Menu

What options are there for 5th-8th grade History?

JudoMom

Here is how we are doing it:

5th grade: FMOG, FMOR

6th grade: FMOMM, FMORR, FMOMT

7th grade: History of US books 1-5

8th grade: History of US books 6-10

I use study guides along with each of these. And the best part is that you can get the whole Famous Men of series free online in print and audio versions. I get the study guides from Greenleaf press (PDF download version for about $6 each). That is a very CHEAP couple of years of history! ANd he is learning a ton.

Here is how we are doing it:

5th grade: FMOG, FMOR

6th grade: FMOMM, FMORR, FMOMT

7th grade: History of US books 1-5

8th grade: History of US books 6-10

I use study guides along with each of these. And the best part is that you can get the whole Famous Men of series free online in print and audio versions. I get the study guides from Greenleaf press (PDF download version for about $6 each). That is a very CHEAP couple of years of history! ANd he is learning a ton.

Heather, you make it look so easy! And I mean that as a compliment! Can I hi-jack to ask about your plans? Do you have your 5th grader reading Literature that corresponds to ancients? Are you following a curricula for lit. or choosing your own? Thanks!

So, how different is it to get the famous men of ....series online and the Greenleaf press guide, than if I were to purchase this series from Memoria Press?

Carrie:-)

Well I haven't used the ones by MP so all I can say is...it's much cheaper! :D We don't even print it out (but you could if you wanted to). He can pull up the story on the computer and read it or pull up the audio and listen to it or both at the same time. Then he can pull up the study guide questions from the pdf file and answer them on paper or type out his answers right on the computer. It's the GREEN way to do history!:D

Heather, you make it look so easy! And I mean that as a compliment! Can I hi-jack to ask about your plans? Do you have your 5th grader reading Literature that corresponds to ancients? Are you following a curricula for lit. or choosing your own? Thanks!

Yes, he is reading literature that goes along with the time period. For instance, this year his book list is:

Gilgamesh the Hero

The Golden Goblet

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Pankration

Black Ships Before Troy

The Wanderings of Odysseus

The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way

The Aeneid for Boys and Girls

Detectives in Togas

Mystery of the Roman Ransom

Galen and the Gateway to Medicine

Aquila

We also do a lot of movies for this time period. I LOVE Drive-Thru History's series and so does he. Plus we DVR a lot of shows from the history channel (we're kind of nerdy like that!). Oh yeah, right now our read aloud is "Peril and Peace" from the History Lives series on the history of the church (Great books in this series!).

I follow an LCC-ish schedule so we only do history once a week but we spend a few hours on it. So on that day he will read/listen to usually two chapters of Famous Men and answer the questions that go with it and we will have discussion. The lit. reading takes place every day though and movies are thrown in at night usually for the whole family to watch.

I taught high school English for 12 years and I find most "lit" guides to be busywork. I usually just have him write about what he read...a summary of that chapter. Then we can use his writing with our IEW skills to improve it. It really is a pretty easy-going kind of curriculum that's packed full of great information.

Free Famous Men series can be found here: http://www.mainlesson.com/displayauthor.php?author=haaren

Free audio is here: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22John%20H.%20Haaren%20and%20A.%20B.%20Poland%22

Study guides are here: http://www.greenleafpress.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=27&sort=20a&page=1

HTH!

Edited by Heather in NC

I use Streams of Civilization Vol I & II from 5th to 8th grade. I wonder what SWB decide to recommend for history for the logic stage. Her book doesn't come out until 02/04/09 (according to Amazon.com), but that doesn't help us in the planning stages right now. I don't think I'll change the current progression for my older boys, but I might look at something new for my younger son.

We are in our 3rd year with this and it has been wonderful. Feel free to ask anything!

Why do you combine MOH with Truthquest? Do you feel like MOH is lacking something?

From briefly looking around the Truthquest site, it looks like it's for older kids. I do combine my kids for history, and was leaning towards doing a SOTW/MOH combination since my oldest will be a young 5th grader. With the ages of my kids (school aged ones will be 10, 9, 7, and 5.5 in the fall) is Truthquest something that would be better suited for our next go-round when I've got them in the Rhetoric/Logic stage rather than Logic/Grammar?

