Menu

Cutting out white sugar and white flour in our home - what

do I substitute for the sugar? What kind of flour is good for baking with instead of white flour? Does wheat flour make the foods heavy? I can get wheat from a co-op, but also would like to use spelt. I know wheat causes inflammation in some of my family members. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Molly

Kefir/Oatmeal crepes are my favorite breakfast food. We get Oat groats (kinda look like wheat berries) and grind them. These crepes taste normal:-) We like to use vanilla yogurt.

Yummy Crepes

14 eggs

3 cups kefir or runny yogurt

1 tsp. sea salt

1 Tbsp. molasses

Process the above ingredients in blender until smooth. Then stir in . . .

1 1/2 cups arrowroot powder

1 1/2 cups oat flour

Stir until lumps are dissolved.

If the batter is too runny, add arrowroot powder in 1/2 cup increments until the batter is about the texture of heavy cream.

(but you want it pretty thin!)

Spoon by 1/4 cupfuls into a well-buttered crepe pan.

Cook around 30 seconds per side.

Sorry, I have no idea where the recipe was originally from....

Carrie:-)

Hi Molly-- we use Sucanat or Agave nectar for baking and find it works well. I use both UNbleached white and wheat flour... I usually have to modify a recipe to adjust for substituting wheat, but it is specific to the recipe and not difficult to figure out. A lot of recipes will actually offer substitution guidelines.

Sorry, I haven't tried the spelt (yet) so can't help with that!

HTH

Edited by Firefly
typos

I too do not eat white flour/sugar. In my baking, I use White Whole Wheat Flour (I grind my own or use some available from King Arthur's Mill). This is not white in the sense that it is processed, it's just a white wheat to begin with instead of red wheat. It is still whole wheat. It's lighter than flour from red wheat and it works very well in baking, I haven't had any problems with heaviness.

I typically use Honey or Sucanat. Experiment with different sweeteners, they'll each make things turn out a little differently.

Good luck! I hope this helps!

This is not white in the sense that it is processed, it's just a white wheat to begin with instead of red wheat. It is still whole wheat. It's lighter than flour from red wheat and it works very well in baking, I haven't had any problems with heaviness....

Funny about "white wheat"...when my mom first started to use this...my son didn't think it was "her bread" and almost wouldn't try it...it's so much lighter! He's very picky...luckily it tastes the same, so he will eat it!

Carrie :lol:

Oat flour is a good substitute, and for a while we made pancakes with rolled oats, cottage cheese and eggs and the kids really loved them. Arrowroot is a good substitute for a thickener.

We use Splenda almost exclusively for a sweetener in drinks.

If you are trying to get away from the high glycemic levels of flour and sugar then be sure to looke at carb contents of other sugar substitutes. Other sweeteners may be "natural" but they still are sugars and have the high glycemic effect and carbs.

We tried to use soy flour in bread type items but I could never get them to come out right. Also, they had a fake sour taste to them. However, you could try this and see if you get better luck.

do I substitute for the sugar? What kind of flour is good for baking with instead of white flour? Does wheat flour make the foods heavy? I can get wheat from a co-op, but also would like to use spelt. I know wheat causes inflammation in some of my family members. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Molly

I use a lot of honey and maple syrup. Depending on what you're making, you can use fruit juice or mashed ripe bananas or applesauce to add sweetness. I would stay far away from something like Splenda, and stick with more natural sweeteners.

I grind my own wheat berries and use that for most of my baking. I don't find it heavy, but I like whole wheat and whole grain things anyway, so I am probably biased. White whole wheat is a fabulous compromise, especially in cookies and other goodies. It is lighter in color and milder tasting.

I like spelt flour - it has a nice, nutty flavor. However, spelt does have a high gluten content, and if gluten is what is causing the inflammation, I don't think spelt will help.

A cookbook that may interest you is King Arthur Whole Grain Baking.

I'm using unbleached, organic sugar right now, because there are beginning to be some problems reported with Splenda, which I used for a while. There's a new, supposedly natural product on the market called Truvia. I haven't seen it in stores here yet....

isn't truvia just agave?

We use evaporated cane juice crystals in place of white sugar. I use Sucanat in place of brown sugar. I use whole wheat pastry flour (soft wheat) in anything that uses baking powder or soda for leavening. I use Prairie Gold (hard white wheat) in bread making and anything that uses yeast for leavening.

Jennie

Since we seem to have similar tastes ;), I want to ask you about the Sucanat. Does it have a strong flavor? I tried something that had an alcohol smell to it, and we hated it. I've been avoiding recipes with brown sugar and using honey in everything instead, but I'd love an alternative...

In my opinion, the key is not necessarily to replace white sugar with some other kind of sugar, but to cut down on the amount you use. If you cut down bit by bit, your taste buds will get used to it. Over a few months we cut down the amount of raw sugar in our best ever apple crumble recipe to almost half the original recipe. We water our apple juice down to about 50/50 and when we were eating yogurt we mixed the flavoured with natural 50/50 as well.

With flour, you can use whole wheat flour for cooking pretty much anything except sponge cake. :)

Rosie

I use Stevia for sweetening. I'm going back on the Candida diet (as much as I can) and have no idea what I'm going to do for baking. Generally, we've used Splenda for baking, but I don't know what to do about a flour substitute, either.

Millet flour, oat flour, and teff flour. The teff flour is good for cookies. The millet makes good pancakes. Oat flour makes good gravy, and is an OK substitute for most wheat products except pizza dough. Millet might make a good pizza dough, I haven't tried it yet, I can no longer eat any type of cheese.

isn't truvia just agave?
No it is made from stevia.

Acesulfame K is the best artificial sweetener, IMO. It can be found in the diabetic section of some pharmacies. My nutritionist approved it for pregnancy. He thinks it is the safest one out there. In fact, I wasn't able to find any negative talk surrounding it (I found some now, go figure.) I love the taste. I have also used some somersweet products. You can add some molasses to recipes that call for brown sugar.

I also get organic sugar. White sugar (and table salt) is bad due to all the chemical processing.

Barley Flour makes great cookies. It is lower in gluten, so you need to use maybe 1/3 of it with wheat in other recipes. It is similar to oat flour, but more nutritious and just slightly heavier.

Organic Kamut Flour similar to spelt.

Millet Flour good in cornbread and muffins, makes a great mashed potato substitute YMMV.

Brown Rice Flour Great for thickening and homemade egg noodles.

GF Sorghum Flour The best white flour sub for sweet foods that need a white color, or lighter, sweeter flavor (rather than a whole grain flavor).

Triticale Flour I believe this is a rye/spelt hybrid (my memory may be off)

Organic Dark Rye Flour tastes just like whole wheat, and worked for us wheat alllergy people. You can even make homemade "grapenuts" with it. Rye bread gets its strong flavor from fermentation. Keep refrigerated.

Org. Hard White Wheat Flour yeah, they have this too.

GF All Purpose Baking Flour was horrible in all baked goods but made good noodles.

All gluten-free flours benefit by adding some tapioca flour to the recipe (I don't remember how much) to make things less crumbly.

bobsredmill.com also has lots of recipes.

You never know with allergies. It turned out DD was allergic to wheat, buckwheat and oats, but no other grains.

HTH

Edited by Lovedtodeath