Menu

How Great is our God? (the song)

Most of the churches I've been to sing this. I love the song( been sining it for years), yes it is VERY famous and so is Chris Tomlin. Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, and others even sing this at their concerts. Here is a youtube of him singing it in an interview:

I'm sorry, Bill, I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I've been reading it and I can't stop grinning over the fact that you're a Queen Bee.

Er...how many more posts do you need to be a Beekeeper? Can I help?

SWB

Susan, I absolutely relish my "Queen Bee" status, and look with impending dread at reaching the next level. I thought about slowing down the posts...but I can't help myself.

Could I get a special dispensation? :D

Bill (once a "Queen" always a Queen :tongue_smilie:)

Another vote for the "praise and worship" category. :001_smile: And yes, it's a great song. Very powerful and awe-inspiring, especially in a packed-out room with everyone belting it out. Chris Tomlin is great.

Matt Redman is also a popular "praise and worship" artist with many songs that are sung in church.

I bawled my eyes out through a Chris Tomlin concert. He's much shorter than I imagined.

I'm sorry, but I'm cracking up -- I know you were just commenting on the concert, but the way your two sentences go together -- I just have this image of you, bawling because Chris Tomlin is so short, and he'll *never, ever* be any taller. :lol:

I'm sorry, but I'm cracking up -- I know you were just commenting on the concert, but the way your two sentences go together -- I just have this image of you, bawling because Chris Tomlin is so short, and he'll *never, ever* be any taller. :lol:

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm on a roll tonight!

Good grief! I almost spelled 'roll' as 'role'! :tongue_smilie: I think I'll log off before I REALLY embarrass myself.

I do love this song. It's one of the few that gives me chills when I sing it, every time. The other two? Amazing Grace and It Is Well With My Soul (if you haven't read the history behind these two, it's worth it to do so...)

Ria

How about "I Shall Not Be Moved"?

I'm editing a sequence right now for the end of the film, with a packed church full of people singing "I Shall Not Be Moved". Again, a very moving hymn.

This is an old one, right? Because even I've heard this one.

Bill (a burgeoning fan of P&W, who knew? )

I know I was certainly surprised when I discovered that I enjoyed P&W - or Christian music of any style. I started listening to Christian radio about 10 years ago in an attempt to calm my anger while driving. I figured I might be less likely to utter foul words while listening to people sing their praises to the Lord. Not only did it work but I discovered an untapped (for me) genre of music. Everything was new!

Yes, I'm going to see him live on Sunday. Can't wait. :hurray:

So as the newest new-comer to praise/worship fandom, I wanna know, how was the show? :D

We saw Richie Havens last night. Wonderful concert! A spiritual evening in its own right.

Bill (aging hippie)

So as the newest new-comer to praise/worship fandom, I wanna know, how was the show? :D

We saw Richie Havens last night. Wonderful concert! A spiritual evening in its own right.

Bill (aging hippie)

I was a little disappointed to be honest. I've seen him before and loved him, but this time not so much. He spoke in the middle of the concert for like 35 minutes which might not be that horrible, but the concert was at the Electric Factory in Philly and we were standing the whole time. :tongue_smilie: Time flies when you're having fun, when you're listening to someone talk... not so much. The opening act was

, they were fun.

How about "I Shall Not Be Moved"?

I'm editing a sequence right now for the end of the film, with a packed church full of people singing "I Shall Not Be Moved". Again, a very moving hymn.

This is an old one, right? Because even I've heard this one.

Bill (a burgeoning fan of P&W, who knew? )

Is that the one that goes "He is my defense, I shall not be moved" ?

If so, I LOVE that song, very moving (har har har):D

BTW, "How Great is Our God" is the song that brought me back to playing piano.

Is that the one that goes "He is my defense, I shall not be moved" ?

If so, I LOVE that song, very moving (har har har):D

BTW, "How Great is Our God" is the song that brought me back to playing piano.

"I Shall Not Be Moved" goes, in part:

I shall not be, I shall not be moved

Just like a tree that's planted by the water

I shall not be moved

On this rock of ages, I shall not be moved

I shall not be moved

Glory, glory, glory Hallelujah, I shall not be moved

Glory Hallelujah, I shall not be moved

I shall not be moved

I was a little disappointed to be honest. I've seen him before and loved him, but this time not so much. He spoke in the middle of the concert for like 35 minutes which might not be that horrible, but the concert was at the Electric Factory in Philly and we were standing the whole time. :tongue_smilie: Time flies when you're having fun, when you're listening to someone talk... not so much. The opening act was
, they were fun.

Sorry to hear it Karen. It's tough when one is excited to hear a favorite performer and the performance doesn't live up to expectations.

Bill

"I Shall Not Be Moved" goes, in part:

I shall not be moved

I shall not be moved

Glory, glory, glory Hallelujah, I shall not be moved

Glory Hallelujah, I shall not be moved

I shall not be moved

OK, that's not the one I was thinking of but that is a good one too!

Yes, we sing this in our church!!! Beautiful song!

I'm wondering if you all are familiar with the song "How Great is Our God"?

I'm making a documentary on a young family-man from Kentucky who had a very serious stroke, and his church organized a benefit concert to help raise funds for his care.

One of the groups sang "How Great is Our God". I'd never heard it before (big surprise :tongue_smilie:) but they did a great spirit-filled version, and I found it quite touching.

I just wasn't sure is this was a "famous" song or not. The assembled church-goers all seemed to know it (and were singing along). So help me out and tell me what you know about this praise-song.

Bill

The splendor of a King, clothed in majesty

Let all the earth rejoice

All the earth rejoice

He wraps himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide

And trembles at His voice

Trembles at His voice

How great is our God, sing with me

How great is our God, and all will see

How great, how great is our God

Age to age He stands

And time is in His hands