Menu

6th grade planning 2024-25

I'm going to knock out another one of these while I have a minute. This is child #2 so I'm feeling a bit more confident.

Bible: together as a family just reading through and discussing.

Language arts: dictation day by day for spelling (he has drastically improved this last year-yay!),  analytical grammar year 1, writing stands level 5/6, daily handwriting practice maybe? (I'm going to start that up in a couple weeks to see if it helps), reading good books modern era

History: sotw4, Kingfisher Encyclopedia for supplement

Geography: seterra, researching meals from the country with his older brother (we do a monthly geography meal)

Science: between builders (we just rotate through the elementary books so this next year we'll be in ancients)

Math: rod and staff 6

Logic: finish Orbiting with logic, Fallacy Detective, maybe Case for Christ (the kids books)

Language: alternate days of Greek (Hey Andrew), and Latin (Latin's not so tough)

Other: weekly art class, biweekly historic dance group, Fridays some kind of computer thing (typing, programming, intro to some computer program basics)

• Like 4

I'll play;)

Math finish RightStart F and Begin G also Calculadders for drill

Language Arts

AAS 4 and maybe 5

IEW Midieval Writing or continue with Writing Lessons for Today

ETA certainly IEW Midievel

Analytical Grammar Season 2

ETA Maybe go back and do Language lessons for today 6 instead then later finish AG

Reading good books I pick

Science Exploring What God has Made from Simply Charlotte Mason (I love this science course from them. Oldest did it a few years ago)

History and Geography Heart of Dakota Resurrection to Reformation history and geography only I'll mostly pick my own read alouds and tweak freely. This is a base;)

Bible read together and on own perhaps Heart of Dakota Bible also

Art continue with Feed My Sheep from Berry Stabbing

Continue Piano lessons

I'm sure she'll do something with her little siblings also. I'm not sure what though.

Edited by countrymum
Few late March tweaks
  • Like 2

I'm still working on what we're going to use in some subjects but here's what I have so far:

Bible - Bible Study Guide for All Ages (probably finish this mid-year and start MP's Christian Studies I using KJV Bible)

Reading - Assigned Book List; Fun Book List & Family Read-alouds AND I'm adding in MP's Book guides to see how that will work for his assigned book list starting with King Arthur.

Math - Saxon Math Algebra 1/2 (We use the Saxon Teacher CD-ROM and Art Reed videos)

Grammar - Rod and Staff English 6; Editor in Chief workbook

Writing - Writing and Rhetoric 4; Writing Strands (original edition) 5 OR Writing With Skill I

Comprehension - Abeka Skill Sheets & Reading Detective A1

Spelling - Spelling Workout H (finishing last half of the book and will be done with spelling)

Vocabulary - Finish MP's Roots of English; Vocabulary from Classical Roots A & possibly B

Logic - Fallacy Detective and The Thinking Toolbox

Latin - Latina Christiana II (finishing last half and starting Henle I) OR scrapping LCII and doing First Form Latin I OR doing the bridge after LCII to FFII

Greek - Memoria Press Elementary Greek II

Science - MasterBooks Heaven and Earth OR Jay Wile's Earth Science or Atomic Age

History - The Human Odyssey; Story of the World; The Good and the Beautiful (we started HO in late 4th grade and continuing on and probably be to the Renaissance come 6th grade)

Art - Home Art Studio (my adult daughter teaches art)

Music - Piano lessons - Hoffman Academy (He will probably finish up all the units left in HA in 6th grade)

I'm either going to go the easy route with science and get the MB or go the harder route with the Jay Wile book that has a lot of experiments.  I'm adding in the Science Detective workbook as well, along with the History Detective workbook for history.  Our history mix is going VERY WELL!!  So, we are going to continue with that through the next 2 years and then move on to an American history come 8th grade.

DS11 wants to add in another foreign language, a modern one, but I'm hesitant because of his workload already but... he REALLY loves foreign language (and grammar) and handles Latin and Greek well, so I'm considering it.  I have looked at Getting Started with Spanish and also MasterBooks Beginning Spanish for Families program.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Classically Minded said:

go the harder route with the Jay Wile book that has a lot of experiments. 

Whew! You've got some hard stuff in your list! (Or it would be for my crew, anyway). Ds12 did Atomic this year in 7th and it was a definite step up from what we had been doing. He really struggled the first half of the book-there are some pretty detailed and difficult to comprehend things about atoms for a few chapters. I'm planning on doing Earth Science in high school.

