Menu

2009 Oscar Nominations Announced

Paul, Don'tchaknow political threads are banned?

I object to the obvious ageism of Benjamin Button. I don't appreciate your attempt to infuse our board with your (pick one) neoconservative, military industrial complex, irresponsible free market politics, or your do-gooder, namby-pamby, America hating, liberal facism.:D

I object to the obvious ageism of Benjamin Button. I don't appreciate your attempt to infuse our board with your (pick one) neoconservative, military industrial complex, irresponsible free market politics, or your do-gooder, namby-pamby, America hating, liberal facism.:D

:lol:

:smilielol5:

There was a time when I would have seen all of the movies that had been nominated.

I have seen none of these. I wonder what happened.:001_huh:

Did we get old? :001_huh: Actually the only one I'm interested in seeing is Benjamin Button, at least for best movie nods.

I love that weird Mickey Rourke! Can't wait to see the Wrestler, except for Marisa Tomei (blah).

I've seen one of the big five (Benjamin Button), it was good, but not great. Technically a beautiful movie, but too long for its own good. Found Cate to be cold and boring, and Brad is well... Brad.

My folks have seen two more (we tend to agree on movies) and said they were amazing (Milk and Slum Dog Millionaire). I've heard nothing but great things about the Reader and Frost/Nixon as well. I will be waiting to see most of them on Netflix. It's just too expensive to see all the good ones these days. :tongue_smilie:

Brad Pitt? Meh. Not a fan. The last good thing I saw him in was A River Runs Through It, which was TOO LONG ago.

We live out in the boonies, so I'd have to catch a plane to see ANY of these movies (except Benjamin Button, which is the one I'm not terribly interested in). I especially want to see Frost/Nixon, Doubt, and Richard Jenkins' performance in The Visitor.

I kinda don't see how Heath Ledger can lose for The Dark Knight--and it was a brilliant, truly disturbing performance.

Perhaps it's that we've gotten older, but I think that also the nominated movies are less mainstream these days. So it's much harder to see them in the theater (and often a lot less enjoyable than the "epics" of yesteryear that used to win, given the themes today's nominees often focus on).

We will get to comment on red carpet gowns, right? Or will that be too political?? Because the red carpet is my fave part of the whole shebang. Love those gowns!

Oh! I'm *so* happy Richard Jenkins was nominated for "The Visitor!" He did *such* a wonderful job in that film!

So YOU'RE the one person who saw it! :D How is it that you get movies like The Visitor way out in Kansas, and I live less than an hour from the nation's capital and don't? That ain't right.

Slumdog Millionaire is a really great movie.

And I liked Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married. Doubt she'll win but it is a totally different role for her. She plays a drug addict just released from rehab to attend her sisters wedding. The movie is about the wedding but more so about all the family dynamics. And for anyone who has been forced to watch Elmo over the years...a bonus for me was that Mr. Noodle plays her father. :)