Menu

shingles question

Just now, Ting Tang said:

I had shingles last fall, and yours does sound like shingles, but if it gets near the eye area it can be dangerous. Hopefully,  your meds will kick in. I am so sorry. It’s quite awful. BUT it could start to clear… snd you may feel well enough to travel…I think you just need to be cautious around those who are not vax for chicken pox. Feel better soon! See a doctor sooner if you’re worried about the eye area, of course. 

I was at UC on saturday, have valacyclovir.
saw the Ophthal this morning - i have small lesions on my eye, she gave me steroid drops, and antibiotic ointment for the lesions near my eye to prevent them becoming infected.  I see her again next week.

I had to tell the sweetest young woman to stay away.  She has a new baby, and I absolutely do not want that baby getting sick.  (which is possible for someone who has never had chicken pox or been vax for it.)

This was taken yesterday, and there are more lesions today.  (there are a lot on my scalp - aloe vera with lidocaine . . . )
image.thumb.jpeg.f81249606cf9c885a2ed15f385d80505.jpeg

• Sad 10

I had shingles on my abdomen when my middle dd was 9 months old--I was still nursing her. I was worried about her getting it or chicken pox from me, but my doctor told me risk was low--just make sure she had no contact with an open blister. It's not airborne. I had an extremely mild case and got on the antivirals really quickly, so that may have helped too, but I continued breast feeding her and we had no issues at all.

• Like 1

2dd said I could take up to 800mg (4 average tablets) of ibuprofen at a time.  (if I want one pill, I will need a rx.) So, I will see if that will help.  antiinflamatory should also be helpful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

Those lesions look awful!

Did the doctor give you any idea as to how long it will be before you start to see some improvement?

It was so kind of you to warn that young mom to keep her distance. 

no guesses. . . 

today, I can barely open my eye - but from what little I can tell I can still see ok it's just my lid is swollen

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

Those lesions look awful!

Did the doctor give you any idea as to how long it will be before you start to see some improvement?

It was so kind of you to warn that young mom to keep her distance. 

no guesses. . . 

today, I can barely open my eye - but from what little I can tell I can still see ok it's just my lid is swollen

from what I've been reading - lesions can be 3 - 5 weeks. blisters can take 10 days . . they're still getting bigger.  there's so much contradictory information.

• Sad 5

I had shingles last summer and it was miserable.  I am sorry you are in a lot of pain, hopefully it gets under control soon. Unfortunately, every person is different in how fast the rash gets better.  I used/recommend getting some Lysine (1000mg twice a day) and Vitamin C (500mg twice a day).  To answer your previous question about vaccines, there really isn't any guidance about how long to wait afterwards, but at least until the rash is completely gone.  

Edited by OakParkOwlets
  • Like 1

About the virus not being airborne—I’m not sure whether that is completely true.  I know an MRI operator who got chicken pox as an adult from someone who had shingles.  She was deathly ill (it’s a horrendous illness to an adult).

I suspect that the baby did not get it because she was getting antibodies in breast milk.  That is pretty common for viruses.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, OakParkOwlets said:

I had shingles last summer and it was miserable.  I am sorry you are in a lot of pain, hopefully it gets under control soon. Unfortunately, every person is different in how fast the rash gets better.  I used/recommend getting some Lysine (1000mg twice a day) and Vitamin C (500mg twice a day).  To answer your previous question about vaccines, there really isn't any guidance about how long to wait afterwards, but at least until the rash is completely gone.  

Ironically - I *just* started L-Lysine for the EBV.  I've already been taking Vitamin C 3Xs a day. (1000mg?)  Monolaurin is great.  one of my most useful is "biofilm phase 2 advanced" - it attacks the biofilm viruses make so the immune system can more easily kill it.

I've got to put together my sups (I try to do 2 - 3 weeks at a time) . . . If I can get dudeling to help me.
He was all ready to go to his (usually) Wednesday anxiety appointment.  Which wasn't scheduled because dh and I were *supposed* to be in Vancouver!  Maybe we can reschedule for September.  The weather should still be decent.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

About the virus not being airborne—I’m not sure whether that is completely true.  I know an MRI operator who got chicken pox as an adult from someone who had shingles.  She was deathly ill (it’s a horrendous illness to an adult).

I suspect that the baby did not get it because she was getting antibodies in breast milk.  That is pretty common for viruses.  

It can happen, but it's thought to be very rare; airborne transmission is thought to occur only with disseminated zoster (shingles covering a large portion of body surface area, not limited to a dermatome).  Current IPAC practice here is contact precautions for localized zoster, but airborne precautions for disseminated zoster.

16 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

2dd said I could take up to 800mg (4 average tablets) of ibuprofen at a time.  (if I want one pill, I will need a rx.) So, I will see if that will help.  antiinflamatory should also be helpful.

Just in case you notice this side effect - husband once had to take that level and it made him feel quite spacey and out of it.

I've been taking 600mg ibuprofen.
I've been taking pictures every day

yesterday, I had to hold my eye open to administer the drops.  Today, I could open it 1/2 way by itself.  Still more comfortable to just close it.

so, I'm hopeful this is a positive sign.

I'll be done with the valacyclovir saturday morning, but  . . I also have a week's worth of famciclovir I'll take after I'm done.   

• Like 7

I'm so glad to hear that you're seeing some improvement already! Even if you can't open your eye more than halfway, I think it's amazing that things aren't still getting worse, so I would definitely count this as a very positive sign!!!

Praying for you every morning and night!

• Like 1