Menu

How sick is too sick for school?

How do you decide when one of your dc is too sick to have school? Obviously if the child was running a fever, vomiting, etc, you would not have school. But what about lesser symptoms? Where do you draw the line? Dd has been towing the line a bit the last few days and it's been really hard to decide whether to give her a day off or not.

Thanks in advance for your input/thoughts!

It really just depends on how they feel and their energy level. My DS becomes difficult to deal with if he's not feeling well. It's just not worth it to try to do school with him. My DDs on the other hand will muster through and I know if they becomes difficult that they really feel bad. Runny noses or a little cough but otherwise feeling well and school happens.

Obviously...fever, vomiting, or anything that is truly sick. But at 6 years old...a little handwriting...a little reading by the child...then aloud by you. You could add a little math or art. All these things can be done for a small amount of time and then you could have a break. Even a child that is sick could probably do at least a little bit of "school."

How do you decide when one of your dc is too sick to have school? Obviously if the child was running a fever, vomiting, etc, you would not have school. But what about lesser symptoms? Where do you draw the line? Dd has been towing the line a bit the last few days and it's been really hard to decide whether to give her a day off or not.

Thanks in advance for your input/thoughts!

I draw the line at activity level. If the child is not interested in anything but lying on the sofa resting and sleeping, no school is required. On the other hand, if the child is up and playing, we run a light school day. If the child has enough energy to get into trouble, it's a full school day. :D

I draw the line at activity level. If the child is not interested in anything but lying on the sofa resting and sleeping, no school is required. On the other hand, if the child is up and playing, we run a light school day. If the child has enough energy to get into trouble, it's a full school day. :D

:iagree: That's exactly what we do.

:iagree: I'll third that!

My oldest gets headaches quite often so I just give him a little bit of my coffee over the course of school and that seems to help his headaches. The headaches aren't as bad now that he has glasses but now when he does get them, they seem to bother him more. I haven't figured out why. I just hand him coffee and it seems to help. He won't drink my dh's coffee as he takes it black and I doctor mine with milk and sugar.

Heidi

I also try to do some read-alouds to gauge his illness. I've had him fall asleep during history before.

Also if there much weeping and you can tell they are sort of sick, but not really, I sometimes make him go lie down for a while. I don't want to make the school day a fight when it's borderline.

Me too. So when my dd had a fever, I let her stay in bed. Three days later when she gave herself a "sick day" but was running around playing Barbie and everything else, I turned into a truant officer quickly. :glare:

I judge by whether or not I'd send a kid to public school. Examples - this week a head cold is journeying through our family. Both my teens (who do attend school) have taken two days off - I trust they can tell how they feel (and they are the ones getting stuck with make-up work so they do not take days off lightly.) Both have been well enough to sit, coughing and using up tons of Kleenex, in front of the 'puter screens for hours. I have the same cold ...but since all i have to do is sit at the table while my 12-yr-old does 90% of her own work, Mom being sick does not get her a day off. I know she will get the cold soon and then she will have days off while she is plugged up and miserable.

:iagree: This is our policy. If they are not going to get much out of it we skip the day. Our goal is for mastery, and when they don't feel well it won't happen. We do read alouds and let them listen to music or books on tape. They also watch 'educational' tv/movies on those days too. Learning can happen even if it is not on the syllabus.

Same here.