Menu

I don't get it

A woman was near death in the hospital, right, and she was visited by the angel Gabriel. He said, "God's decided to heal you and you will live for another 40 years."

Overjoyed, the woman thought that she should take advantage of the fact that she was already in the hospital, so she had all sorts of "work" done -- a face lift, a tummy tuck, liposuction, a nose job, you name it.

After the surgeries, she left the hospital and recovered nicely. She felt great! Here she was, newly made-over and guaranteed to live for another 40 years. Then, one day as she was crossing the street, she got run over by a bus and died.

Going through the pearly gates, the woman said to God, "What happened? I thought I was supposed to live for another 40 years!"

God said, "Sorry. I didn't recognize you."

(It's a joke).

God said, "Sorry. I didn't recognize you."

I've heard that one before. :001_smile: I would think plastic surgery would make it so no one recognized you at the funeral.

The story I read said people were being buried with cell phones like they would any other object that meant the most to them or that spoke of them and their life. I don't think I'd want people to remember me because my cell phone was so important. I thought that was really sad.

I've heard that one before. :001_smile: I would think plastic surgery would make it so no one recognized you at the funeral.

The story I read said people were being buried with cell phones like they would any other object that meant the most to them or that spoke of them and their life. I don't think I'd want people to remember me because my cell phone was so important. I thought that was really sad.

Did you read about the woman who kept paying her husband's cell phone bill, so she can call him to hear his voice mail message? Now that is sad.

I think we're flat out unreconciled with death. We aren't much different from the Ancient Egyptians that way, in my book. Fascinated and freaked out. And now we have these modern gadgets and technologies to, what? highlight, perhaps, our discomfort.

Did you read about the woman who kept paying her husband's cell phone bill, so she can call him to hear his voice mail message?

I didn't see that. Wow. You would think she could have taped it instead.

Death is a hard subject and we have a hard time letting go. I thought the original things were just plain kooky but now I'm sad. :sad:

I think I'll go to bed. Goodnight.

Kelly

I didn't see that. Wow. You would think she could have taped it instead.

Death is a hard subject and we have a hard time letting go. I thought the original things were just plain kooky but now I'm sad. :sad:

I think I'll go to bed. Goodnight.

Kelly

Oh, dear. Sorry. I didn't mean to freak you out! I posted earlier today about the cell phone thing. Because I don't get it either.

You get some rest!

Oh, dear. Sorry. I didn't mean to freak you out! I posted earlier today about the cell phone thing. Because I don't get it either.

You get some rest!

I wondered if someone had already posted about it. Don't worry. You didn't freak me out. Whenever I talk about death too long my mind wanders to my kids and then I get sad.

Kelly

Did you read about the woman who kept paying her husband's cell phone bill, so she can call him to hear his voice mail message? Now that is sad.

That is sad, but...

I have the tape from my brother's answering machine. I haven't listened to it in years, but knowing I could hear his voice if I wanted to...

That is sad, but...

I have the tape from my brother's answering machine. I haven't listened to it in years, but knowing I could hear his voice if I wanted to...

Oh, Crissy. That absolutely makes sense.

A colleague of mine passed away last month. I called his number once, right after, to hear his voice again. I could not delete the email about his death and I cannot delete his number from my speed dial. Just can't.

Oh, Crissy. That absolutely makes sense.

A colleague of mine passed away last month. I called his number once, right after, to hear his voice again. I could not delete the email about his death and I cannot delete his number from my speed dial. Just can't.

I think letting some things go, no matter how insignificant they seemed before someone's death, feels too much like we're moving on and leaving them behind.

That is sad, but...

The first time I called my stepmom, after my dad's death, and heard his voice...I just about broke.

And I called again. And again. When I knew she wasn't home, just so I could hear it.

She had a hard time deleting it, too, but she made a tape for me, as well.

It might be hard for some to understand, but I totally get it.

The first time I called my stepmom, after my dad's death, and heard his voice...I just about broke.

And I called again. And again. When I knew she wasn't home, just so I could hear it.

She had a hard time deleting it, too, but she made a tape for me, as well.

It might be hard for some to understand, but I totally get it.

I compeletly understand doing this. I don't understand paying a cell phone bill just to keep the voice mail. There must be another way. Absolutely some people would want to hear the voices of their loved ones. I'm more of the type to just let things go that are going to make me cry. I don't want them around.

Kelly

We buried my dad with his glasses and his hearing aid, even though he obviously won't be needing them. We just felt he should have them. I think for some people, their cell phone is similar, something that just "goes" with them. Actually, my DH is on the cell phone so much, maybe he would want to be buried with it.

I would like a Snickers bar in my grave, along with whatever book I'm reading when I die.

Michelle T