Menu

Bible curriculum for 3rd, 5th, and 6th graders

Ting Tang

We've used Memoria Press for Christian Studies.  My third child used the K-2nd curriculum, and my older two got through CS I.  This year, I decided we would just read the Old and New Testament stories in the Golden Children's Bible, alternating each days.  But my husband says, "that's not a curriculum."  I was planning to do a more CM-type of approach this year.  I did think the Memoria Press curriculum was good for truly learning about the Bible, but I feel like that would be so hard to attempt with four full-time learners now.  Thoughts?  Why not just read and enjoy? 

People taught the Bible for hundreds of years without "currciulum". Just sayin.

Read and do the MP questions/reviews/quizzes/tests orally with all of them round robin style. I would start over in CS1 and work your way through systematically. Skip all the writing stuff. Keep the Bible memory verses, if yours like a challenge. You could print out the drill questions and put them on the wall to fill in together as you go.

• Like 3

We just read and enjoy. I "use" Telling God's Story, but all that means is I read the passages outlined by that book. Then we practice/memorize the memory passage my children get from Sunday school. 

There are a lot of free go through the scripture lists online depending on how you want to go through it. Chronologically, mix New Testament/Old Testament/Psalm/Proverbs, devotional, in depth book, by topic, etc.  I've found a lot of the "curriculum" is really geared toward Sunday School where there is a lot of stuff there just to occupy children for a given amount of time. 

In terms of "hands-on" learning, I believe that's called living when we are talking about the Bible. 

• Like 1

We don't use a full curriculum but we are going through 24 Family Ways by Clay and Sally Clarkson (kind of a bible study about character), reading The Biggest Story Bible and Indescribable by Louie Giglio, memorizing scripture and New City Catechisms. I don't know that I would want bible study to feel like the rest of their school with a workbook but that could change.

• Like 1

We’ve bought curriculum and have not used it much. We are enjoying reading Bible stories and memorizing scripture a La CM style. I’ve been wanting to try this for a couple years, but this is the 1st year we’ve put it in practice, and it takes less than a minute so far because we only have 3 verses. I’m glad we started. 

• Like 1

Rather than a Bible "study" for such young children, I would help them learn the things which will help them understand what they are reading and give them more background information and whatnot. That would iinclude memorizing books of the Bible, names of the 12 tribes, names of the 12 disciples/apostles, and so on. Bible Study Guide for All Ages has some nifty charts and whatnot, a basic timeline and more.

This is how I teach books of the Bible: Divide them into categories, e.g., in the Old Testament, Books of the Law, History, Poetry, Major Prophets, Minor Prophets; in the NT, Books of HIstory (Gospels plus Acts, which is a history of the First  Church), Pauline Epistles, General Epistles, Prophesy. So the dc learn first the books in order in each category, then the books in order from Genesis to Zacharia; then NT categories the same way; then Matthew to Revolation; then Genesis to Revelation. When I taught this in Sunday school, a child who learned the OT categories in random order (books in order in each category, of course) earned a bronze star; Genesis to Zecharia, a silver star; NT categories in random order, bronze star; Matthew to Revelation, silver star; OT and NT categorgies in random order, Genesis to Revelation; gold star. So they oculd earn two bronze, two silver, and one gold star.

• Like 1

OH, and also, after we had worked on memorizing books of the Bible for some time, we started doing "sword drills." The dc enjoyed that. 🙂 We talked quite a bit about actually finding Scripture references, because I wanted them to be familiar with their Bibles so that they could easily find what they were looking for.

This video shows more sword drills than I have ever done. We just did specific verses, e.g., John 3:16.

• Like 3

On 9/10/2023 at 12:47 PM, Ting Tang said:

memorizing the books of the Bible

You can google to get songs for this. I learned a NT song when I was in SS years and years ago (40! whew!!) which I then taught in Sunday School and then taught to my kids. It's not particular and there are plenty of them. CEF=Child Evangelism Fellowship has whole books of songs for children, love, love. 

Have you seen the materials from Scripture Memory Fellowship? You can also buy the books from Awana. My ds has never been able to do Awana because of his language issues, sigh, but I'm thinking about running through the Awana teen books with him this school year to fill in holes. I was thinking about doing it as sword drills (he finds the verse and reads it) plus that discussion about the concept. We'll see. I found lists for each book, so I need to decide if I'm actually buying the books or just doing the lists.

If it doesn't seem too young, you can spread a study of Little Pilgrim's Progress over a year with them. I know a cs that does this with their 4th graders, so your range of kids would split the difference and be pretty nice. It's one of my absolute favorite books ever to use in homeschooling. You could of course just read it too, not spreading it out. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bible Study Guide for All Ages is what we love for those ages!  We use the primary level with the teacher's guide, student pages, audio CD, Bible Book cards, wall maps and timeline.  It's excellent and they memorize all the books of the Bible, sons of Jacob, etc.  We read the lesson from the KJV, it has you stop every few verses and has a short summary and then a cartoon illustration of that part and an activity or question.  It takes us about 30 minutes to do everything.  You could do the intermediate level but we started with primary and just decided to stay with it.  You can see the free samples on their website and Rainbow Resource also sells the materials.

We do the MP Christian Studies books after 4 years of BSGAA.

• Like 1