Menu

WWYD about a drowned Leapster?

My mom and dad bought my 3.5yo son a Leapster LMax for Christmas. I thought he was probably a little young, but very rarely ever nix a gift idea. So he really, really loved his Leapster. To make it easier to control the amount of time he spent with it, we mainly only allowed him to play with it during naptime, although this wasn't a firm rule. He'd take it to bed with him, play until he got drowsy, tuck it under his pillow and go to sleep. The remainder of the time, it was stored on a shelf in my closet.

This morning I left him in the tub for a sec while I went downstairs to get our oldest to watch him while I made coffee. In the time it took for us to exchange places, he climbed out of the tub, took it off the shelf and jumped back into the tub for a fun game of CARS. Sigh. We had a talk about which sorts of things are bath toys and which are not. I don't want to give him the idea that any time he breaks something it will be replaced. But. He is three. It was partially my fault for leaving him unattended (I can't help but have horrible visions of him grabbing something plugged in instead...shudder). We can afford to replace the toy because Leapfrog.com has it for $40 less a 10 off 50 coupon deal. My parents will be here in April. They will surely want to know how he's enjoying his game.

Curious....WWYD?

Barb

I wouldn't replace it. He is young, but still needs to learn what goes in the bath and what doesn't. Maybe wait until his bithday or next Christmas.

Ugh, what do I tell my parents though? Those things are expensive. I don't want to hurt THEIR feelings.

Barb

Ugh, what do I tell my parents though? Those things are expensive. I don't want to hurt THEIR feelings.

Barb

They get to live and learn too! Little kids ruin expensive gifts...it happens, it is part of being an adult as much as a kid.

They will be disappointed, but they will get over it just like he will.

I just found a book tonight that dd2 ripped the flaps out of. When I gave it to her, I had the conscious thought that she would probably do that exact thing. It is my fault for giving a 2yo a lift-the-flap book. 2yos are discovering how things work....she discovered that if you pull on flaps hard enough..they rip. Your ds learned that electronics don't go in the bath. Especially at this age, they have to have a consequence for it to sink in. If it just reappears...that is what they learn. He just needs a few months of not having it to learn that ruined means ruined, then count the lesson as learned (hopefully) and replace it if you want.

He's 3.5, give him a break. He's hardly at the age of reason.

If he's not some willfully destructive child who's other-wise learning all sorts of bad lessons, just replace his beloved Leapster. Make him happy, make the family happy. You won't ruin him for life.

Do make sure he understands no electronics in the tub (which it sounds like you've already done).

In this situation, absolutely replace it.

Bill

I'd replace it. If you had never explained what can and can't go in the bath before, it's not his fault. He has no way of knowing what would happen to something like that in the tub.

If it was me, I'd replace it. I'd feel it was my fault for leaving him alone/ unsupervised enough to be able to get out of the tub, to his room and back into a tub. To me if he was able to do all that, he was alone in a tub too long.

Plus, I'd feel like if I'd been there, he probably would have asked me if I would go get it for him to play with in the tub, and then I could have explained it's not a tub toy and why.

So yeah, I'd replace it for him.

My brother gave my dd a leapster early, and I let her have under the same conditions that you stated.

She used a wet wipe to clean the screen and it wouldn't work(Liquid got inside). I was prepared to replace it, because she had no idea a wet wipe would ruin then screen. (It started working again a week later, after all the liquid evaporated)

I see Tap's point, though. I don't think it is hurtful for your parents to find out what happened. One problem with giving a child a toy that's designed for older kids, is that they don't always know how to care for them.

If I remember correctly, isn't the leapster for ages 4 and up? To me, 3.5 is close enough that you can go over how to use and care for it, and let him have another.

Edited by Blessedfamily

If he's not some willfully destructive child who's other-wise learning all sorts of bad lessons, just replace his beloved Leapster. Make him happy, make the family happy. You won't ruin him for life.

Do make sure he understands no electronics in the tub (which it sounds like you've already done).

Bill

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Bill

:iagree:

Bill

:iagree: Yeah, ditto.

with him taking it off the "Mommy" shelf without permission. You say he's only allowed to play with it at nap time or other Mom sanctioned times, so I'd be irritated that he broke the rules which resulted in a broken toy.

Otherwise, I'd probably replace it but this fact would make me hesitate. I keep certain toys off limits brought out only occasionally and if one of my children (including my three year old) took out one of those toys without my permission, they'd lose the toy for a long long time. I don't have a lot of rules, but the few I have get followed, kwim?

I might replace it anyway and then tell Grandparents it was off-limits for now and make 3 yo earn it back by being "caught" following the rules a certain number of times.

I'd let it dry out for a week. See if maybe it works again (really!)... But after that, if it still doesn't work, I'd probably replace it. He's *3*. A week without his beloved toy (whether it works again once dried out, or you buy a new one) seems like pretty adequate punishment for a 3yo to me. (Since you *can* replace it and it sounds like you want to.) If he were 6, I'd make him earn the money himself (and provide extra jobs to help him do so). But he's three.

Have you let it dry out yet to see if it really is dead? I have had the kids leave toys in the rain and somethings have made it through the wash. We take the batteries out and let the whole thing dry for a day and try it again. If we are in a hurry, a hair dryer speeds up the process.

If it is truly dead then replace it. The grandparents feelings are important, and they would be sad if your son does not get to enjoy it.

