Menu

Swimming lane blocking - what would you do?

Laura Corin

What would you do?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you

• challenge?
    • complain?
    • sigh?
    • other?

Last Friday I went swimming to the public indoor pool. There are four lanes, each of them a double, with a notice at each end of the the lane showing swimming speed (slow, medium or fast) and arrows to indicate how to swim up one side of the lane and down the other. So each lane is its own circuit.

Two ladies a little older than I were swimming up and down in parallel whilst chatting, so no one else could circulate in their lane. The other lanes had four people in each. Would you have 1. swum up to them and forced them to give way, perhaps repeatedly,  2. complained to the life-guard/management or 3. just sighed and joined another lane?

Edited by Laura Corin

Oh, I do this all the time.  I would wait until they got to the end of the lane and then loudly ask, "Hi, can we circle swim?"  Then when they grudgingly accede, I cheerfully say "thanks!" and jump in.

I have very little patience for people who get possessive about swim lanes.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, JennyD said:

Oh, I do this all the time.  I would wait until they got to the end of the lane and then loudly ask, "Hi, can we circle swim?"  Then when they grudgingly accede, I cheerfully say "thanks!" and jump in.

I have very little patience for people who get possessive about swim lanes.  

Yes, this. 

I think I would join a different lane. Mostly because even if the two chatting swimmers did follow the rules, I'd be passing them over and over again due to the slow speed. I'd assume that they would continue to swim head-up breast stroke, which is slow and wide, and passing would be far more annoying than just joining a different lane.

• Like 1