Menu

Book as a gift for 5 year old girl

I would like to buy some books for a friend of mine's 5 year old girl. Any tried and true favorites that you can recommend? I know what my dd liked at that age, but I'd like to hear some other suggestions. I'm not entirely sure what to buy for that age.

ETA: I'm not sure whether to buy picture books or chapter books to read aloud for that age. I'm leaning more towards picture books as the little girl would likely get more enjoyment from them than if she had to wait for (busy) mama to read them to her, right?

Edited by plain jane

Are you looking for picture books, chapter books to read aloud,...???

Angelina Ballerina always seems to be a hit -- the hardbacks have lovely illustrations

Various Cinderella tales from around the world (The Korean Cinderella, The Persian Cinderella, etc...)

Pippi Longstocking (there is a beautiful hb version on amazon -- I think it's the first one that comes up if you search for it on there -- gave that one to my 6yo niece this Christmas)

American tall tales by Steven Kellogg (Sally Ann Thunder..., Mike Fink, etc...)

Mr. Putter and Tabby books -- so sweet & a gentle humor; these were always a favorite of my ds

A Porcupine Named Fluffy

Fairy tales such as Puss In Boots, The Three Sillies, etc....

Well if time is an issue, what about a book on tape? My dd LOVED Charlotte's Web when she was that age. The audio book is read by E.B. White. She had a stuffed pig she carried around for quite a while out of adoration for the whole thing, and a piggy bank she would call Wilbur and feed coins... Yup, a stuffed pick and book on cd would be pretty cool. Pretty sure she wouldn't have that. :)

See that's the trouble with books, you never know which ones they already have.

I second the books on tape! My 5 year old son (and almost 5 year old dd) LOVES audiobooks but really digs the ones where you follow along with the book.

Here are some that they like:

Frog and Toad Audio Collection

Ferdinand

I think the classics that have been mentioned like Charlotte's Web would be great too even without the audiobook.

I love to give beautiful editions of fairy tales to children that age, especially Kinuko Craft's Sleeping Beauty, Pegasus, The Twelve Dancing Sisters and Cinderella. These are stories that Disney or Barbie has done in their style, so little girls are often interested already, but the telling and illustration of Kinuko Craft and Marianna Mayer is majestic and true to the legacy of these tales.