13 minutes ago, LauraClark said:

Whew! You've got some hard stuff in your list! (Or it would be for my crew, anyway). Ds12 did Atomic this year in 7th and it was a definite step up from what we had been doing. He really struggled the first half of the book-there are some pretty detailed and difficult to comprehend things about atoms for a few chapters. I'm planning on doing Earth Science in high school.

I was surprised to see Wile's Earth Science wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, have you viewed the sample?  I've seen his biology and it is way more advanced, even for 9th grade.  I'm still trying to decide what path to pursue going forward - the worst thing that could happen is the Wile science is too difficult and we'd revert back to Masterbook's Heaven and Earth and save Wile's books for 7th or 8th.  I have Apologia's General Science but I am not a fan but keep it around in case I change my mind.

My son is fairly advanced across the board but I decided to just let him progress in each subject as he wanted to and not push doing college early but rather, give him MORE to do each day to fuel his hunger for learning.  He has areas that I see that are not ready for higher learning in certain subjects and then areas he is far more advanced.  He does trig for fun in his spare time but wanted to do all the Saxon books and not skip any, so I let him and he rarely misses anything.  His passion (besides math) is writing fiction, grammar, vocabulary and foreign language - I'm really trying to figure out how to go forward with him in regards to science.  Like I said, if the Wile books are too much, we can revert back to MB but if I never try, we'll just stay where we are.

Spencer's 6th grade year will be a hybrid of virtual public school (so they pay for extra curriculars) and homeschooling (so he actually learns something).

ELA and History: Bookshark American History, plus Lantern English and All About Spelling

Science: Bookshark Science, plus a full summer of hands on science camps

Math: Wondrium's Geometry: An Interactive Journey to Mastery plus Edmentum Geometry required by the hybrid

Spanish: Spanish 2 in immersion classes

Memorization: Anki, so many Anki cards!!

Music, weekly: 2 piano lessons, 1 violin lesson, 1 composition lesson, 1 orchestra practice, plus two hours of daily practice at home

Extras: Ninja classes plus on-campus electives at the virtual school, he is hoping for ceramics, cardio drumming, escape room and orienteering

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Classically Minded said:

was surprised to see Wile's Earth Science wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, have you viewed the sample?  I've seen his biology and it is way more advanced, even for 9th grade.  I'm still trying to decide what path to pursue going forward - the worst thing that could happen is the Wile science is too difficult and we'd revert back to Masterbook's Heaven and Earth and save Wile's books for 7th or 8th.  I have Apologia's General Science but I am not a fan but keep it around in case I change my mind.

I haven't looked at it yet-bummer. I was thinking that because atomic was so hard Earth would be even harder. I'll have to look at it and rethink my plan-thanks for the heads up. I'm wondering how different Apologia General is from Atomic. I seem to remember looking through both of them and thinking they looked really similar.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LauraClark said:

I haven't looked at it yet-bummer. I was thinking that because atomic was so hard Earth would be even harder. I'll have to look at it and rethink my plan-thanks for the heads up. I'm wondering how different Apologia General is from Atomic. I seem to remember looking through both of them and thinking they looked really similar.

It just occurred to me that when I look at a curriculum, I'm looking with my son in my mind who is strong in math.  The Earth Science sample showed a lot of things I know he'd love with calculations but some children, who aren't as excited about math, might really be turned off.  So, if you go see the sample on his website, you can see what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LauraClark said:

I got the audio of Atomic Age for my current ds 12. It helps so much! He is dyslexic and not academicly interested...  Also instead of a written chapter review I let him do it orally with me explaining any gray areas and filling in any holes. Again LA is really hard for him. We are just getting to the 2 mostly legible paragraphs now. We also just discuss the chapter at this point and no test.

It  got lots easier also once we got to cells! Perhaps because they are bigger? 

I did Wiles Biology and chemistry in highschool years ago. I know they cover all that chemistry again...he will be better prepared than I was I think. He will have a few pegs to hang all that biology and chemistry in and have at least heard the words before. I am very pleased with how much he has taken charge of this course. 

Edited to add I'm planning on earth science but I'll look at the sample before I order. He will finish 1/2 of prealgebra and start Algebra next year.

Edited by countrymum
  • Like 2

Math - MUS Epsilon

English - Dictation Day by Day for spelling, written narrations and the Remedia Outlining book for writing, and Climbing to Good English 6

Science - whatever she wants, interest-led

History - SOTW 2

Logic - Logic Safari

Geography - homemade world geography

Plus random art projects, piano lessons and hopefully continue hymn singing. She also crochets, plays ukulele, and bakes.

Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 4

Language Arts: WWS I. Previously we’ve used IEW, MCT, Killgallon, & NaNoWriMo. Hoping to streamline for middle school. Not sure whether we’ll continue NaNo; if so, it’ll be in addition to our regularly-scheduled composition, rather than taking its place. 

Math: Continuing AOPS PreAlgebra + “Fun Math Fridays” (games, Orbiting with Logic, Murderous Maths, Numberphile, etc).

Science: RSO Biology 2

History: Bookshark I - American History. We’ll return to BYL the following year, but neither of us is interested in a 2-year US History course. This seemed simpler than condensing BYL 5/6, & I think it’ll pair well with WWS. 

Electives: Intro to Microcontrollers (Arduino), possibly Creative Writing? (NaNo + poetry) 

Extracurriculars: Scouts, Violin, FIRST Lego League (robotics), programming, art classes, board game club, tennis, PE. 

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
Modify font size.
  • Like 1

Math: MM6

History: BYL 5 - US History Part 1

Literature: BYL 5 + a handful of book reports

Science: Science Mom Earth Science plus some sort of Astronomy Unit. 

Grammar: Junior Analytical Grammar 

Writing: Write Shop F + Evan Moor's Writing Fabulous Sentences and Paragraphs

Spelling: Spellwell C/CC 

Art: Nothing super formal but I do want to set aside a time each week to simply make art. I'm thinking of doing a month each of various things: drawing, pastels, water colors, acrylic paint, clay/sculpting etc

Other:

Various classes through our homeschool group

Brush up on his typing skills

Duolingo for fun/exposure

He likes to keep active: running, rollerblading, ice skating, ninja warrior type obstacle courses etc

• Like 1

Twins - gr. 6 - Academically different

Math: CTC Math - Algebra 1 & 6th Grade

Lang Arts: IEW Ancient History & Fix It Grammar

Science: Noeo Science Chemistry 3

History: Pandia Press History Quest Ancients

Extras: Typing, Coding, Cooking

Sports: Karate, Archery

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AmbitiouslyCrafty said:

Art: Nothing super formal but I do want to set aside a time each week to simply make art. I'm thinking of doing a month each of various things: drawing, pastels, water colors, acrylic paint, clay/sculpting etc

I did this one year and it was one of the best art years we had. It was really fun.

• Like 1

Math: MM6

Science: General Science or Anatomy/Physiology at co-op + interest led at home 

Language Arts: 

Megawords

Igniting Your Writing II + Jump In (slowly)

Analytical Grammar Mechanics 

Reading wonderful books independently and as a family, and continuing 'audiobooks over lunch'

Spanish: Spanish tutor, Rocket Languages, immersion every Sunday at our Spanish-speaking church  

History: Ancients using Beautiful Feet + Human Odyssey, Oxford University Press books as spines  

Geography: Visits to Africa - SCM 

Art: Classes with Grandma over ZOOM - she is an artist and retired art teacher 

Extras: STEM class at co-op, PE, Piano lessons, ukulele, Trail Life, leatherworking classes at a local leather supply store 

Edited by TreeLoft
  • Like 1

This kid will be my only one at home next year, which will be very weird!

Language Arts: I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on Hearth & Story. I've been fooled before by things that look pretty but turn out to be not that great, but I realized the author is the one who does History Quest, which we've been enjoying. Samples look great. Only issue is that the completed level is listed as 5th grade, but I think it should work fine for 6th grade as well (right now we're piecing things together with Grammar for the WTM, WWS, Caesar's English, and books + Arrow, but if I can streamline things that would be nice!)

History: History Quest US History, and I think I'm going to add in some Canadian history and both US and Canadian geography. I like Canada, and we're about to spend our third summer over the past few years in Canada. And I'll probably stretch it over 2 years and add in a good bit to the US history, too.