Man...if I'm this panicked at the thought of going into Logic stage, I'm gonna be a complete basket case by the time Rhetoric comes around :lol:!

Yes, he is reading literature that goes along with the time period. For instance, this year his book list is:

Gilgamesh the Hero

The Golden Goblet

Pankration

Black Ships Before Troy

Detectives in Togas

Aquila

Who is the author for Pankration - I would like to find the book -

when he accepted the Olympic flag from the Chinese at the end of the Beijing Games.

Really funny speech, my son has memorized it - and now we are curious about the pancration.

Who is the author for Pankration - I would like to find the book -
when he accepted the Olympic flag from the Chinese at the end of the Beijing Games.

Really funny speech, my son has memorized it - and now we are curious about the pancration.

Here is a link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Pankration-Ultimate-Game-Dyan-Blacklock/dp/0807563242/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231697488&sr=8-10

My ds LOVED this book. We are also big MMA fans which comes from the ancient pankration games.

Why do you combine MOH with Truthquest? Do you feel like MOH is lacking something?

From briefly looking around the Truthquest site, it looks like it's for older kids. I do combine my kids for history, and was leaning towards doing a SOTW/MOH combination since my oldest will be a young 5th grader. With the ages of my kids (school aged ones will be 10, 9, 7, and 5.5 in the fall) is Truthquest something that would be better suited for our next go-round when I've got them in the Rhetoric/Logic stage rather than Logic/Grammar?

Man...if I'm this panicked at the thought of going into Logic stage, I'm gonna be a complete basket case by the time Rhetoric comes around :lol:!

No, I don't feel that MOH is lacking anything, I just love the commentary and writing prompts TQ offers and the extra book and resources list are always welcome to me.

I also use Netflix and Annenberg media to really beef it up, especially for art history. My dd is in 7th and works completely independently for the most part in all her subjects except for the discussions. So I don't combine my kids in any subject, much as it appeals to me to do so.

I am using sotw with my 2nd grader with TQ because I want the Christian commentary with it. She may not "get" it all, always but I still find it valuable. The lessons in MOH get rather long in the 2nd and 3rd volumes. So I won't move her to MOH until 4th.

Gilgamesh the Hero

The Golden Goblet

Pankration

Black Ships Before Troy

Detectives in Togas

Aquila

We also do a lot of movies for this time period. I LOVE Drive-Thru History's series and so does he. Plus we DVR a lot of shows from the history channel (we're kind of nerdy like that!). Oh yeah, right now our read aloud is "Peril and Peace" from the History Lives series on the history of the church (Great books in this series!).

I follow an LCC-ish schedule so we only do history once a week but we spend a few hours on it. So on that day he will read/listen to usually two chapters of Famous Men and answer the questions that go with it and we will have discussion. The lit. reading takes place every day though and movies are thrown in at night usually for the whole family to watch.

I taught high school English for 12 years and I find most "lit" guides to be busywork. I usually just have him write about what he read...a summary of that chapter. Then we can use his writing with our IEW skills to improve it. It really is a pretty easy-going kind of curriculum that's packed full of great information.

Free Famous Men series can be found here: http://www.mainlesson.com/displayauthor.php?author=haaren

Free audio is here: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22John%20H.%20Haaren%20and%20A.%20B.%20Poland%22

Study guides are here: http://www.greenleafpress.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=27&sort=20a&page=1

HTH!

Heather,

Thank you so much for the links, Lit. list, and helpful info! I'm saving it!

Biblioplan is another one to consider (if you want a lot of reading). We are using it now for grammar level and I'm leaning toward using it again for our next time through. It has readers in 3 different age categories, so it won't be the same as our first time through. I think I'll also be incorporating more writing and it includes writing prompts. Many have said that Biblioplan is a better fit for logic stage than grammar (though it's been great for us in grammar level too).

• 3 weeks later...