Menu

2024-2025 12th grade planning thread

I didn't see one, so either I missed it (please advise!) or all of us have been too busy or too unsure to post anything. 😃

This is my youngest and I am holding this schedule loosely. I am not sure if he will go to a four year school or a two year school.  At the moment he wants to study graphic design.

Lit:  lit at home (light credit)

Comp: Comp I at the community college

Math: Precalculus at home (another light credit, followed by College Algebra CLEP). We really need to be done with math.

Science: we're done--he has four credits with labs so no science planned

Government (fall): home based government hopefully with CLEP at the end.

Economics (spring): possibly Thinkwell or we can use the Glencoe book I used for my oldest if we don't want to do CLEP

Electives:  Design Principles and Design Foundations (fall) at the community college; spring schedule is largely TBD. I want to see how he handles two studios plus a comp class first. We may end up dropping a class if the workload is too much. 

He works about 30 hours a week so no extracurriculars. Actually I hope I can get him to reduce his hours.

• Like 4

High schoolers planning to apply to a highly selective college should prepare to submit test scores with the application.  Test optional is dropping swiftly. https://www.forbes.com/sites/caileygleeson/2024/04/11/harvard-brings-back-sat-act-requirement-for-undergrads-latest-school-to-reinstate-standardized-tests/?sh=7f1217744010. I would assume that even if a school remains optional, test scores will still be important. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gstharr said:

Because the theme is 12 grade planning. Might not apply to your kid, but falls within topic. 

Thanks! Yes, it's amazing how fast the colleges are changing the policy. 

Kid wants to do engineering or computer science

Math: DE both semesters (I told them that they can't take a semester off of math if going into STEM)

Science: DE calc based physics

English: at home. It needs to be something that will get done. I'm thinking The Argument Builder as a one semester writing/rhetoric and choosing our own books for one semester of literature. I'm not sure how to cover literature yet--this kid does not like literary analysis. @cintinative It sounds like you're doing a light lit at home--do you have any idea of what you'll be expecting for output?

Academic Electives: They are currently leaning toward two single semester at home computer science type courses. I'm trying to find a self-paced internet of things course/resource for one of these courses. 

Other Electives: They need one more semester of fine arts, we'll probably do an instrument. They'll do a semester of woodshop. 

I feel like I'm forgetting a course.

ECs: Their spring EC is really time consuming, leaving no time for school work in the evening, so we have to make sure all spring coursework can fit in during the day. 

Edited by silver
  • Like 1

The coming year will actually be a super-senior year for my youngest. She already has 4 solid English credits including AP Lang, 4 math credits through AP Calc AB, 4 lab sciences, 5 LOTE (3 Chinese, 2 French), and 4 social sciences (cultural geography, world history, US history, AP Psych), and 4 art classes (including 2 at a local college) so she's pretty solid. Next year is still a bit up in the air as I'm waiting on the local CC to release their fall schedule (comes out Friday), but so far the tentative  plan is:

At home English — writing mainly focused on a large research paper and lit focused on novels with a "growth" theme along with science themed non-fiction

Neuroscience at Aim Academy 

AP Stats or AB Calc BC

Anatomy and Physiology — likely using Mapping the Body with Art

French 3 at Aim Academy 

Capstone project (combining her love of art/animation and science)

She has a time intensive extracurricular (starts at noon most days) and 4 solid years of HS under her belt, so this is going to be a lighter year for her. We had planned on having her graduate this spring and take next year as a gap year, but she has more she wants to learn before college, so here we are. 

Edited by Kristini2
Change of plan
  • Like 1

@silver for lit really just reading books and discussing them. I use guides when I can find them to help with questions but there will be no output. I usually have some notes on hand from the discussions just in case, but not always.  For some of the books we will listen to the literary life podcast episodes about the books. 

• Thanks 1

Senior year for my son:

Math: He is finishing Cal BC right now. I may look at something at the local college for next year. They are tiny, don't have many options, and don't have math majors, so the options are very limited. And I haven't found anything online that we can afford. If that doesn't work out he will do Computational Math at home using books like Doing Math with Python and Challenging Mathematical Problems with Elementary Solutions.

English: Online dual enrollment with ASU

Science: Online dual enrollment Chemistry with ASU

Computer: Online dual enrollment Web Fundamentals with BYUI and Excel with BYUI

Social Science: Online dual enrollment Sociology with ASU and Government with ASU

Financial Literacy: AFSA Moneyskill or Kahn Academy

Extracurriculars: Cross Country, Track, Math Club, Church, Academic Olympics, Chess

I usually have our next school year completely planned out by now. But not this year. I’ll be down to two 12th and 9th (ish) so it feels easier in some ways. But these two are also a little more complicated in some ways. 

DD16 will be in 12th. She is quite bright, has a number of undiagnosed language based learning challenges, loves art and crafting and music, is an introvert who needs plenty of downtime at home, and has no desire to go to college. She has already done as much or more in all but one subject than my older two did. But I don’t feel the need to “graduate” her early as she’ll still only be 17 when she graduates next spring. So here is our “plan”, such as it is. 

