Menu

Question for those who know about thyroid issues

mum

I've had massive hair loss for 6+ months. Free T4 is 1.1 and TSH is 2.4. Both are considered 'normal' by run-of-the-mill doctor. Does anyone have experience with thyroid issues and know anything more about numbers like mine?

Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, mum said:

I've had massive hair loss for 6+ months. Free T4 is 1.1 and TSH is 2.4. Both are considered 'normal' by run-of-the-mill doctor. Does anyone have experience with thyroid issues and know anything more about numbers like mine?

Thank you. 

My doctor would not be ok with that TSH. Optimal is also different than technically in range. But you would need to seek alternative Drs as most wouldn't treat that.  

Edited by busymama7

14 hours ago, mum said:

Thank you. 

"normal" =/= optimal.   "Normal" includes people with poor thyroid numbers.

did they test your Free T3?   generally you need *both*.   dr's tend to only prescribe T4.  T4 is a storage hormone that must be converted to T3.  At least they actually tested the Free and not the total . .  

I currently take both T4 and T3, the ratios have been adjusted for me.  Huge, HUGE difference in how I feel.  (I think I wasn't getting enough T3 with the Armour).

TSH is a pituitary hormone that is made to tell your thyroid to make thyroid hormones.  It's elevated because the thyroid still isn't making enough.  My Free T4 and Free T3 are now balanced in optimal range.  my TSH is <1.0

Adrenal dysfunction can cause hair loss.  (lack of outer eyebrows is extremely common with poor adrenal function).  Adrenal dysfunction often goes hand in hand with poor thyroid (especially if it's been poor function for a long time.). for that- you want the spit test (4x's in 24 hours) - NEVER waste your time and money with the blood test. (once and done, and the way it is measured is misleading).

19d767adee819d059f9e259eec06332f.jpg

Edited by gardenmom5

15 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

I always feel better when my TSH is under 2 and closer to 1. 

I do too, but I have Hashimoto’s. Vast amounts of hair loss haven’t been tied to my thyroid though—hence my pointing OP to a derm. If she brushes it all off as thyroid, it can be harder to correct and regrow hair if it’s due to another cause.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 1:14 AM, mum said:

Thank you. 

Normally I don't have hair loss issues with my thyroid at those numbers. I get slight hair loss if my TSH is high. After I gave birth and after a miscarriage I had really bad hair loss for about 6 - 8 months. I wasn't diagnosed at that time, but a neurologist who had seen my son asked me if I had thyroid issues because my eyes were kind of bulging at the time. I think it was maybe a weight loss issue - I weighed 22 lbs. less after his birth than I did before I got pregnant, but maybe I was hyperthyroid at the time.