Menu

Help, fleas

Annie Elle

We have 3 small dogs between 7-11 lbs. Though we have always had dogs, we have not had to deal with fleas in 25 yrs and the dogs have not been on any flea prevention because we have not had fleas in our environment.

This past Wednesday evening I noticed fleas on our long haired dog. All 3 dogs got bathed in Dawn and flea combed that night and all bedding, dog blankets and dog beds were washed. Most of the fleas were found on our long haired dog. The other 2 barely had any though I have noticed one of those itching more than usual. The next morning the dogs were treated with K9 Advantics Flea drops- I carefully followed the directions.

They still have fleas, especially the long haired one. I read that the baths could have stripped oil from their fur and kept the drops from working but I’m scared to re-apply the drops and don’t want to poison my fur babies. I know I probably need to treat our yard and our couch too but I’m hesitant to use wide spread poison everywhere.

On top of all that, we HAVE to get rid of the fleas this week. Our oldest son is getting married at our house this Saturday. The wedding will be outside but the house will be open for guests to come in. I rather not have fleas jump on our guests. as of right now though, we have not seen any fleas on us or the furniture. But I know if we can’t get it under control, it will happen. We have a babysitter to take the dogs for the day and don’t want to give their dog fleas.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You need to treat the house, not just the dogs. Read up on the life cycle of fleas. Fleas hide in crevices and cracks. The ones you see on the animals are usually just a small fraction.

Wash all bedding and textiles on hot. Vacuum daily, especially crevices around base board etc. Vacuum all upholstery. Spray floors with spray for treating the house, not the pet.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Get Capstar for the dogs. You may need more than one dose (it's been decades since I've had to deal with an infestation, so I'm out of the loop on that--others on here or your vet will know about repeated dosing). Then treat the house as Regentrude said. Make sure you use a vacuum with a bag, and dispose of the bag outside after each vacuuming.

• Like 4

I work with a feral cat program that pairs them up with humans to control rat populations. They are usually infested with fleas. I was just bitten about two weeks ago thanks to an irresistable lovable kitten. lol

Capstar tablets will kill adult fleas on the animal for about 24 hours. It’s an insecticide and once it reaches the blood, fleas who bite will die quickly. You’ll probably want something more long term as well. We ask vets for recommendations because they have a good idea as to what is working.

In the meantime, vacuum daily wherever your dogs hang out inside. Empty the bag into something they can't escape like a plastic bag that is tied. I prefer to get any possible bagged fleas to the outside garbage bins asap.

Thorough steaming can kill them, too. Washing and drying on a hot setting also.

From what I’ve read on forums, a spray called Alpine works well, too, but it takes about a month to completely work due to the flea life cycle.

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef602

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but you might have them all over the yard.

Fleas like some people more than others. A lot of times people don’t realize that they have fleas because they aren’t sensitive to the bites and/or not getting bit. In the days of flea collars, my family wouldn’t get bitten, but I would. I was the flea detector.

We had neighbors whose dogs had fleas. They swore up and down their son couldn’t be getting flea bites because he was the only one bitten (and his legs were covered). Every time I hear about fleas, same story. 

• Like 2

Wondercide makes a fantastic flea/tick spray that is natural and pet safe.  I spray my clothes and shoes with it before work ( not bringing home any hitchhikers). They also have a nice yard spray.  This year has been an interesting year for fleas even for my clients who have done everything right to prevent. 

Top Performance makes a great natural flea and tick shampoo.  I use it on dogs at work and my own.  Let it sit on the pup for 10 minutes for maximum benefit. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

I’m echoing what others have mentioned. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!!! I’d talk with my vet, but I’d do Capstar and then an oral flea medication if it’s safe to do so. You *must* treat the environment—outside and inside. 

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. We did once many, many years ago and it was a nightmare. We didn’t realize we had fleas in the house until we removed the dogs for a weekend. Without the dogs, they chose us. It was awful. We had to stay with family, spray the house, and then I had to vacuum like crazy for what seemed like forever. (At least a month for the whole flea life cycle if I’m remembering correctly). The RX topical medication was not working on our dogs at all. I still don’t know if the local fleas were immune to it, or if it had something to do with our dogs being elderly and not “processing” the medicine right or who knows. But Capstar, flea meds by mouth, indoor treatment, and vacuuming solved our problem. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I’m echoing what others have mentioned. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!!! I’d talk with my vet, but I’d do Capstar and then an oral flea medication if it’s safe to do so. You *must* treat the environment—outside and inside. 

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. We did once many, many years ago and it was a nightmare. We didn’t realize we had fleas in the house until we removed the dogs for a weekend. Without the dogs, they chose us. It was awful. We had to stay with family, spray the house, and then I had to vacuum like crazy for what seemed like forever. (At least a month for the whole flea life cycle if I’m remembering correctly). The RX topical medication was not working on our dogs at all. I still don’t know if the local fleas were immune to it, or if it had something to do with our dogs being elderly and not “processing” the medicine right or who knows. But Capstar, flea meds by mouth, indoor treatment, and vacuuming solved our problem. 

Every client for the past few years who are extremely vigilant about flea prevention and had an infestation used the topicals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry. I can't tell you how much I hate fleas. Yes to Capstar, yes to vacuuming daily and yes to checking every night with a flea comb. Even after you think they are gone, continue to vacuum daily. That is truly the best way to prevent and get rid of fleas. Make sure you are dumping your vacuum's contents outdoors.

• Like 1