Science: Science Mom Chemistry/Biology assuming we finish Chemistry when we plan to (we'll actually start it this spring, I think; we're almost finished with Earth Science)

Math: AOPS Pre-algebra (he's almost finished with Beast Academy 5)

Other: he takes a small group Spanish class, which will likely continue. Piano and trumpet lessons. Band or orchestra. Whatever looks interesting at homeschool co-op.  I'm trying to get my husband to run a math olympiad group. book club at the library. probably baseball. math circle at a local university. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I think I may have this finalized now:

Bible - Bible Study Guide for All Ages (finish this mid-year); MP's Christian Studies I - using KJV Bible

Math - Saxon Math Algebra 1/2 (We use the Saxon Teacher CD-ROM and Art Reed videos)

Language Arts
- Reading* - Assigned Book List; Fun Book List & Family Read-alouds AND I'm adding in MP's Book guides to see how that will work for his assigned book list.
- Grammar* - Grammar for the Well Trained Mind; Editor in Chief workbook
- Writing* - Writing With Skill I; Writing and Rhetoric 4
- Comprehension - Abeka Skill Sheets; Reading Detective A1
- Spelling - Spelling Workout H (finishing last half of the book and will be done with spelling)
- Vocabulary - Finish MP's Roots of English; Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

Logic - Fallacy Detective (finishing up)

Foreign Language
- Latin - Latina Christiana II (finishing last half)
- Greek - Memoria Press Elementary Greek II
- Hebrew - Miiko Shaffier's Hebrew
- Spanish - Getting Started with Spanish

Science - Jay Wile's Discovering Design with Earth Science

History* - The Human Odyssey; Story of the World; The Good and the Beautiful (we started HO in late 4th grade and continuing on and probably be to the Renaissance come 6th grade)

Fine Arts
- Art - Home Art Studio (my adult daughter teaches art)
- Music - Piano lessons - Hoffman Academy (finishing program in 6th)

Computer - CompuScholar's Tech Essentials

I'm adding in the Science Detective and History Detective workbooks. Our history mix is going VERY WELL!! So, we are going to continue with that through the next 2 years and then move on to American history come 8th grade.

DS is doing 4 foreign languages because he begged to add in 2 more.  He will be stopping Latin after finishing LCII and continuing on with Greek, so I think he can handle some easy introductory courses in Hebrew (this summer) and Spanish; both he has requested.

*I will be teaching: history, Writing & Rhetoric, grammar, logic and study guides for reading - the rest DS will be doing independently.  We don't do everything every day - some things are interspersed throughout the week(s).

Edited by Classically Minded
  • Like 1

Tentative plan for 6th grade:

Math: Derek Owens Honors Algebra 1 (parent-graded)

English Language Arts:

• IEW Structure & Style Level B, Year 2
  • Fix It Grammar Level 2
  • Critical Thinking Co Mastering Middle School Vocabulary
  • Critical Thinking Co Inference Jones
  • Figuratively Speaking
  • MENSA Excellence in Reading book list + Elevate Your Reading activities
  • Good & Beautiful Handwriting Level 6
  • Typing.com (15 minutes any time she turns on her laptop to do school or fun)

History: Story of the World Volume 4 with documentaries from Teaching with Movies

Civics: Whatever Happened to Justice? and Teen Pact state government workshop

Science: Guest Hollow Jr. Anatomy & Health with middle school supplements & Mark Twain Media Health & Wellness workbook

Mini-Electives Loop (we rotate through a lot of small things and will plan to touch on two of these per day):

• Learning to Learn: Strengthening Study Skills and Brain Power 
  • Learning How to Learn: How to Succeed in School Without Spending All Your Time Studying; A Guide for Kids and Teens 
  • Crash Course Study Skills, Media Literacy, & Navigating Digital Information
  • Developing Digital Detectives: Essential Lessons for Discerning Fact From Fiction in the "Fake News" Era 
  • Common Sense Media Digital Citizenship online modules
  • Discovering Wisdom in Proverbs creative devotional
  • Girls Seen and Heart: 52 Life Lessons for Our Daughters
  • Critical Thinking Co Something's Fishy at Lake Iwannafisha
  • Mystery River Problem-Based Ecology Unit
  • Mystery Disease Problem-Based Learning
  • Science Sleuths: Solving Mysteries Using Scientific Inquiry
  • Critical Thinking Co Mind Benders

Weekly homeschool co-op with electives TBD

Extracurriculars TBD

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I *think* I’ve figured this kid out:

LA:

-Beautiful Feet Horse study, maybe with Funschooling with Horses to go with

-AAS - finish 5, not sure about 6

-Grammar for the Well Trained mind, first go round 

-Killgallons Paragraphs for Elementary school, then start Writing with Skill 1 (and read some of the books mentioned)

-The Writing Revolution level 2 pages to go with history program from Lithouse Learning (should be out in June!)

Math: CLE 6

History: Curiosity Chronicles Early Modern 1&2

Science: Blossom & Root 6

Art: Outschool classes

Lit-based Canadian history with older brother

• Like 2

Current plans for my youngest:

Math- Math With Confidence Grade 6 (pilot testing)

Spelling- AAS finish 5 and most of 6

Grammar- Winston Grammar Advanced

Writing- Hake 

Literature- Mosdos Press Pearl

History- probably Curiosity Chronicles paired with History Unboxed (ancients)

Science- probably Science Mom Chemistry and some other stuff thrown in

Electives- theater, choir, and baking classes

Tentatively:

Math:    Pre-algebra - the Critical Thinking Company and Math Circle or Math Kangaroo at co-op

ELA:     Writing and Rhetoric - Schole and BW book clubs

Science:  Earth Science - Journey Homeschool Academy at co-op

Philosophy - Athena's Academy

History -  History of US

Latin - Seven Hills Online Classical School

PE - soccer

Art in person and outschool

My baby's going to be in sixth! 

Math - Systematic Mathematics 6

Writing - Writing Trails and free writes

Grammar - Daily Grammar Practice

Science - Ellen McHenry, living books

History - Living books

Piano/choir/bells

• Like 1

In the past, I’d have my plans figured out by February. Here we are in April and I still don’t know what we’re going to do. 😔 

I have a list of curriculum from our shelves that we could choose from. I just need to pull it all out and decide.
Ds has to test this year and as soon as he completed the practice tests, I knew I needed to tweak my list again.
I enjoy reading all your plans though. Hopefully, we’ll sort out our plan soon.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:48 PM, countrymum said:

Science Exploring What God has Made from Simply Charlotte Mason (I love this science course from them. Oldest did it a few years ago)

Some of the reviews say it’s way too much reading. I’m really interested in it though. Can you give me any insight into this curriculum? 

It's a fair amount of reading but my dyslexic did fine with it. It is a good ramp up into Wiles Atomic Age. It has a lot less vocabulary than atomic age and the readings are easier. The mineral book he found dull.  I thought it was a good overview of all elementary science and bridge to middle school science. 

"Too much reading" would depend on what your expectations for upper elementary science are. I think it's appropriate. Also most books are well illustrated and interesting. Science isn't always about stuff you love. Do you have any specific questions?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, countrymum said:

It's a fair amount of reading but my dyslexic did fine with it. It is a good ramp up into Wiles Atomic Age. It has a lot less vocabulary than atomic age and the readings are easier. The mineral book he found dull.  I thought it was a good overview of all elementary science and bridge to middle school science. 

"Too much reading" would depend on what your expectations for upper elementary science are. I think it's appropriate. Also most books are well illustrated and interesting. Science isn't always about stuff you love. Do you have any specific questions?

It’s been on my radar for awhile. We’ve been pretty casual with science, mostly doing nature study. I’d like to move my older two into something a little more formal and this seemed good. I was all In until a review said it was too much reading. My daughter hates reading on her own but loves being read to, so now I’m unsure. Thank you for your input, it was helpful. 

Ds will continue a light school schedule through summer with math, vocabulary cartoons, art, bushcraft skills, and he gets a monthly physics subscription box

Fall 2024

Bible      SCM Scripture memory, Ten Boys Who Used Their Talents

Math      CLE 6

English      Winston Grammar, JAG Mechanics

Paragraphs (TCR), then Middle School Essay Writing (7 Sisters)

Caesar’s English and/or WordBuild Elements

Spelling workbook?

Narnia series with lit guides from Christian Novel Studies, Pilgrim’s Progress

History      History Quest Middle Times or Story of the Middle Ages (CLP)

Science    Apologia Human Anatomy and Physiology

Art            Painting with Watercolor Pencils

1 hour ago, Mona said:

Ds will continue a light school schedule through summer with math, vocabulary cartoons, art, bushcraft skills, and he gets a monthly physics subscription box

Fall 2024

Bible      SCM Scripture memory, Ten Boys Who Used Their Talents

Math      CLE 6

English      Winston Grammar, JAG Mechanics

Paragraphs (TCR), then Middle School Essay Writing (7 Sisters)

Caesar’s English and/or WordBuild Elements

Spelling workbook?

Narnia series with lit guides from Christian Novel Studies, Pilgrim’s Progress

History      History Quest Middle Times or Story of the Middle Ages (CLP)

Science    Apologia Human Anatomy and Physiology

Art            Painting with Watercolor Pencils

Hi,  Where do you get the physics subscription box from?  Thanks.

😂 You’re welcome! 
Those boxes have been a hit and ds loves to get them each month. And, I get a break from teaching science since he just scans the QR code and watches the video. 

Edited by Mona