Menu

Preschool Busy Bags - was LEGO/Duplo question

• TechWife changed the title to Preschool Busy Bags - was LEGO/Duplo question
11 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I remembered they don’t fit well when my kids were very small. 

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/help/building-with-lego-and-duplo-bricks-ka000

LEGO® plates also won’t fit on DUPLO® parts, and neither will LEGO® parts with an odd number of studs along one side. “

Do you think a 3 year old could manage LEGO? I’m thinking not yet. 

I changed the thread title to reflect my project. I’m making busy bags for my newly 3 year old great-nephew. 

I am looking for a puzzle that has 12 pieces or so. It needs to fit in this bag. I can make a copy of the cover & put it on a card for him so he has a model. Does such a thing exist?

What ideas can you give me for independent play? I just keep coming across matching games. Sigh. 

13 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Do you think a 3 year old could manage LEGO? I’m thinking not yet. 

Mine started playing with the regular pieces from before 2 years old. According to my parents I started with regular LEGOs around that age too since I used my older cousins’ LEGOs. My niece started around the same age. I gave her a gallon size ziploc bag worth of loose LEGOs to start her collection. The quantity I gave her is similar to this link

LEGO classic creative suitcase 213 pieces

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Classic-Creative-Suitcase-Building/dp/B075QRWRYP

• Thanks 1

Wiki sticks 

Crayons (ones in a plastic case were better for not breaking on the go) and blank sketch book paper (not coloring books)

Doll people - the kind with attached clothes, like the Melissa and Doug brand, for dollhouses, but just the people 

• Thanks 1

My daughter also was really into trains. I picked up a tube of small trains (think Wild Republic tubes) and fat popsicle sticks, that I drew tracks on. She could set up a small train line in a church pew... but inevitably, there would be train whistles. So not so great as a QUIET busy bag.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, TechWife said:

What ideas can you give me for independent play? I just keep coming across matching games. Sigh. 

Trains and some tracks

Magformers e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Magformers-14-pieces-Magnetic-Educational-Construction/dp/B000II0T5K/

Lincoln Logs 

Also, could not see the bag in your link so I was estimating what had fit into a gallon size ziploc when my kids were small. 

ETA:

Mine also love the Mexican Dominos in a small metal tin. They use them to build stuff as well as for building domino rallies. They never played the mexican domino game.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

You can take a dozen or so Duplos and build a larger rectangle with them, then draw on one face to make your own puzzle. Eventually it wears off, or you can clean it off, and make a new puzzle. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TechWife said:

I am looking for a puzzle that has 12 pieces or so. It needs to fit in this bag. I can make a copy of the cover & put it on a card for him so he has a model. Does such a thing exist?

Your link isn't working for me, but would any of these work?

Kids' progressive puzzles with 4, 6, 9, and 12 pieces:

https://a.co/d/0fTw8eiW

https://a.co/d/0fXrGq43

Kids' 12-piece puzzles:

https://a.co/d/00Xh8tKv

Assortment of 12-piece "pouch puzzles":

https://a.co/d/0gq3KcPX

Edited by MercyA
  • Thanks 1

The reason Legos aren’t recommended for toddlers is because they’re a choking hazard. My 5 year old with autism STILL isn’t allowed to play with them unless we’re playing with her because she can’t remember to not put them in her mouth and her siblings can’t remember to watch her and tell her to spit them out. 

One of the Instagram moms I follow highly recommended small magnetic blocks sold on Amazon for travel. Her husband has been deployed & had leave in Europe so she took her probably 2 & 4 year olds & her in-laws there to see him. I haven’t looked at reviews for safety issues . Here’s the link: https://a.co/d/01A43KeC

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Pintosrock said:

My daughter also was really into trains. I picked up a tube of small trains (think Wild Republic tubes) and fat popsicle sticks, that I drew tracks on. She could set up a small train line in a church pew... but inevitably, there would be train whistles. So not so great as a QUIET busy bag.

Can you explain how you made the train tracks? 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Trains and some tracks

Magformers e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Magformers-14-pieces-Magnetic-Educational-Construction/dp/B000II0T5K/

Lincoln Logs 

Also, could not see the bag in your link so I was estimating what had fit into a gallon size ziploc when my kids were small. 

ETA:

Mine also love the Mexican Dominos in a small metal tin. They use them to build stuff as well as for building domino rallies. They never played the mexican domino game.

The Magformers look like a lot of fun. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

The bags are 7 x 9 x 2 inches. They are clear with red trim and have handles. They are similar to a travel cosmetics bag or a bag that you carry into a concert. 

