Menu

rec - Woman in Gold

gardenmom5

I just thought I'd rec it for anyone who hasn't seen it.  I'm not a Klimt fan, but the story behind the painting . . 
I remember in jr high, reading a book about the thievery, confiscation, by gov't/military of private property during war time to enrich themselves and the injustice of it always left me angry.

We went to the Belvedere (I was feeling so sick and in so much pain, but was determined I was going to see the floor of Roman antiquities!).  And in the gift shop, there were various 'goods' of The Woman in Gold (Adele Bloch-Bauer) everywhere.  I didn't know the backstory on why the painting wasn't there.  Now, all I can say is; good!  glad they lost it.  Glad Austria lost it.

Anyway - they made a movie of it The Woman in Gold, Helen Mirren as Maria Altman, and Ryan Reynolds as Ronald Schoenberg.  On Amazon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

I watched it awhile ago, and I've been thinking about watching it again, just because of MIrrin and Reynolds.

I had to laugh as they both play some serious "action" roles (HM - in RED, and Reynolds in deadpool), and there isn't a hint of action from either of them.

• Like 1

On a similar note, our PBS station showed "Eva's Promise" (2022), which is now available on their Passport streaming.
(I was unable to watch it at the exact time it was broadcast, unfortunately.)

I've screenshot a photo and synopsis.

(On the way to Auschwitz,  Eva's brother told her that he'd hidden his artwork.)

TVEva.jpg

TVEva2.jpg

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When dh's aunt died, her husband remarried a woman who was born in the Dutch East Indies. (her husband had also died.).  her family owned a plantation before the war.  When it became apparent the Japanese were coming at the start of WWII, her mother divided up all of her jewels and gave them out to the various servants.  Each of the children had their own nanny. 

After they'd been shipped off to internment camps (girls to one, boys to a different one. her mother dressed the smallest boys as girls so she could keep them with her.), Her nanny took the jewels she'd received, removed the stones from their settings, and sewed them all inside her doll that had been left behind.  Then she brought the doll to the camp and made clear she was to never let that doll out of her hands and never lose it.  She was four, and didn't understand why her nanny couldn't take her away from the horrible place and made such a commotion she saw her nanny shot dead in front of her.  But she kept that doll. 

After the war, they were destitute, living in the Netherlands.  She'd kept the doll, and it was starting to fall apart. Someone spotted one stone showing through a rip - and it was taken apart, the gems extracted, and slowly sold.  such luxuries as extra blankets and food were purchased . . . . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1