Menu

What sewing supplies could you NOT live with out?

Also, I LOVE my Viking sewing machine. Love it. I would probably not sew without it. I don't sew much these days, but when I get to, I enjoy it because I have a good machine. Also, you can't beat an excellent pair of scissors like Ginghers, and a good rotary cutter & cutting mat.

The other thing that I love is my magnetic pin cushion. What a dream come true. You can pretty much aim the pins in its direction and they land on it. No more pins all over the place. It's lovely.

Oh yes, let's not forget the seam ripper!:D

Here is my list:

Great scissors, I wouldn't want to be without my ginghers (I have three pairs and the kids know not to touch them, at all. Of course, DH sometimes forgets.)

Rotary cutter and cutting mat

Glass head pins, so you can iron over them

Large cutting table

Iron and large ironing board

Lots of thread colors (and I like Aurofil thread)

Lots of bobbins

Lots of presser feet for my machine

many different types of machine needles

Freezer paper for making patterns and stencils

Parchment paper to use when fusing for art quilts

Wonder Under for art quilts and fabric postcards

Ok, I could go on. But really, good scissors, my rotary cutter, threads, and machine needles are my biggies. Oh, and glass head pins so you can iron over them.

And, I love a great fabric/quilt store.

Hope this helps.

The absolute essentials:

Assorted needles

Beeswax for coating the thread

A very nice pair of scissors

about a 1/2 pound of very good pins

A vinyl coated measuring tape of 60"

A seam gauge,

A wooden point turner

Some very good tailors chaulk

Some tailors marking thread

A very nice pair of embrodiery scissors

A third hand

A very good iron, ironing board, and tailors ham

A nice yard stick

A number 4H pencil, or a mechanical pencil with 4H lead.

Some safety pins in assorted sizes.

You can sew quite well with just this.

Then I would buy

a seam ripper

a magnetic pin holder

a 12 inch wooden ruler with a steel edge

a pair of thread snips

a full length mirror

a cardboard table protector (cutting board)

a tailor's clapper

and a good lint brush

some darning needles and a darning egg

a small embrodiery (sp?) hoop

a very good mechanical sewing machine that does straight stitch and a zigzag.

I sewed for twenty years with nothing more than this list.

If your still at it with this amount of equipment, you can then begin to specialize with the sorts of things that are specific to what you like to do most.

a table to lay fabric out on, instead of having to crawl around on the floor. Ugh. I get bruises on my poor shins when I do that, my shins being the only part of my body that is still skinny [*bg*]. I have a folding craft table that I love; its sides drop down when not in use, and it has a removeable cover, like an ironing board cover. I *love* this table.

I'm thrilled to death that in this house I have a whole room for crafty-sewing-whatnot, and that I can put my sewing machine on a table and just leave it there. 30 years of sewing in the living room or dining room seem like a bad dream, lol.

My sturdy Bernina 900 (pre-computerized model), gingher scissors, seam ripper, different sized needles (embroidery, quilting, walking foot (for machine quilting quilts) and the small fish hooking one for hand tying quilts or sewing on buttons), rotary cutter, mat and long quilting ruler.

I also enjoy hand work so I have some pearl cotton, embroidery threads and I never seem to have enough basic white and black, natural quilting thread when I need it.

I enjoy quilting, hand embroidery and working with wool (blanket stitch, pennyrugs, primitive rug hooking). Right now I am mainly finishing hand projects while my children are in piano lessons. So I have a small bag with small gingher (embroidery) scissors, magnetic needle catcher, thimble and project of the day/month, etc.

Amy

I am thinking about asking for a rotary cutter and mat for my b'day but I am not sure. I am trying to keep things simple. I will have to follow this thread

I got a cutting mat for christmas. I am glad I got a big one from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B7MUGY

I can cut out my pattern without having to adjust a small pad.

Since much of my sewing is mending with my two children at their present ages (and living in a tiny 2-bedroom apartment), I find my dritz stick (the one whose numerals haven't been sucked off), a tiny little hook for dealing with snags, and a plastic point/curve turner to be the neatest - beyond the ripper, scissors, and sewing machine, of course!

My serger (can't believe I went so long w/out one!)

Huskystar sewing machine (just a good, basic workhorse)

Rotary cutter & mat (makes is so much easier to cut stretch fabric w/out distortion)

Sharp scissors that are ONLY for sewing!

A plethora of machine needles (always need to change these for the light stretch fabrics I use)

Turning "sticks" - I don't know the name of these, but they are plastic and you can attach them to the fabric/elastic so you can turn long narrow things, or run elastic through waistbands, etc. (they are dark blue plastic, made in Japan) I freak when I misplace one!:rolleyes: