Menu

What is your favorite bird feeder?

Indigo Blue

We have those, but the larger version. Ours have four perches each. We need them (and a baffle) to keep squirrels away. The prettier ones are . . . well, prettier . . . but if he has squirrels they'll basically become pretty squirrel feeders that probably get destroyed fairly quickly.

We bought our Brome Squirrel Buster feeders from our local Wild Birds Unlimited. The price is slightly higher than Amazon, but if you buy from them and anything breaks on the feeder (including from squirrel damage) they'll repair it for free. Lifetime guarantee. I think anyone can order free replacement parts from Brome, but we're lazy and we like to support local businesses when we can.  

ETA: This is what we have. If he wants something more decorative he could try something like this, although it only took our squirrels a few days to figure out how to hang upside down from the top, avoid putting any weight on the closing mechanism, and eat and eat and eat. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Thanks 1

We have a Squirrel Buster too; it’s at least 15 yrs old. Cardinal ring broke and weight-sensitive spring is less sensitive than it used to be, but it works fine. Once in a while an acrobatic squirrel makes a good attempt, but generally, the furry friends are happy with what spills.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ABGSX4S/?coliid=IR9V9SZK2UR0I&colid=ME3QPO9L7H58&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This is the one being gifted to ds for his house. I like it. I like pretty ones, too. This one is more utilitarian. I guess. 

Which one has been the most durable for you? The prettiest? The easiest to maintain? 

I have that small Squirrel Buster and really like it but larger birds like Cardinals often have trouble with it. 

This is my Acorn Screen Feeder is my absolute favorite.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pippen said:

but larger birds like Cardinals often have trouble with it

Yes, that's my one beef with them. We still do get cardinals, but not as many as we had before we switched to the Squirrel Busters. I'm thinking about adding a tray feeder for the bigger birds, but I've got to figure out how to keep the squirrels out of it.

• Thanks 1

It looks utilitarian but I bought something like this after @ktgrok suggested it and my birds absolutely love it. I have more traditional hangers too, but this is a favorite. I put out dried mealworms in it and have bluebirds now year round! The cardinals and bluejays prefer it too.

Personally my hummingbird feeders are my favorites because I love love love hummingbirds, but in my yard we get them infrequently. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Yes, that's my one beef with them. We still do get cardinals, but not as many as we had before we switched to the Squirrel Busters. I'm thinking about adding a tray feeder for the bigger birds, but I've got to figure out how to keep the squirrels out of it.

We use something like this on all our poles https://www.gardenersedge.com/torpedo-squirrel-baffle-7/p/NATORPEDO?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4NWrBhD-ARIsAFCKwWuYSg5pKdPQfYkP0EBZXR5-9w_7bnt_G4NRG2sjs1QPCdISOuCW2ogaAhXvEALw_wcB. They aren't cheap but they really do work.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MEmama said:

We’ve got a baffle. But apparently we also have incredibly athletic and intelligent squirrels. Sigh.

ETA: We have a pole system from Wild Birds Unlimited. It’s very spendy but very high quality, and you can add on all sorts of extensions for extra hangers. So our feeders and suet holder are on one pole. I think I’m going to talk to them about adding another extension for a tray feeder. Anyway—only one baffle needed. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Cardinals and Grosbeaks could handle my larger Squirrel Buster, but prefer this acorn feeder. I did have a cardinal that figured out my small Squirrel Buster today, but they usually don't even try. 

I've given up the squirrel fight. I also have one of these ground feeders so they can take what they want, but they still go for the hanging feeders. This is the ground feeder I have and I've been happy with it. 

• Like 2

This is ours.  We previously had a big squirrel problem and also a large bird problem.  Large birds were bullying the smaller birds as well as eating all the seed in one day.  This one has been ripped down twice by a bear and still survived.  I call that a win!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B27WDPRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The squirrels were still getting on there, but we added this on top.  Now a squirrel RARELY makes it on there, and we figure if he did, he earned it.  Also fun to watch them try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BW4S25GY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 2