Menu

What are your favorite living books for science?

For middle school I don't think you can beat the Discover Nature series. It's absolutely fantastic....great reading and nifty hands-on stuff. They are some of my absolute favorite books.

Here's an applicable title for Feb: http://www.amazon.com/Discover-Nature-Winter-Things-Know/dp/081172719X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233956522&sr=8-2

While the series is mostly life science, there are several books that deal with earth science and astronomy.

Ria

I'm specifically looking for "physical sciences" books (ie chem and physics), but would love to hear about really good science-related books in any field for late elementary and middle school.

The New Way Things Work

Archimedes and the Door to Science

Galen and the Gateway to Medicine

The Usborne Internet Linked Science Encyclopedia

I really like Beautiful Feet's History of Science. It is one of the few products that I have held onto for years. Before my oldest 2 hit high school it was what we pulled out whenever we needed a break from our science program.

HTH-

Mandy

Also, the Tiner books "Exploring the World of..." would qualify, I think, for maybe 5-7th grades or so. They are engaging and cover a lot of history and historical context for science discoveries, as well as some scientific principles. I don't think that they are adequate for standalone science, but they are great to amplify RS4K Level 1.

Thanks! Keep 'em coming!

I'm kind of turning over the idea of putting together a middle school level secular science curriculum using Prentice Hall Science Explorers books for spine material, but would like to also incorporate some other good "living" science books too. It sort of seems like there would be a market for such a thing. And I want a middle school physical science for ds this fall, so that's where I'd probably start if I do this.

Stories might be good too...a book about a kid who gets a chemistry set, or someone who builds a contraption with lots of gears and levers and pulleys...

I'm so hoping someone with a high-school kid has them read Uncle Tungsten: Memoir of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks, the famous neurologist and author.

It was truly a living book. Actually, come to think of it, any of Oliver Sacks' books on the workings of the brain would make excellent science readings.

I don't think anyone mentioned The Mystery of the Periodic Table by Benjamin D. Wiker. Very interesting short vignettes about the men and women who investigated the elements.

More! More!

I'm Amazoning as we speak...

Y'all are great.

Stories about famous scientists in the field(s) being studied would be fabulous. I was thumbing through my copy of "Mathematicians Are People Too" the other day pondering whether some of those would be good for this purpose.

Thanks Kareni, I'll check it out!

Has anyone used either of these:

The Periodic Table

Physics: Why Matter Matters

I just ordered the Periodic Table book from Barnes & Noble (as well as the biology book by the same author) for the science program I'm designing for Otter for next year. I can let you know more as soon as they get in. :001_smile:

More! More!

I'm Amazoning as we speak...

Y'all are great.

Stories about famous scientists in the field(s) being studied would be fabulous. I was thumbing through my copy of "Mathematicians Are People Too" the other day pondering whether some of those would be good for this purpose.

I have both volumes of "Mathematicians are People Too" and the writing isn't that good. They have their good points, but I wouldn't say they qualify as living books. But me, I had to have them anyway, and I've read a few of the biographies to the boys. On a scale of one to ten, with Oliver Sacks at 10, I'd give them a five.

Life in a Bucket of Soil

Life in a Drop of Water

Both by Silverstein or something like that (sorry, it's been a long time) but they are available from Dover publications. Terrific books! All of my dc loved them and learned SO much.

Isaac Asimov has a number of books for young people that are out of print but may be available at your library or Amazon. One my son enjoyed:

How Did We Find Out About Atoms

I read about antibodies and the immune system in an Isaac Asimov science book in high school and it was the first time any author ever got me truly excited about biology. His writing is very clear. You just have to be careful as some out of date science books will be...out of date.

Susan

Also, the Tiner books "Exploring the World of..." would qualify, I think, for maybe 5-7th grades or so. They are engaging and cover a lot of history and historical context for science discoveries, as well as some scientific principles. I don't think that they are adequate for standalone science, but they are great to amplify RS4K Level 1.

Amazon reports that the "Planet Earth" book is written from a Biblical perspective. Does anyone know if the Chemistry and Biology books are also?

Amazon reports that the "Planet Earth" book is written from a Biblical perspective. Does anyone know if the Chemistry and Biology books are also?

I would say that that one is Christian-friendly but not Christian. It mentions historical stuff like when, for instance, a chemist writes that he is studying the elements looking for order because he believes that God created an orderly world, and he can understand him better by understanding his world.

To me, that is the kind of history that we tend to have written out of our secular history books that makes them less accurate.

There wasn't anything about Young Earth vs. Old Earth creationism or any details like that. I would say, though, that you could reasonably infer from the text that the author believes in a creative God. Without him ever really saying so. It's not Providential, though.

