Menu

Thinking about tipping, do you always tip if there is a tip jar?

I recently bought new tires at a local tire store, not a chain. I paid for the disposal of the old tires, the new tires, the mounting, balancing, additional warranty, flat protection, and state fees. Total was just shy of $700.

As I'm checking out I notice a large jar on the counter labeled for tips, with quite a few $20 inside. I'm the third customer of the morning, so I fail to believe the other two put in several $20's each, but you never know. I didn't tip at all. Am I honestly expected to tip between $105 and $140? I wasn't in the bay with them to witness the service, I had to drive my vehicle in the bay and drive it out when finished. How does one define and financially rate service in this situation?

I guess I was shocked to say the least. I've never encountered this particular situation though I do see tip jars in odd businesses such as hardware stores, gift shops, and butcher shops. Do you always tip if you see a jar and the service warrants it?

Wow! i've never seen a tip jar at a tire shop, hardware, gift or anything like that. those are not tipping service industries and i would not tip. i used to not tip at places like Starbuck's - until i started working there! now i do but it's only loose change, i don't think about what percentage it is and at counter type places i don't think one should be expected to.

btw, tip jars are seeded and yes, that establishment wants you to believe customers are regularly leaving $20 tips. at my Starbuck's the jar starts off with a few dollar bills and some coins.

I find the whole thing awkward. I mean, for waiters in a sit down restaurant, of course I expect to tip. But if I am at Starbucks, didn't I just pay the person to get me a coffee? What is the difference between good and poor service there? If the coffee isn't cold, I should tip? If they didn't spit in it?

I have never seen this at a tire place either. I don't want to be mean or try to cheat anyone, but if the price of having tires put on is more than what I just paid, then change the price and I will know that ahead of time. The service thing, to me, has always earned my future loyalty to that business -- meaning that I am not tipping them, but the next time I need tires, I will go back and I will tell anyone else who needs tires that this is a great place to go.

Am I supposed to tip the cashier at Wal-Mart for checking me out or the person in the drive thru at McDonalds for getting my order right? I just don't know anymore. At what point did doing your job adequately always require a tip? I mean, if they do a terrible job, I can always complain, but I guess there isn't a great way to reward someone in a service industry job for really going above and beyond, is there?

Either way, my guess is that in this economy, you will start seeing more and more of those jars. And I really don't mean to offend anybody who does tip in these places, but I am just really perplexed about this and the idea that I have to pay extra to get what I just paid for or I am a bad person really makes me wonder about things.

Edited by Asenik
typo

No, I do not. I have seen them appear in settings I understand the staff is compensated at a rate commensurate with the work; tips are not part of the expected product or service.

I sometimes *do* but I do not feel it is necessary and sometimes I even question the appropriateness of the jar.

That said, we had tip jars at our fireworks stands and divided up the tips between the minor age workers (whom we also paid at an hourly rate).

No, I don't leave a tip in tip jars. Used to, but I just can't be nickeled and dimed all day like that.

Next thing you know the Walmart guy who goes through my receipt and looks through my cart as though I am some criminal, before I leave the store, will be holding out a jar for cash afterwards.

I tip bartenders, waitstaff, and my stylist. The end. I'm probably pretty cheap, but I figure everyone else gets either paid a wage that doesn't depend on tipping in the first place (and took the job knowing that) or isn't doing me a service that I have to display in public for months. If I ever got my nails done or had massages, I'd probably tip those folks, but again... I'm cheap and don't pay for those services in the first place.

If I feel that someone went above and beyond their normal call of duty, I will call in the manager and tell them so, and I will also refer friends to that establishment/particular person. In the end, that's worth way more than a tip because that could affect them during layoffs or get them a raise in better times.

Just my two cents. Not trying to be stingy.

