Menu

Panicky--Just found out ds has to take the GED to apply to college!

I'm PP'd--panicked and pissed. Somehow we didn't see the tiny little part of the apps process that said homeschoolers had to have the GED. I swear it wasn't there before!

So, please tell me--can he accomplish that before the Feb 1 deadline? The Jan 5 scholarship deadline is not a possibility--and that just...urrggghhh.

Anyway, good thoughts and prayers are needed here. So many hoops, so little time...

My oldest had to take the GED for a job in the Sheriff's Dept (which he decided afterward he didn't want) and he passed with no problems. This is a guy who, no matter how hard he tried in highschool, seemed to maintain a C average. So, all that to say, he is not at all an above average student.

What was very odd was that he passed the science section in the 95 percentile which means, I am told, that only 5% taking the test got a higher score than him. The only science this boy took in highschool was physical and biology...and BARELY passed both! I was shocked he did so well. He now loves to brag that he has some type of innate science ability. :lol::lol: I laugh and know this to not be the case...but....he IS doing rather well in his college science classes so far. ;)

To burst his delusional bubble I remind him that his GED math scores were 50 percentile. Perfectly, decidedly, average. :w00t: I'm such a supportive mom.

Anyhow, though he decided to pass on the Custody Assistant job (aka babysitting inmates all day) with the Sheriff's Dept, taking the GED was still useful. He found that it was needed to get into the nursing program at our community college. You don't need a GED to attend college classes, but to get into some of the college's special programs homeschoolers need either the GED, The California Proficiency Exam, or a diploma (transcript) from an accredited school. Apparently our homeschool transcript is not enough. :001_huh: Yeah....what-ever! :glare:

As for getting the test taken AND scores returned in time? I would definitely start looking into that asap.

And I can tell you that it depends on the state in which you take the test. For instance, in CT, if you fail any subject test, you must wait three months before re-taking that portion of the test. Two states north in Vermont, the laws are different and you can take the test again the next weekend if you'd like. Not that I"m saying your son would fail, just using that example to point out that the regulations differ by state.

That said, I'd be most concerned about being able to get into a scheduled test date. AGain, not sure how it works where you live, but here in CT, a registered Adult Education site (school district's adult ed program, for example) must do the registering for each student. I know that quite often, the January/February test dates fill up very quickly because students who take GED classes in the fall want to get locked into a testing date soon after their classes end (before they forget it all! :-) So January/February dates are often filled by November.

In addition, if your son gets into a testing date, he may not get his results in time to apply. In CT, it generally takes 6 weeks or so for the tests to be scored and the results sent to the student.

Again, I have no idea what things are like in your state. I hope your son gets it all taken care of asap--- I'm sure he'll sail through the test!

Astrid

I have friends in NY that have been able to provisionally enter college without their GEDs and take them later. Also once they have something like 19 credits in a variety of courses they don't need to take the GED but different admissions people seem to have different info. Maybe you can work something out if you can't get the test scheduled. Keep up the good fight. :)

Is this common? I thought most places accepted a homeschool diploma and SAT/ACT scores.

I don't know how common it is, personally. Our community college has not once asked either of my boys for their SAT scores. This is community college though...I am sure big universitys are quite different, with each having their own set of entrance/placement criteria.

Is this common? I thought most places accepted a homeschool diploma and SAT/ACT scores.

It used to be more common, but thanks to HSLDA and other groups, it is no longer. There are quite a few articles on HSLDA's site about this issue. You can start here and search for other articles on the site.