Math - She’s doing Pre-Calculus right now. She’s pretty much teaching it to herself but I think we’d need a class of some kind if she were to keep going. So maybe we won’t do math next year? I thought of a Consumer math but I think she’d be bored with it. 

Social Studies - She’ll finish US History and do US Government and Economics. All with Notgrass. She’s doing US History right now but is a slow reader so won’t get through it by the end of the year. 

Science - I have no idea. She’s done Physical Science, Biology, and is doing Chemistry now. She does pretty well at all of it but doesn’t really care for science. We’ll either skip science next year or I’ll see if maybe she wants to do something like horticulture or marine biology. Any other less traditional ideas? 

English - No idea. She writes pretty decently actually, although spelling can be a challenge and she still writes some letters upside down or backwards. Maybe just read books and write about them? 

Electives/Extra Curricular Activities - ASL class, karate, swimming, piano, co-op enrichment classes (hoping for baking, chorus, art, and drama), she’s also been doing a lot of sewing and crocheting lately. 

I’ve thought about doing a completely out of the box year and just let her unschool the year and follow her interests. This kid is always busy and doing things. If I told her we were going screen free for the month of May she would be completely unfazed and find plenty of things to occupy her time. But she also likes to have a plan so no plan might be too scary for both of us. 

3 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

DD16 will be in 12th. . . But I don’t feel the need to “graduate” her early as she’ll still only be 17 when she graduates next spring.

I’ve thought about doing a completely out of the box year and just let her unschool the year and follow her interests. This kid is always busy and doing things. . . But she also likes to have a plan so no plan might be too scary for both of us. 

We are in a very similar boat except mine does want to go to college (eventually after she tries to pursue a career in ballet). She is 16 and will have finished all her requirements to graduate by the end of this summer, but isn't ready to be done. Next year, she is taking two online classes that she is very interested in -- neuroscience and French -- but otherwise we are both very tempted just let her really take ownership of her learning. She loves to learn so it could be a very good experience for her, but it is a huge leap from doing basically all AP and DE classes this year to completely self-directed learning next year so it's scary to contemplate (especially trying to figure out how to spin that for college apps). Good luck figuring it all out, and keep me posted. Nice to know we aren't the only ones considering this. 🙂 

On 4/28/2024 at 10:51 PM, Kristini2 said:

We are in a very similar boat except mine does want to go to college (eventually after she tries to pursue a career in ballet). She is 16 and will have finished all her requirements to graduate by the end of this summer, but isn't ready to be done. Next year, she is taking two online classes that she is very interested in -- neuroscience and French -- but otherwise we are both very tempted just let her really take ownership of her learning. She loves to learn so it could be a very good experience for her, but it is a huge leap from doing basically all AP and DE classes this year to completely self-directed learning next year so it's scary to contemplate (especially trying to figure out how to spin that for college apps). Good luck figuring it all out, and keep me posted. Nice to know we aren't the only ones considering this. 🙂 

Yes! It’s good to know that someone else is considering something that might be a little “crazy”! I need to sit down with DD and talk about it but she just wrapped up a long week as part of a musical and now she’s working for a few weeks at a tulip farm. She’ll need life to calm down a little before she’ll be ready to think about senior year. But I’d like to have a plan soon! Even if it’s a plan to not have a plan. Ha! 

This is for a future engineer:

Math:  Calculus I and II at the community college

English:  Random credit for college essays, etc.; also Speech at the community college

FTC Robotics (I'll probably give him credit for something related to this.  It monopolizes his life.)

Two choirs and orchestra (cello)

Health and Nutrition (Apologia)

We'll firm up spring when he gets closer to a college decision.  He may do a CLEP or two if the school he chooses accepts CLEPS.  I'd planned to have him take Engineering Chemistry at the community college, but they won't accept his homeschool Chemistry credit as a prerequisite (they accept high school chemistry from public and private schools).  He really doesn't want to spend a whole year on AP Chem, so we'll just wait until college for this one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is my last homeschooler and I am ready to be done. Classes will be mostly DE as I will be working some so most of my job will be chauffeuring, guidance counselor and keeping on tract for deadlines.

math- couldn’t fit it in fall so possibly spring  semester calc 1

eng- composition or world lit depending on schedule

science-  physics- this is the only at home class

world Lang- DE French 

social studies- world history

elective- continue with DE culinary class 

EC- choir, drama, string and worldview 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We also are looking at a slightly out-of-the-box year with a high-energy guy with no interest in college. Basic high school requirements are done, and he knows it.

Thinking Stats at CC or Trig at home + Survey of mathematics

Ramsey Finance

Entrepreneurship with True North Academy

Local lit class; there was also talk of a local mock trial

Great Courses with papers for science

WW2 History, still deciding on resources

Also researching Bible programs. So still some things to nail down yet.

Edited by birchbark
  • Like 1