Menu

Latina Christiana DVDs

vettechmomof2

Does anyone use them, are they worth it, do they teach anything that the books do not?

I have an older edition of LCI but my daughter loves things taught by dvd and i wondered if these would actually be beneficial. We are on a VERY tight budget and if i do not need them I would be very happy but if they will help, maybe even give me a free moment to do something else then I will GLADLY get them.

A pro for me to these would be that my 4 year old could watch them with her. He loves doing work with big sis.

Allene

I bought them for LCI and ended up not using them very much at all. My children actually preferred not to watch them and have me teach it! I was always surprised by that myself. I am not sure why, because I did all the stuff she does on the DVD, with the daily recitations and review of noun cases and conjugations and such. I didn't mind, though, as I am trying to learn some Latin along with them.

One thing that has bugged me about these DVDs is that the entire lesson is one long chapter, and that makes it difficult to find your place again if you only want to watch a little bit at a time and find your place again quickly. Maybe others with superior DVD skills won't have this problem, though!

Soooo...I'd say you're fine skipping them. Just listen to the CD to get some idea of pronunciation.

Amy in Colorado

We use the DVDs and they have been a success.

Child watches the whole lesson (not the exercise bit) on Monday, then has the remainder of the week to complete the exercises - without the DVDs.

If your child needs your help with doing the exercises then you will need to know what has been taught - I have two v. different students, one does everything in two days with no help from me, and the other I need to be there every step to watch all that is done.

I wouldn't be able to do latin with the kids without the DVD's! I have the kids watch the whole lesson and take notes. She has memorization helps that she does with them and the grammar explanations are very clear.

We watch the lesson on Monday and then work through the cards, cd and lessons during the week.

I also like the recitation time they have at the beginning of each lesson.

All in all it has made my life much easier and has been well worth the money.

We use them and have found them to be very well worth it. The instruction is so easy to understand. It's like having a Latin instructor right in your home. I'm learning right along side my dc.

I wouldn't be able to do latin with the kids without the DVD's! I have the kids watch the whole lesson and take notes. She has memorization helps that she does with them and the grammar explanations are very clear.

We watch the lesson on Monday and then work through the cards, cd and lessons during the week.

I also like the recitation time they have at the beginning of each lesson.

All in all it has made my life much easier and has been well worth the money.

:iagree: Another vote for the DVDs! We love them. We also use them as described here. We watch the lesson on Monday and if we need to, we can watch any of it again, we can. I just use the ff on my remote to get us to what we need.

Then we spend the rest of the week on the lesson, cd, etc.

I held off on the DVDs because I had heard that they were pretty much the text. I wish I had spent the money earlier and there are soooo many things I can't say that about. She does a lot more than I used to do and it makes the subject matter a lot easier for all of us. I had the old copy too and it just frustrated me. I feel bad for the dc that had just the old book and me.

Saying that, you might be better prepared than I was. If you watch a few classes and she doesn't seem to make you scream than you will be sure.

good luck

My children did this with my mom and the dvds to watch. She wouldn't have chosen to not have the dvd help. It was actually so good that she said they could have gone from LCI to Henle. (They've done through Henle Unit 2, and this is how she feels so far). She only wishes that they had done the lessons for Henle, too. I know they have the Beta....but ,my mom wants to do Henle...

Carrie:-)

One more vote for the dvd's. They save me a ton of time and when I have the chance I sit and watch with my dd. One thing I added: I typed up a page for each lesson with the derivatives because they aren't in the student manual. Three columns, latin word, english definition, derivatives. Dd uses these during the dvd lesson as the teacher does a section on them. Without the sheet, dd would just be sitting there, not getting as much out of it.

Edited by Alenee

I love the DVDs because I don't know Latin and I'm using them to learn along with the children.

Child watches the whole lesson (not the exercise bit) on Monday, then has the remainder of the week to complete the exercises - without the DVDs.

This is basically what we do.