Menu

Amazon Prime Question

I signed up for Amazon Prime 1 month free trial. I noticed it charged by card $1. I would think this is to verify the card # is legit. Do I get that dollar credited or am I out a buck? I know it's only a dollar and worth the 2 day shipping for the item I just ordered. I was just curious to know what happens next.

Thank you for your help!

Thank you Laurel! If anything, I will post a response to what happened in case someone else has this question.

I tried to search the boards for the answer and didn't get the right key words down. There were a few pages of post that came up.

I imagine that it was to verify the card as it is automatic renewal.

We LOVE Prime here. We just renewed our yearly contract this week. We've probably received over 100 packages from Amazon in the past year. I want a book, in the cart it goes, check out, and done. I send gifts. Buy books for college students. Homeschool books. Organic cookies. All 2 day, some they even come next day. And no tax.

I imagine that it was to verify the card as it is automatic renewal.

We LOVE Prime here. We just renewed our yearly contract this week. We've probably received over 100 packages from Amazon in the past year. I want a book, in the cart it goes, check out, and done. I send gifts. Buy books for college students. Homeschool books. Organic cookies. All 2 day, some they even come next day. And no tax.

You can use Amazon Prime to send to other addresses too? Or, will they just ship to your address?

You can use Amazon Prime to send to other addresses too? Or, will they just ship to your address?

I think that up to 4 people can use the account. I've shipped books to 3 different college students, gifts to inlaws and family and I've even shipped books to myself when we were away from home and wanted a book. So I don't think that it is 4 addresses as I definitely exceeded that. My oldest daughter uses my Prime account and she has here own credit card information in the system.

It does ask for new payment information for each address you ship to.

I was going to not renew after the 1 month free trial. You ladies may have convinced me to talk this one over with dh. I may never shop outside again:lol:

What would you consider worth the cost? I am not a big shopper on Amazon to begin with. I may end up buying items just because I would get 2 day free shipping. How do you budget yourself out for the year of membership to Amazon Prime?

So many things to consider, lol!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

When I first sampled the Prime I also thought it was a luxury. I thought I would just take advantage of the one free month and not be willing to pay for the year. Then I started discovering unforseen perks.

My favorite thing about the Prime membership? If they have a great deal or if one of the books I want is suddenly available as a bargain book for 7.99 instead of 15.99, I can buy it and only it. I don't have to come up with order fillers and reach a total of $25. Don't get me wrong. I can always find things I want. I have wish lists of things that I want. But I don't always have $25 to spend.

Along the same lines, I love that if I want to do their 4 for 3 deal, I still get the free 2 day shipping and I don't have to add a 5th book just to reach the $25 total. I would rather have that 5th book serve as one of four for my next 4 for 3 deal! :)

Also, being a homeschooler, I love love love that if something strikes my kids' fancy and we take a bunny trail, I can order a book to complement the bunny trail and have it arrive two days later (or one day for the extra $3.99). Again, I can order only that book and not have to place a larger order in order to get the free shipping.

I mean, obviously the shipping isn't free. You pre-paid it. My point is only that the service is well worth the annual fee for me. Amazon was already my favorite online place to shop before Prime though. Their prices are better for most things and almost always for books, definitely as compared to local brick and mortar stores. The Prime just makes my life easy as pie.

Kristina

Yep... it is a pre-paid shipping sort of thing. However, Amazon is frequently MUCH cheaper than brick-and-mortar stores. I think in the long run, prime pays back in encouraging me to order books less expensively online than go and spend in person and pay full price for my immediate gratification.

Of course, I'm a recovering book addict. I went book-purchase-free last year (2008) so I'm just coming off cold turkey and trying to have restraint.

I don't remember the buck. Probably like the PP's say, it's a verification thing.

I love my Prime! Love, love it! No more waiting and I order all the time. Some things other than books I don't pay shipping on. I'd rather give up tv than my Prime!

You can ship to any US address with the free shipping. (If you are shipping to a state in which Amazon has an actual building, you will have to pay sales tax. I know WA is one such state.) And, like a pp mentioned, you can add four family members to your Prime account, to spread the wealth a little bit.

Dp and I share the same Amazon account, but if he had his own, I would add him. And my sister is added to my Prime membership, so she can have free 2-day shipping as well. (She's a college student with a DVD obsession, so she gets plenty of use out of it as well.)

It seems like a luxury, but I do think it pays for itself (if you buy a lot of things that Amazon offers). If I want a book immediately, I can wait a day or two instead of buying it at Borders, and save money.

When I first sampled the Prime I also thought it was a luxury. I thought I would just take advantage of the one free month and not be willing to pay for the year. Then I started discovering unforseen perks. .....

