Menu

Am I the only one that dislikes checking independent work? How do you handle it?

With 5 boys close in age, I've looked forward to my boys being able to do work independently. What I didn't count on was how much I loathe checking their work. It seems like it piles up and I get behind and stressed. I usually can't check it immediately because I'm working with another child.

How do you guys handle this? I know as they grow the stacks of work are only going to get higher and the content more intense, so I need to come up with a successful system.

Some ideas:

1. Let your dc check own work with answer key and red pen. Some mistakes won't be found, but it is a good skill to develop. You scan for mistakes when done. Eventually, you don't need to scan much. It may help to tell them you will lower their score even more if they don't find and correct the mistakes.

2. Read answers aloud to your dc, while dc corrects work with red pen. Again, you scan for mistakes when done.

3. You correct work while dc are in some outside activity and you are waiting. Take a bag of work to do.

4. Do it while the oldest reads a story to the youngers.

The best solution I've found (but I only have 2) is to check last session's work at the beginning of the next session. It helps dd's to discuss errors immediately, and helps me to see if more teaching is needed on a topic.

It was cumbersome at first, but eventually they got into a rhythm and it goes pretty quickly now.

Well, I wanted my children to check their own work, but it came back to bite me. The hands off approach let stuff slip through the cracks especially with my 9th grader.

So, now I correct everything immediately. If a child finishes something, they bring it to me, and I check it. If I didn't I wouldn't have any idea what was going on. A friend of mine has her children finish all their independent work, and then they have one "correction" session.

I used to have my kids put their finished work in my "in" box. That was the worst. Nothing got graded that way.

Jennie

Well, I wanted my children to check their own work, but it came back to bite me. The hands off approach let stuff slip through the cracks especially with my 9th grader.

So, now I correct everything immediately. If a child finishes something, they bring it to me, and I check it. If I didn't I wouldn't have any idea what was going on. A friend of mine has her children finish all their independent work, and then they have one "correction" session.

I used to have my kids put their finished work in my "in" box. That was the worst. Nothing got graded that way.

Jennie

The way we do it isn't hands off. They have to correct immediately and then give me the status on what they got right or wrong, whether they understood the lesson and that kind of stuff. We still do lots of practice together so I am always aware of what they are doing. I just couldn't keep up correcting all the math my oldest did and he wrote terribly sloppy. Now that he has to read his own work he writes much neater.

I have struggled with this too. I was always walking back and forth to find the right book, the red pen, etc. I think I've finally worked out a system that works for us.

My boys do their independent work first in the day, so I check that when it's their time to work with me. I put all of the teacher's manuals/answer keys in a file box along with a pencil case that holds a red pen (and dry erase marker, but that's not for checking). I carry the file box with me so I have everything I need to check their work.

I still don't like doing it, but at least it's getting done!

With 5 boys close in age, I've looked forward to my boys being able to do work independently. What I didn't count on was how much I loathe checking their work. It seems like it piles up and I get behind and stressed. I usually can't check it immediately because I'm working with another child.

How do you guys handle this? I know as they grow the stacks of work are only going to get higher and the content more intense, so I need to come up with a successful system.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...there is no "successful" system.:tongue_smilie: It does get more difficult and it's just a matter of trying to get the olders to work as independently as possible so you can check work in a timely manner. I'm not a proponent of having younger students check their own work; in the case of your boys, for example, I don't think any of them should be doing that independently. Now, with my oldest, he does check his algebra problems and discuss with me any trouble spots. But I certainly wouldn't have my 9 year old check his own work. I do believe part of my job as a teacher is to be attuned to their daily work. But it's difficult, no question. At least in the case of math, the answers are black-and-white (for the most part) so it doesn't take a great deal of time. I'm finding with my oldest that I can get behind in reviewing some of his other work because it requires more of my attention, e.g. I can't do it in the course of the day.

So, no great solutions here other than to say what you're experiencing is normal. Not a great comfort, I know. The farther along in this adventure you go, the more you realize it is indeed a full-time job.:)

Shannon,

I was not addressing your post. I was just making a comment about our house.

Jennie

Jennie, I wasn't trying to be snarky, just using your post as a jumping off point to tell more about what has worked for me and why.

And anyways isn't this what a message board is for? I mean you may not have quoted me but I was just responding to your info and adding a different take on what you said.

It's sort of like you saying "I wasn't talking to you.." but you are talking to all of us as a whole.

Edited by mommybee

Awhile back, we instituted some changes to help with ds's attitude in school, one of which was having dh check the "homework" when he got home (usually after dinner). I like that method :) however, it doesn't always work due to dh getting home late, an evening meeting, etc., and in that case, I'll check the work the next day, before we assign something new.

I dislike it as well. I have 6 students. The reality is what I try to remind my kids about chores: it *really* is easier in the long run to do it in a timely manner and do it well "the first time". The amount of "mental space" undone school work on my part takes is really not worth *not* correcting independent work.

I've found doing it out of the house works best. Here, I designate YMCA homeschool activity as my time to grade papers. I sit and chat with other homeschooling parents, my kids go to PE and Art and I get most of the grading done. I've done it similarly at Dr's offices, baseball practices (and before game warm ups) and during slower days at one of my jobs.

A quote from a homeschooling Mom of 100 ..I exaggerate, but the point drove home with me and I tried to live by it daily.

It is a full time job and I spent many days just propped at my desk correcting homework. When the boys were done with a subject, they came to my desk and crossed it off the planner and then left the work on my desk for me to correct. If I didn't get to it during the day, I did it in the evening before bed. Really, you just need to figure out a plan for the day to include time to correct and life goes to so much better if you do it daily.

I do it at night. With 4 dc and other chores, I can't get it done in the daytime.

Each dc has a plastic rolling cart with drawers that they keep all their books and work in. When they finish something, if I haven't seen it, they put it on top of their cart. (If I've seen it, they put it inside the cart.) At night I take the stack of work from the top of the cart and go over it. If there's anything the dc needs to correct or do over, I leave it on top of their cart. Otherwise it goes inside the cart. In the morning, they know that if something is still on top of the cart, it needs to be addressed before they start the day's work.

:o)

I mostly do it at night, or with math which is more portable, sometimes I'll bring it with me to do while I'm waiting while they're at lessons. I don't much like it, and I tend to remember to do it when it's already late and then I don't get enough sleep.

As if that isn't enough, my older two just finished the Harry Potter books, and have been doing pretend assignements for Professors Snape, Flitwick, et al. My dd just brought me these and *insisted* that I read and "correct" them, with different color pens depending on which teacher I was supposed to be.

AAAAAAHHHHHH!:svengo:

I find that grading as you they go is helpful. Ex. as they finish a math problem, have the key out and let them give you their final answer. Some they do themselves with a the key and a little supervision. Other stuff I do once they are eating lunch. Mostly, I find it easiest to grade as you go, even if you are working with another child...spacing the neediest subjects for each child at separate times helps tremendously. That way if one is doing math (obviously would need graded quickly for the sake of corrections) while one is doing some independent reading or computer work, the other working on handwriting...good luck.