Menu

Washable cosmetic rounds / squares that work like cotton balls

MercyA

I need some washable little rounds for removing makeup and applying toner. I've tried terry ones and flannel ones. The terry ones are too rough for my skin. The flannel ones soak up too much liquid and then don't release it, IYKWIM. When I use flannel, I end up using more solution but even so less makes it to my face. I don't tend to like microfiber; it feels icky to me. 

I see Amazon has some bamboo / cotton ones. Thoughts? Any recommendations appreciated. 🙂 

I have the bamboo velour ones and a different brand of just bamboo ones from amazon. I have mixed feelings about them. The bamboo velour are plenty soft for my sensitive skin, but they soak up way more liquid than they should. (I use micellar water for facial cleansing.)  I haven't found a good reusable alternative that checks ALL of the boxes for me. 

• Thanks 1

I have bamboo velour ones that I love, but I think they would have even more of the over absorbancy issue that the flannel. Was the flannel single layer? (Though I can't imagine single layer flannel rounds not balling up to nothing in the wash.) Have you searched for birds eye or gauze? Those would be burp-cloth like as KungFu suggests.

eta: you just sent me to Etsy to see what they have now, and there are SO MANY choices! When I bought mine, they were a rare thing I could only find one place. I have to say I didn't see anything that would be likely to soak up less than flannel though. That's a tough one.

• Thanks 1

I didn’t find ones I love, I switched back to cotton balls for oil and cheap terry wash cloths for a double cleanse. But when I tried them  I did discover they were constantly lost in the laundry and/or sticking to the inside of clothes when I just threw them in the hamper. So I’d highly suggest getting a couple food containers to store the clean & dirty ones in and then using a lingerie laundry bag to launder them together. 

• Thanks 1

That's helpful; thanks all!

@KSera, I've tried double layer flannel, double layer terry, and flannel on one side / terry on the other. I really appreciate you checking out Etsy--that was going to be my next stop!

@Katy, I always throw mine in with my towels and that works pretty well.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Katy said:

I didn’t find ones I love, I switched back to cotton balls for oil and cheap terry wash cloths for a double cleanse. But when I tried them  I did discover they were constantly lost in the laundry and/or sticking to the inside of clothes when I just threw them in the hamper. So I’d highly suggest getting a couple food containers to store the clean & dirty ones in and then using a lingerie laundry bag to launder them together. 

The ones I have came with a little lingerie bag. I put them in there and throw it in the wash once I have several in the bag.

• 3 weeks later...