Her books are fun to read, but I don't always agree with her. I wouldn't say that putting out a tip jar is "begging." However, I don't feel compelled to donate. If I go into a restaurant, I think the expecation of our culture is that you tip. So I do. If I can't afford that, I don't go out to eat. I don't think tip jars in other service industries are as standard. No, I don't think I am obliged to tip the person who makes the coffee I pay for.

overall, i agree with the general sentiment about tip jars though, like i said, my perspective has changed a bit since working at Starbuck's. i do now, as a customer, put some change in the jar. tips at Starbuck's are split weekly among all hourly workers. there is little skill involved in bringing over a cup of brewed coffee but it's been an eye opener for me to be learning what it takes to pull off the multitude of expresso, frappaccino, and tea drinks especially when you take into consideration the level of customization many people ask for. your barista (goodness, who makes up these words!) has gone through a fair amount of training if they are at a company store. it is a service though not table service. as a worker and a customer, i take the tip jar as a suggestion but not a requirement or even an expectation; i continue to be surprised at how many people do tip.

I tip at restaurants and beauty shops and the Renaissance Faire, and that's about it. (I would tip in bars, too, if I went to them, but I don't have occasion to do that anymore.)

I think that it's reasonable to tip into a tip jar when special preparation AND table service are part of the deal--like at Erics' DeliCafe, for instance. There you pay at the counter, but they make and plate and serve the meal to your table. Since you pay at the counter, I add a tip there--either into my credit card total or into the tip jar. I think that that is reasonable. But if I have to carry out my own food, like at Taco Bell, then I don't really think that tips are reasonably to be expected.

I am either totally out of the loop or very unobservant, but I can say that (other than beside a musician at the coffee shop) I have never seen a tip jar. Until I read these threads about tipping, I didn't even know they existed!

So, I guess my answer to the question would be: No. I don't tip in tip jars because I've never noticed them. I'll have to start looking now.:001_smile:

IMO, tipping is totally out of hand in this country.

It seems everyone has their hand out for doing their job and the 'tip' is expected not suggested. Newspaper delivery, mailperson, barista, deli worker, construction worker, etc.

It irritates the heck out of me. (and no I would not have tipped in this situation).

IMO, tipping is totally out of hand in this country.

It seems everyone has their hand out for doing their job and the 'tip' is expected not suggested. Newspaper delivery, mailperson, barista, deli worker, construction worker, etc.

It irritates the heck out of me. (and no I would not have tipped in this situation).

I do hereby tip you for the brilliant post!:cheers2: (Consider this my.02. Eh, bad play on words! LOL)

I consider tip jars ~ particularly when they contain absurd announcements, e.g. "We LUV tips!", "Every little bit helps me buy a new bike!", etc ~ beyond tacky. The intent is to guilt-trip people into tipping; that doesn't work on me.

How about when they call it the "karma jar?" :D

I ignore tip jars too. A nice perk of always using a credit or debit card means I never have spare change anyway.

I don't tip people in places where they have to have a jar out to do so. If it isn't obvious that you should tip...I don't. I live in a mandatory minimum wage state, so I know they aren't being paid below $8.(?) per hour. If someone goes out of their way is helpful beyond what I expect, I fill out a customer service card or talk to the manager and let them know that the person did to help me. I expect the barista to be nice. I expect the deli to make my sandwich with a smile. I don't think that tipping the person extra does any thing except make the management think they don't need to pay them more because the customers support part of the paycheck.

My basic rule is this....if I need something after I sit down, do I have to get it myself? If someone else is serving me, and I don't have to get back up...then I will tip. If I have to get up to get my own napkins, stand in line for the item they forgot to give me, or clear my own table....no tip is needed.

I tip bartenders, waitstaff, and my stylist. The end. I'm probably pretty cheap, but I figure everyone else gets either paid a wage that doesn't depend on tipping in the first place (and took the job knowing that) or isn't doing me a service that I have to display in public for months. If I ever got my nails done or had massages, I'd probably tip those folks, but again... I'm cheap and don't pay for those services in the first place.

If I feel that someone went above and beyond their normal call of duty, I will call in the manager and tell them so, and I will also refer friends to that establishment/particular person. In the end, that's worth way more than a tip because that could affect them during layoffs or get them a raise in better times.

Just my two cents. Not trying to be stingy.

:iagree: Yep, this is what I do too.

Like I mentioned before, once one company starts using a tip jar, they start popping up all over the place. No, I don't tip anyone except wait staff, my hair stylist and the hotel maid. I also do not feel socially responsible to hand out tips to everyone making less money than someone else.