Menu

How do you school on days YOU can't focus?

Usually when I'm not focused, it's because I have some other projects or work I want or need to get done. On those days, I ask the kids what they would rather do...help with the work load or do school. THey usually opt for the jobs. It's a change of pace for them and gives them practice in the everyday skills they will need in life. I have had them learn to cook a whole meal, garden, compost, make fermented foods, take care of the baby etc. It's still all learning anyways, right?

I use a very structured schedule every day. I'm really careful to prioritize. If I know there is something non-school related that's going to come up during the day, I schedule a specific amount of time for it. There are days when my focus is much better than others, but if I follow my schedule I'm still physically there even if my brain isn't. Sometimes my kiddos just need to tolerate a spacey mom. For me it's all about self-discipline and planning, planning, planning.

I'd say the major problem with my kids productivity lies in my own ability to stay on task.

I'll be productive, but I can't stay focused for a school day, say, 9-2 or 9-3. I don't know if it's actually ADD or if it's just being undisciplined, but it's how I've been for the entire 9 years we've been homeschooling.

I am usually able to keep the kids on their own tasks, but as far as grading, pre-reading, etc, I'm not always working while they're working. I will, however, do reading, planning, and grading in the afternoon and evenings. I spread out the day's work through the whole day, and sometimes I have to work double the next day to catch up. Sometimes when I'm feeling productive I manage to get ahead of my kids. I've spent entire weekends doing schoolwork when my husband and boys are away on boy scout trips. I seem to focus so much better when the house is quiet. And sometimes I just let the ball slip and I do fall behind, no excuses.

When the kids were younger, homeschooling didn't take as much time and I didn't have as much of a problem. Now that they're older, it's a real challenge not only to get the work done, but to convince my kids to keep working even when they see me playing on the computer, or getting up to wipe down the cabinets, or reading through the mail, etc. For inspiration, I try to make them aware that I'm getting schoolwork done at odd times, and I think that's working to help them realize that tasks must be done, even if they don't get done during normal business hours, and nights and weekends are necessary if work doesn't get done when the rest of the world does school.

I find it's nothing I can fix if I'm already in the middle of a day but before hand I have to have a routine (not ness. a tight structure), sleep the night before, a good breakfast and my dose of ritalin.

I don't take ritalin, but everything else fits here. I have to be up, dressed, and ready for the day, or it's not going to go well. I was a couple of hours into the day today when I realized what kind of day this was going to be. In the past, it would mean a stressed, cranky (to put it mildly) mom. I've learned to cut my losses, do what we can, and rearrange the rest of the week. Chances are, tomorrow will be completely different.

I don't have ADD, but as I near the start of my cycle I have noticed that I get very disorganized and feel overwhelmed. I will also have memory problems during this time. I have recently started to think that this might be a little how people with ADD feel. I have learned to try to just focus on one thing at a time and give myself a break when these time periods come. I also try to relax about maybe not being able to get everything done. A list helps me tremendously because then I can just pick one thing off the list and focus on that.

Lisa

ADD definitely has a big impact on the way we school, but I see it as a good thing. On days when I just can't pull off a classical school day, we either go heavy on independent worksheets and/or independent reading, or we pull out all of the art supplies and go wild, or we head outside to play in the dirt, or we play card games and board games... the list goes on and on.

The kids' favorite is probably playing store. They tape price tags to everything in the house and go nuts.

Whatever happens, I know they're using their brain that day, even if mine is all fuzzy. ;)

ADD definitely has a big impact on the way we school, but I see it as a good thing. On days when I just can't pull off a classical school day, we either go heavy on independent worksheets and/or independent reading, or we pull out all of the art supplies and go wild, or we head outside to play in the dirt, or we play card games and board games... the list goes on and on.

The kids' favorite is probably playing store. They tape price tags to everything in the house and go nuts.

Whatever happens, I know they're using their brain that day, even if mine is all fuzzy. ;)

Carrie, I love those suggestions!