Menu

Quick allergy safe cake idea needed from allergy moms

Spryte

We have complicated allergies.

DD is having a baked milk challenge tomorrow and I need to bake a cake with actual milk in it. Today.

Due to the other allergies, it can’t contain (or be a may contain for) peanuts, tree nuts (no almond flour!), sesame, lentils,  banana, avocado, wheat. It must be gluten free, and now because of my mast cell issues, it must also be corn starch free. Even pouring powdered sugar into a bowl can make my throat close!

We usually use Namaste when we need a mix. No corn starch. But we are out and our local store just stopped selling them.

The recipes I’m finding online contain corn starch, aaaagh.

Please help me out with boxed mix ideas or recipes.

Do you have arrowroot, tapioca, or potato starch? You can use them 1:1 in those recipes. If you have a packet or individual serving of unsweetened applesauce, add that too because gf starches can make cake extra dry. 

I have arrowroot that is safe for us. Bob’s Redmill won’t work for our other allergies, it’s us cross contaminated, but we do have arrowroot! 

I also have an unopened bag of Better Batter, which has no corn starch. Maybe I can find a BB recipe that would work.

How about this recipe with regular milk?  I’ve never actually made it with regular milk.  And just use your better batter flour.  I don’t use the recommended flour, I use a mix of oat flour and an “all-purpose” gf flour I can get locally.  We have a rice allergy, so most all-purpose gf flours don’t work for us either.

https://audreydunham.com/gluten-free-perfectly-vanilla-vegan-cupcakes/

Chocolate flourless torte was where my mind went too—with a chocolate ganache frosting and fresh raspberries….if butter counts as baked milk.

If it doesn’t, because the milk protein is bound in fat, I can dig through recipes later today….like faithfullyglutenfree’s chocolate bundt cake might work…but it has gums and some other stuff in it.

Edited by prairiewindmomma

From what I’ve read, it needs to be mixed with flour.  I think there may even be a specific ratio of milk to flour that they use for a baked milk challenge.  When the milk mixes with the flour and is baked it changes the protein slightly, which is why some people with a milk (or egg) allergy can tolerate it.  I’m not sure if milk or butter makes a difference.  Cream in a ganache would definitely not work for a baked milk challenge.

Our allergist basically got us to do a baked allergen challenge at home.  We are supposed to be trying to work up both the dairy and egg ladder.  We hit a snag a while back and started back at the bottom, and we decided to stick with one at a time.  So currently my daughter is eating lots of regular goldfish crackers for exposure to milk.

• Thanks 1

Yes, we are doing an in office baked milk challenge, and it needs to be milk mixed with some type of flour and baked.

I tried our regular GF, everything-else-free muffins, and after reading a bit that it would work — I subbed milk for the water. Oh my word. They looked beautiful! We can’t do frosting or icing, so I dipped them in earth balance safe butter and cinnamon sugar. And then DH and I tried them. Aaack. They were raw in the center, Nevermind that the toothpick came out fine. Cooking more just gave us burned sugar with a gooey inside.

DH is now making this: https://glutenfreebaking.com/easy-gluten-free-chocolate-cake-recipe/ and I’m sure it will turn out better.

DD is so, so nervous and scared and stressed. I hope this recipe works and tastes good. We have her BFF coming along for support, and a plan for watching movies while we do the challenge. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Yes, we are doing an in office baked milk challenge, and it needs to be milk mixed with some type of flour and baked.

That's not fair because the first thing that comes to mind for me is to make the cake part out of mousse.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Spryte said:

DD is so, so nervous and scared and stressed. I hope this recipe works and tastes good. We have her BFF coming along for support, and a plan for watching movies while we do the challenge. 

Poor kid, I hope it goes easily.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

I tried our regular GF, everything-else-free muffins, and after reading a bit that it would work — I subbed milk for the water. Oh my word. They looked beautiful! We can’t do frosting or icing, so I dipped them in earth balance safe butter and cinnamon sugar. And then DH and I tried them. Aaack. They were raw in the center, Nevermind that the toothpick came out fine. Cooking more just gave us burned sugar with a gooey inside.

DH is now making this: https://glutenfreebaking.com/easy-gluten-free-chocolate-cake-recipe/ and I’m sure it will turn out better.

GF baking is definitely a science!  Changing recipes is something I do with caution… you never know how it may turn out.  I like The Loopy Whisk for recipes.  She is pretty good with substitutions.  She also has a gluten free flour blend in her cookbook that actually works for all our allergies.

Good luck with your challenge!  I know it would be a big fight with my 10 year old. It is very difficult to find foods that she will actually eat with baked milk.

• Like 1