Menu

Nanny cam for aging parent?

I’m wondering if anyone can help me with something: starting next week, we will have several providers and helpers coming into my mom’s house for various reasons. We would like to set up some nanny cams in several rooms that ideally include sound and we can access the feed remotely. The agency knows we intend to do this, and actually are the ones who suggested it. Any suggestions for specific brands / types to get? Thank you!

Posted (edited)

We have Ring stick up cameras in my mom’s assisted living apartment. Very easy. Yes, sound. Monitor through the app on your phone. Subscription for 6 months storage of recorded video is $100/yr. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

I don't remember which type we used when FIL lived with us, but honestly it was a lifesaver in so many ways. The caregivers who come in hate knowing they're monitored, but with a vulnerable elderly person who has dementia (as my dear FIL did), it's necessary. There are just too many terrible caregivers out there. There was one caregiver who we filed a complaint about, and there were others who were simply not worth keeping on. The camera kept FIL safer and it gave us peace of mind when we needed to leave him with someone.

It was also incredibly helpful for us at night. He wanted his privacy sometimes, and it was a healthy thing for him to be able to go in his own room and be able to shut the door. (His room was enormous and set up like a tiny apartment with a living room area and a bedroom area and a commode to be a bathroom area.) In the early months that he was with us, his memory wasn't as bad. Most of the time he could be trusted alone, but not always. That decreased with time--more and more we needed to be able to see and make sure he was safe. We positioned a decorative tree in the room so that FIL would be screened while toileting, but if he got up in the night we could still monitor through the camera to make sure he made it over to the commode (as opposed to mistaking a trash can or something like that) and that he made it back to bed afterward. 

When FIL asked about the camera one time, I told him it was the wifi for the computer. He was satisfied with that answer. 

• Like 3

I use Wyze cameras. I have different ones ranging from ones that follow your movements, ones that you can manually rotate it via an app, and cheaper ones where it doesn’t rotate. I have mini sd cards. I also have ones that are solar powered for the yard since my dog is usually outside. It’s better to use one brand as all the videos can be seen together in one app. I had Reolink at one point and switched out to Wyze because I didn’t think Reolink worked that well.

• Like 1

We have multiple Ring cameras outside and have been very pleased with them. They're easy to set up, the app is easy to use, video storage cost is very reasonable and the subscription is simple to pay through my Amazon account. We've had to contact their customer service a couple of times and have found them helpful and relatively easy to get a real person to talk to.

• Like 2

I use wyze - easiest access is phone or tablet, but I can access via my laptop too (I'm annoyed that I have to sign in every single time - but I don't on my phone).   sound can be turned on or off, including a mic so you can talk to the person at the camera.

they also have cameras that don't look like a camera - or 'silicon cases' that look like something else so they're less obtrusive.

They have both wired, and wireless door bells.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

If you intend to hide these cameras you want to make sure it’s legal where you live. Generally it’s not okay to record people without their consent. 

Thank you, this is good to keep in mind. I live in a state where it is ok. We intend to tell all the caregivers that we will have multiple cameras set up throughout the house, so they will know that they’re there. 

• Like 2