Have you let it dry out yet to see if it really is dead? I have had the kids leave toys in the rain and somethings have made it through the wash. We take the batteries out and let the whole thing dry for a day and try it again. If we are in a hurry, a hair dryer speeds up the process.

If it is truly dead then replace it. The grandparents feelings are important, and they would be sad if your son does not get to enjoy it.

LOL, when I picked it up, the water *poured* out of it. It's still kind of sloshing around in there. I will leave it alone to see what happens, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope here.

Barb

with him taking it off the "Mommy" shelf without permission. You say he's only allowed to play with it at nap time or other Mom sanctioned times, so I'd be irritated that he broke the rules which resulted in a broken toy.

Otherwise, I'd probably replace it but this fact would make me hesitate. I keep certain toys off limits brought out only occasionally and if one of my children (including my three year old) took out one of those toys without my permission, they'd lose the toy for a long long time. I don't have a lot of rules, but the few I have get followed, kwim?

I might replace it anyway and then tell Grandparents it was off-limits for now and make 3 yo earn it back by being "caught" following the rules a certain number of times.

No, not really. It wasn't a black and white rule, I just sort of keep it out of sight, out of mind. He was never told he couldn't play with it outside of naptime, but keeping it tucked away was my way of keeping it a novelty a little longer, KWIM?

Barb

I'd replace it. If you had never explained what can and can't go in the bath before, it's not his fault. He has no way of knowing what would happen to something like that in the tub.

If it was me, I'd replace it. I'd feel it was my fault for leaving him alone/ unsupervised enough to be able to get out of the tub, to his room and back into a tub. To me if he was able to do all that, he was alone in a tub too long.

Plus, I'd feel like if I'd been there, he probably would have asked me if I would go get it for him to play with in the tub, and then I could have explained it's not a tub toy and why.

So yeah, I'd replace it for him.

Actually, this is um, kind of :blushing: but he bedroom is *in* my closet. We put a toddler bed, his potty, and his toy bin organizer in the walk-in closet when we moved here...no reason to let all that space go to waste, right? The closet door opens off the master bathroom where he was taking a bath, which is why he saw the Leapster and decided he needed it right then.

Barb

Bill

I was hoping to hear more 'replace it' votes. That's what my mom self was telling me. I have a Mom inner voice and a Dad inner voice. My dad was punitive and pretty harsh when I was growing up and my mom probably bent over backwards too far in an attempt to balance his style. So my inner voice is a little neurotic and confused at times like this. My first knee-jerk reaction (in my head, on good days) is, "Ugh! He should have known better!" Then my mom's voice kicks in and I think, "Poor little guy...he doesn't know any better." For some reason, I was having trouble deciding which voice to listen to this time.

I did order another one this morning. We plan to tell him we were able to 'fix' it because I don't want to hear, "just buy another one" the next time something breaks (and anyone who has a problem with that, I don't wanna hear it, LOL). I also found a backpack to store it in for only $10 on their website. They're having a big after Christmas clearance sale and I got the headphones for $5 and the cartridge wallet for $5. Some of the games are only $10 and I bought a couple to put back for his b'day in April. Here's a $10 off $50 coupon for anyone who can use it: HY8YUE and a $10 off two games coupon JA9LTR (even works for the $10 games). Such a deal!

Barb

I'd let it dry out for a week. See if maybe it works again (really!)... But after that, if it still doesn't work, I'd probably replace it. He's *3*. A week without his beloved toy (whether it works again once dried out, or you buy a new one) seems like pretty adequate punishment for a 3yo to me. (Since you *can* replace it and it sounds like you want to.) If he were 6, I'd make him earn the money himself (and provide extra jobs to help him do so). But he's three.

Abbey, I know you guys have a Leapster...did you see the great deals on their site I posted above?

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Here's a $10 off $50 coupon for anyone who can use it: HY8YUE and a $10 off two games coupon JA9LTR (even works for the $10 games). Such a deal!

Barb

Thank you, Barb! I've been trying to find a replacement charger for our Leapster at a reasonable price and now I have! I also picked up a few other things to tuck away for a later date!

For future reference, dh works with electronics and made the following suggestion:

In general, water usually means the death of the electronic item. However, if you DO NOT TURN IT ON to see if it will work, take out the batteries, drain all the water out, put it near a fan or use a hair dryer on it to get most of the water out, then allow it to be in a very dry environment for 24 hours or so, there is a reasonable chance that it will work again.

Apparently many electronic items have an emergency shutdown for the current overload from getting wet and will turn the item off immediately. If you can dry it out then, both from the water and excessive humidity inside the unit, the current will not fry all the circuits when it powers up again.

He has done this and had cameras, monitoring units, radios, etc. miraculously restored to function again. It doesn't work every time, but it does work enough times to make it worth the attempt.

For future reference, dh works with electronics and made the following suggestion:

In general, water usually means the death of the electronic item. However, if you DO NOT TURN IT ON to see if it will work, take out the batteries, drain all the water out, put it near a fan or use a hair dryer on it to get most of the water out, then allow it to be in a very dry environment for 24 hours or so, there is a reasonable chance that it will work again.

Apparently many electronic items have an emergency shutdown for the current overload from getting wet and will turn the item off immediately. If you can dry it out then, both from the water and excessive humidity inside the unit, the current will not fry all the circuits when it powers up again.

He has done this and had cameras, monitoring units, radios, etc. miraculously restored to function again. It doesn't work every time, but it does work enough times to make it worth the attempt.

Excellent tip and worth the bump. Thank you!

Barb