Menu

Anyone raise chickens in the city?

Technically I don't think I am allowed to raise chickens, but I am starting to feel like these are things I need to learn how to do and I need to start becoming more self-sufficient now. We can't move so I am thinking of getting a few chickens (no rooster). Can anyone give advice, or share thier experience? I would so appreciate it!

God Bless,

Michelle

There's at least one family in our town, that has chickens in town. It's legal here. It's a coop at night, and they have a large pen for during the day. It's pretty simple, she said. They looked happy pecking around. Here daughter had added some funny posters around the chicken house, and most of the materials were reused from something else.

Carrie:-)

I have a close friend that raises chickens in her backyard. It is not legal but they don't have complaints from neighbors and it has been years and years. They do get sick and die, racoons and cats get them, yet they get more and seem to think its worth it for the fresh eggs and giving the girls something to do.

We are planning on movie onto a few acres with the intent to raise chickens, for the food and also to...give the kids a new chore.

I can't wait.

My husband said we aren't having any more pets we can't eat. :smilielol5:

we have 4 hens right now. At one time we had info that it was legal in our city up to 6 hens, no roosters. Then dh talked to an animal control person who said no for our neighborhood, we live in a part of an historic neighborhood. So, we are not real sure our status...the neighbors love them, so I guess we are good.

I found a book called "Backyard flocks" that was really helpful, and we asked many questions of the owner of a local feed store where we eventually ordered our chicks from. I think the biggest thing was to be ready for them before you get them. They need warmth as chicks, and when they go outside they need a secure place where they will not be attacked.

we really love having hens, I only wish we had some land so we could have more.

p.s. our feedstore was willing to guarantee our chicks were hens, and would take back any mistaken roosters, you might want to ask if your store will do this, or find someone who has land that can take any roosters off your hands.

good luck, they are so much fun.

We do. And I've loved the experience. We have a large suburban yard, but these are city chickens, for sure.

For tips:

1) Coops really have to be secure. Everything likes to eat chickens, and predators like raccoons are powerful animals. We built our coop off the ground like a giant bird cage (we'd kept parrots and were not "farm-types) out of redwood framing and very heavy aviary mesh inset in panels, and with pull-out bottoms for easy cleaning. Very non-standard.

2) Bantam chickens are about 1/4 the size and weight of a full sized chicken, but their eggs are nearly as large, and they are much more appropriate to a back-yard flock.

3) I'd suggest you get an old fashioned breed such as Rhode Island Reds. They are great layers, beautiful to look at with their old fashioned brick-like bodies, and they retain their "natural" instincts. Some breeds (and even strains of certain breeds) are know as "production" birds. This means (essentially) that they have been bred to maximize yield (over what is expected to be a very short life) and any natural behavior which might be counter-productive to being stuffed for life into a tiny cage are bred out of them. Avoid "production" birds.

This (generally speaking) means not buying chicks at the local feed store, and instead going to the trouble of finding a source of "real" chickens. It's worth it. Watching chickens do their thing is really fun!

They are a surprisingly easy pet to keep, one their housing is set up.

Good luck in your adventure!

Bill

I'm about as far from town as you can get, but I love my chickens. I keep a small flock of banties, just for fun. Mine free range during nice days. I like the banties because they don't take up as much room. I hate chicken poop. Personally I can't tell any difference in the eggs, although dh likes them much better than store bought.

My chickies are mostly Silkies. They are much more friendly than other breeds, and are great mothers. I love going out and having a cup of coffee with them!

I do, but you have to find out your local regulations. In my shire we can have I think up to 20 chickens but no rooster.

We have only 2 chickens (we call them chooks in Australia) but we generally get 2 eggs aday. I want to get another 2 chooks though so that we have an abundance rather than always running down and checking because we have run out.

They are fun, easy to keep, and gobble up our scraps as well as chook laying pellets. I thin they are great pets and every suburban home should have some!

We can have 10 and no roosters.

I agree with Bill - an old-fashioned breed. We have a variety of breeds and our rhode island red - leghorn cross is the best. She lays an extra-large brown egg every single day. Right now we get 2-4 eggs a day, but Goldie lays daily.

We have ours in what is basically a large rabbit hutch. They are half the hard most of the day and in the coop at night - covered with a large grill cover - it's a long story. It is our first year with them. So far they have survived sub-zero nights and blizzard days. I have yard composter nest to the coop and every morning we scoop the poop into the composter and once or twice a week I put fresh wood chips or fresh hay into the coop. The kids get the eggs. The chickens eat all of the bugs, kitchen waste, weeds, and lawn clippings.

They did have full run of the yard daily, but once they got bigger, we got tired of the giant hen droppings. So now they only get the full yard a few times a weeks.

Enjoy your hens. They are great.

I don't have any building experience (neither does my husband) but I need the cost to be kept down for the building of it, so buying a premade is out of the question.

My dh hasn't built anything since high school wood shop (and that was a loooong time ago). He built our coop using this plan: http://www.organicgardening.com/pdf/coop_plans.pdf

He says it was a challenge because he really didn't know what he was doing, and he had to ask the men at the home improvement store for advice, but it was fun and the result is a cozy home for our chickens.

You could really keep the cost down if you know someone who can connect you with salvaged wood. Freecycle or Craigslist might be a good place to start.

Cat