I hope that helps; it's a bit muddled, I know.

I guess I should give you a calibration.

I would not recommend Rod and Staff to non-Christians because I think it's too Christian. Same with Apologia, and with Quine.

OTOH, there are a bunch of books written by Christians that I would recommend to non-Christians because they don't present Christianity as fact, or if they do, it's for such a brief little section that I think it's easily skipped without losing much. Those would include SOTW, AAH, RS4K, LLLOTR, and this particular Tiner series, from what I have seen. HTH!

Amazon had a preview for the Physics book, which I looked at. It begins with a quote from Genesis in the first paragraph. It's also published by Master Books which, if I understand correctly, is an imprint of New Leaf Publishing Group, which produces materials for a Christian market.

But I haven't read the actual book, so take this for what it's worth.

ETA: I just used Amazon's "search inside" feature to search for terms like Bible, scripture, and God in the physics book. Each turned up several results from the book. One example is a comment that as a special creation of God, the eye is more sensitive than a camera.

Edited by MamaSheep

• 3 weeks later...
That would be great, thanks.

I finally got my book in (The Periodic Table Elements with Style!)

I really like it. The illustrations are cute and help to make each element memorable. The information is pretty easy to understand.

The info is presented as if each element is talking about itself.

Here is an example from p. 84:

Phosphorus

"I'm a jekyll and Mr. Hyde element - essential to life, yet wickedly dangerous at the same time - a chameleon that appears in black, red or white. I play a pivotal part in the DNA molecule and in the body, but I can be deadly. My white form ignites in air and even burns underwater! I can inflict terrible burns, and sadly I was used for that purpose in World War II."

"...I am also used in many foods as phosphoric acid...You can find me in any bottle of cola..."

etc.

There is also info on the date of discovery, density, melting point, boiling point and other info in a quick to read format.

It comes with a fold out poster in the back.

I'm definitely going to use it in the next science program I'm designing for my youngest son. It makes the elements really accessible to a younger age. I also think it would be great for older students because the elements are presented in a way that I think is really memorable.

HTH!

I'm specifically looking for "physical sciences" books (ie chem and physics), but would love to hear about really good science-related books in any field for late elementary and middle school.

How about Chasing Lava? It is the story of a geologist who was stationed on Kilauea in the 70s. The chapters alternate between a historical view of the geology station there and some story about his experiences.

I also liked the book Flu by Gina Kolata. It has the story of the 1918 influenza epidemic, the scientific quest for the cause and immunizations and then an account of what happened with the swine flu epidemic in the 1970s. It is a good book on science and how perception sways public health efforts.

I love Mr. Thompkins. A layman falls asleep at a lecture about relativity and wakes to find himself in a world where the laws of physics are... well... different. It's fun and fascinating and though it was written for physicists, the rest of us generally like it too. It's aimed at grown ups, though. ETA - Duh, an author would help, wouldn't it? It's by George Ganow and is called The New World of Mr Thompkins.

My eight-year-old recently read The Time and Space by Uncle Albert by Russell Stannard, a book that's supposed to be just like Mr Thompkins only for kids.

I love Mr. Thompkins. A layman falls asleep at a lecture about relativity and wakes to find himself in a world where the laws of physics are... well... different. It's fun and fascinating and though it was written for physicists, the rest of us generally like it too. It's aimed at grown ups, though. ETA - Duh, an author would help, wouldn't it? It's by George Ganow and is called The New World of Mr Thompkins.

I have a copy of Mr. Tompkins in Paperback (yes, that is the title!) by George Gamow for sale on the sale board. It contains two earlier books -- Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland and Mr. Tompkins Explores the Atom.

Regards,

Kareni

Here's a quote from Tiner's Exploring the World of Chemistry:

"Like gold, silver is used for jewelry and money. The Old Testament tells how Joseph's brothers sold him to the Ishmaelites for 20 pieces of silver (Genesis 37:28). Later Joseph became governor of all Egypt. He concealed a silver cup, probably made in Egypt, in the grain sack belonging to his brother, Benjamin (Genesis 44: 4-12)."

This is in a chapter about "money metals" along with much interesting scientific information.

This is the way Tiner brings the Bible into this book. Most of the citations are simply letting the reader know that whatever substance is being discussed was mentioned in the Bible. There is no creation/evolution material that I've seen, and there doesn't seem to be any outward proselytizing. Rather he's writing to a assumed Christian audience, and thinks they might value knowing about Biblical references or the beliefs of a scientist.

I would say that this book has a much more Christian "feel" than SOTW.