Menu

TV Watching Without Commericals - Is it possible?

We do not have cable and now only watch a few TV shows on our analog TV. We have 2 TVs, one for games, dvds, and videos. One for TV.

We are trying to decide if we should get the converter box or bag tv watching altogether. My dh's major complaint is the commercials on the few shows we do watch.

Is there a way to watch tv without the commercials?

DVR is one way. Depending on what your provider offers, they may have "on demand" content that doesn't include commercials. (We can watch *some* shows "on demand", but by no means all...)

Or you can watch television on DVD, if you're willing to wait 3-12 months after most things first air.

I do luuuuurve my DVR though. :)

We cancelled our DishNet because of the long commercials and limited variety. Now we go online with Hulu.com and watch movies. It's free and although the movies do have commercials, they are about 20 seconds long and only 2 or 3 per movie. If you have a newer TV (we don't) you can hook the computer up to it and actually watch it on the TV. I think there are some other sites with free movies...just google free movies.

We have this DVR by Philips

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10059151

We have had it for a few months and are thrilled with it. If it holds up better than our last few DVD players it will be perfect.

This is not TIVO and does not require any sort of monthly service. In a nutshell it is a DVD player with a hard drive. You can record shows without using disks or tapes of any sort.

Regarding commercials, because of the hard drive you can start watching a show while it is still recording. We start recording a show and about 20 minutes into the show start watching it. This way we can skip through the commercials. Or because it's so easy to record stuff to the hard drive we record shows and watch them whenever we feel like it. Hope that makes sense!