Agree with all Kristina wrote and will add that I end up spending less money with Amazon Prime than without. Really! Let's say my toaster breaks. I jump on Amazon, compare prices and reviews (don't want to just buy any toaster and find out later it's a lemon), then buy just that toaster. Not the $150 worth of other things I talk myself into at Walmart or Target. Have you ever noticed how you can walk out of Walmart with 2-3 piddly bags and spend $150 or more? Impulse purchases really add up fast, particularly with the pesky sales tax tacked on. And it's a lot easier to abandon some things in an online cart than it is your physical cart at the register once you see the total and experience sticker shock. Less embarrassing to pay the tab and promise yourself you'll do better next time. Amazon keeps me focused on the one item I need.

Amazon has kids shoes, food, cleaners, and other things you wouldn't expect at bargain prices. Or even if it's slightly higher priced, the money you save on gas and tax and the soda you grab at the last second will more than make up the difference. Not to mention the time you save. Oftentimes, the product is at my door before I would have been able to carve out time for an errands run during the week. And Amazon bends over backwards to keep their Prime customers happy. The service you are purchasing is impeccable.

Barb

Y'all are talking me into this. The few months you get free, does the year start AFTER those free months or does the membership kicked back to the initial date you signed up?

Back when I signed up, it was after the free trial ended. But you may want to check because that was 2-3 years ago.

Barb

I REALLY keep trying to convince myself to get it. :001_smile:

The dvd's are much cheaper, and I buy my read aloud books from them at great prices. I keep trying to think of what else I could buy to make it worth it since I'm already getting free shipping (I always spend at least $25) and it never takes more than 2-3 days.

They carry some of the organic food I buy, but at higher prices than the grocery store and I have to buy six boxes at a time. Boy, oh boy would it help me if I could buy grocery items there!

I REALLY keep trying to convince myself to get it. :001_smile:

The dvd's are much cheaper, and I buy my read aloud books from them at great prices. I keep trying to think of what else I could buy to make it worth it since I'm already getting free shipping (I always spend at least $25) and it never takes more than 2-3 days.

They carry some of the organic food I buy, but at higher prices than the grocery store and I have to buy six boxes at a time. Boy, oh boy would it help me if I could buy grocery items there!

If you use salon hair products, they have good prices on those too! I buy dh's American Crew Pomade and gel in 2 packs for the same price I would pay for one in the mall. They also used to sell Bumble and Bumble at a good price.

You really just have to sit down and start thinking about what you pay full price for, and anything you make a special trip for (so you can discount gas).

I love to run errands, so I don't use Prime to avoid paying gas, but I do see the value, especially if you live in a rural area with limited resources.

I do need to try to think of other things I can buy there. Right now I have two items in my basket and am looking for a third to make $25. I always do, but it would be nice not to have to. :001_smile:

Shucks, now that I think of it, this is my third $25 order since Saturday. I think I have an Amazon monkey on my back.

I'll bet the mailman's ticked. Packages slow him down.

I recently discovered they carried feminine hygiene products. :001_smile:That was news to me.

You know, they really do get it to you more quickly than shopping locally sometimes. I ran out of vitamins and have been meaning to go to the store all week.

As a back-up, I ordered them from Amazon on Tues. at 1 am and they were in my mailbox today. And I still haven't gotten to the store yet..:lol: It's too cold and wet out there!

... Right now I have two items in my basket and am looking for a third to make $25. I always do, but it would be nice not to have to. :001_smile:

Well! I got up this morning to find another item to make $25 so I can place this order. They raised the price of one of the dvds in my basket by $1 overnight. :glare:

Guess I better think harder about Amazon Prime! :001_smile:

I really love Amazon Prime. It's unbelieveable what you can get at Amazon. Even more savings occur when you subscribe to ship and save (I think), getting something shipped monthly (coconut oil is one thing I get). If you don't need it that month, there is always enough time to cancel it. If you need extra that month, you can ask for it. It's a big savings that way.

We get so many orders from Amazon prime because they carry so much. If you need it overnighted for some reason, it's only $3.99.

• 3 weeks later...
The 1.00 charge was probably just a pre-authorization to make sure the card was valid. Many businesses do this. It should fall off (go away) within 2-3 business days.

I forgot to follow up to this post:

As elegantlion stated the $1 fee did fall off. It showed pending and then didn't post so, I was never charged.

I have enjoyed my free trial of Prime so far! My dc were able to use their Christms money to buy what they wanted less the sales tax and shipping:O) The were so excited to receive packages for them that was not a used book:O)

Thank you Hive!