just saw this magazine for the first time this fall. It is packed full of info - and ads - but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I learn about new products from the ads too!

A friend gave me a subscription for Homeschool Digest last year. Honestly, I didnt care for it. The only word I can come up with to describe it would be "heavy-handed". It is just not my cup of tea. My friend loves it though.

What is the deal with TOS?? I do not care for the Pearls and would not want to support their activities. Could someone link the info or explain it to me?? I stopped subscribing to it years ago because it was always so "chipper". All the reviews were so happy and positive. They loved everything. I dont want a depressing magazine, but a balanced one. Not everything is great for everyone. KWIM?

Practical Homeschool looks interesting. I have seen several copies but I have never been interested enough to order it.

My favorite magazine is Secular Homeschooling. It isn't anti-religion, it is simply non-religious. Very refreshing.

The editor also has a blog called Diary of a Mad Editor.

asta

Another plug for this mag. It is great even if you are not a secular homeschooler. In no way does the mag talk down about religious homeschoolers and more specifically Christian homeschoolers. In fact, in one article she actually talked about how it can be harder for Christian homeschoolers because you really have to try and fight the stigma of being one of those weird religious ones. :)

I love her humor as well.

It seems like there are so many good ones now that I could rotate through them over and over and not get tired of them.

Decent paperbacks that I like reading repeatedly include:

Family Matters

Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days (and its sequel, whose name escapes me for the moment.)

And the Skylark Sings with Me

The Underground History of American Education (a heavy one, though)

There Are No Shortcuts

Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire

the Marva Collins one

Educating the Whole Hearted Child

The High School Liberation Handbook

Let Us Highly Resolve

When You Rise Up--(I have kind of mixed feelings about this one)

Anything by John Holt or the Colfaxes

Other good books to have along from time to time, that are smallish or lend themselves to reading in short chunks:

The Power of a Positive Woman

Girl Meets God (love that book!)

The Ministry of Motherhood

Any Waldorf crafty book

What Queen Esther Knew

A Mom Just Like You

The Roar on the Other Side

100 Favorite Poems (I don't read this lightly or often, but it's a little, slim book and sometimes I just pull it out and read one or two poems and think about them. This has made me much more literate in poetry, in which I was deficiently educated, and has made it easier for me to find a good poem to study with DD from time to time.)

Organizing from the Inside Out (I can only hope)

For magazines, I like the Interweave Pressing knitting magazine. It has lots of variety, the patterns seem to work, and it's not just for skinny 20 somethings. And I love Mothering magazine, but as my DD is now 12, there is not much for her in there. I'm thinking of subscribing to Popular Science, because I think it would be good for my brain, but I'm not sure that I would actually read it.

I like Secular Homeschooling as well. It is well-written and focuses on homeschooling, not ads and making money. It is not as pretty as other magazines (black and white, no glossy pages), but if you are looking for something to actually read and get information from, it's great.

And like others have said, it is by no means anti-religion.

Have you seen Home Educating Family?

I just received a sample in the mail and liked it because it has the usual homeschool articles in it, but also articles by Christians like John Piper, Elizabeth Elliot and Ted Tripp.

Don't know if they are always in there, but I thought it was a good balance between Christian living and homeschooling.

I picked up some older Practical Homeschooling from a free bin at a booksale a couple years ago. I was impressed by how valid several of the older articles were. Two that caught my eye were how to organize a science fair and how to organize a history fair around family genealogy.

I may have to think about getting a subscription to this myself.

• 3 months later...
Have you seen Home Educating Family?

I just received a sample in the mail and liked it because it has the usual homeschool articles in it, but also articles by Christians like John Piper, Elizabeth Elliot and Ted Tripp.

Don't know if they are always in there, but I thought it was a good balance between Christian living and homeschooling.

I know this is an old thread, but I saw this and had to respond; they do usually feature articles from the folks mentioned.

In fact, last issue's article from John Piper, about voting, was one of the best things I've read in a magazine in a long time.

(Full disclosure, though...I write a few articles for them. But I wouldn't if I didn't really like them. :-)

If you go to http://www.homeeducatingfamily.com/ and fill out the form there, they'll send you a free sample copy. (It usually comes from the upcoming issue).

They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like them. Thought-provoking.