I think that this link will work.

https://www.dollartree.com/ladies-clear-plastic-carrying-bags-11x675-in/275747

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xahm said:

You can take a dozen or so Duplos and build a larger rectangle with them, then draw on one face to make your own puzzle. Eventually it wears off, or you can clean it off, and make a new puzzle. 

I could do this with Popsicle sticks, too. Thank you!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TechWife said:

The bags are 7 x 9 x 2 inches. They are clear with red trim and have handles

Similar size to my gallon size ziplocs 🙂

This IKEA train set is a favorite travel along for my younger relatives. We do bring along more trains though. 

20-piece basic train set $14.99 https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lillabo-20-piece-basic-train-set-multicolor-00320054/

the turn table is also a favorite add on $5.99

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lillabo-turntable-10343856/

I've been texting with my niece, his mom. He has a wooden train set from his brother that she hasn't taken out yet. He also has a rug with roads on it. She likes the magformers.

I'm searching for a construction zone play mat.

I think I might get small containers of play doh and print & laminate some play mats.

Hmm.

One busy bag I made was about a dozen different duplos and pictures of different "patterns" they could make with them if they wanted. I just strategically chose my duplos, and then made some or all of them into different things (a flower, a house, a car, etc) and took a picture of each. I printed the pictures and included them in the bag. They could choose a picture, figure out which duplos they would need and how to put them together, make the pattern, and then take them apart and choose a different picture. Or, of course, they could just make their own design.

Other ideas...the magnet tins from the Target dollar spot...the magnets are farm or dinosaur or insect themed, and the inside of the tin has scenes printed on it to arrange and play with the magnet figures.

An eye spy bag.

Lacing cards...I just gave them different colors of felt shapes with holes punches in them in various places and a variety of cool shoelaces. They could "sew" the felt shapes together to make designs.

I cut the letters of their name out of sandpaper, glued them onto a cardboard card, and added arrows to show what direction to run their finger to write their name. If they showed interest in that, I would make their last name or other high interest words.

And the one "busy bag" that continues to get pulled out at our house despite my youngest being 8 and these suckers being well over a decade old: Melissa & Doug Water Wow! books. Every one of my children has used all the ones we have hundreds of times by this point...and only my two teenagers have fully outgrown them at this point. 😄

• Thanks 1

Some homemade ones that were popular here back in the day:

pushing pipe cleaners through a Parmesan shaker lid into the container.

clear bags taped closed with beads in them to squish around

hole punch foam pieces and shoe laces for lacing cards

trace cookie cutters onto cardstock and then match the picture with the cookie cutter

sorting colored pom poms into colored egg carton pieces

threading spools onto a dowel (or beads onto a pipe cleaner/lace)

Some purchased ones:

Mr. Potato Head

letter/number stamps

stickers and a notebook (throw in some crayons for more art fun)

those bingo marker thingees (Do a Dot?) 

• Like 1

You all have had wonderful ideas! Dollar Tree, Amazon and Target Bullseye came through with flying colors. 
If you’re looking for preschool activities, check out Target Bullseye. They have some fantastic finds right now. You can go on their app and search for”bullseye” and it will all come up. Of course, not every store has everything in stock at the same time, so you can’t order online, but you could do some research planning.

I have twelve bags. 

wiki stix - Amazon

magformers  - Amazon 14 piece starter set, by far the most $$$

shape construction set - Target Bullseye

Animal matching game - Scholastic in Target Bullseye 

stickers - make a face (monster); sports stickers; 3 x 5 cards on ring with cool cover, all from Dollar Tree. I’ll add more stickers to this if I come across any reasonably priced.

drawing bag - crayons, small pad of construction paper, small pad of drawing paper - all dollar tree

doctor kit - budget friendly kit from Amazon; Batman band aids from Target Bullseye; a bright orange elastic bandage from Dollar Tree

3 piece puzzle set - Scholastic shark puzzles, Target Bullseye

see/sight bag - kids magnifying glass I already had; a water timer w/ green water and silver stars (works like an hour glass); star shaped color mixing wands, both from Target Bullseye; funny glasses w/eyebrows, nose & mustache from Dollar Tree. I’m going to print some simple black & white pictures for him to use with the color paddles and also some seek & find pages to add in.

hear/listen bag - a harmonica and a small metal slinky from Dollar Tree; a rain maker from Target Bullseye. I’d like to add some pop its if o can find some of a good size & shape for him

smell bag - scented crayola brand “play doh” from Target Bullseye and Play Doh brand tools from Dollar Tree

feel/touch bag - a goo maze, Fun Oodles and sensory disks from Target Bullseye. I’m going to cut out some sandpaper shapes and maybe some felt vehicles to add in. 

I think I’ll post in the education board about all of the preschool goodies that Target had. 

• Like 2