Menu

Sock yarn

ProudGrandma

I knit socks using double points (not a loom) but I assume that we'd use the same materials. Many sock yarns are fingering weight, 80-85% superwash wool, remainder nylon for durability.  I have knitted pure merino socks but they need to be hand washed--not something everyone wants to do.

Have fun! 

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jane in NC said:

I knit socks using double points (not a loom) but I assume that we'd use the same materials. Many sock yarns are fingering weight, 80-85% superwash wool, remainder nylon for durability.  I have knitted pure merino socks but they need to be hand washed--not something everyone wants to do.

Have fun! 

Where do you buy your yarn? Is it expensive?

1 minute ago, kfeusse said:

Where do you buy your yarn? Is it expensive?

When I was getting started, I bought inexpensive Lion brand sock yarns at JoAnns.  Later, but still in the pre-pandemic world, I traveled often and would return home with yarn from a locally owned yarn store, often products that were hand dyed locally.  Great souvenir.

Admittedly I am buying more expensive yarns these days. There is a movement in the knitting world toward yarns that are ethically sourced and dyed.

At this point, you might just go the economic route to see if you enjoy the process and the product.  I love wool socks--as do family members.

If you have great charity shops in your neck of the woods, you might even find fingering yarns to play with there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jane in NC said:

When I was getting started, I bought inexpensive Lion brand sock yarns at JoAnns.  Later, but still in the pre-pandemic world, I traveled often and would return home with yarn from a locally owned yarn store, often products that were hand dyed locally.  Great souvenir.

Admittedly I am buying more expensive yarns these days. There is a movement in the knitting world toward yarns that are ethically sourced and dyed.

At this point, you might just go the economic route to see if you enjoy the process and the product.  I love wool socks--as do family members.

If you have great charity shops in your neck of the woods, you might even find fingering yarns to play with there.

So you think I could use cheap acrylic yarn or cotton yarn to test out the craft? I just didn't know if using the wrong yarn would make the process harder...or even different enough that it wouldn't be a fair test.  

I don't use acrylic yarns so I have no clue there.  I once made a pair of cotton socks but it was sock yarn that was more than just cotton. The typical cotton yarn that is sold at JoAnns makes great wash clothes but is too thick for socks. 

Does the instructions for your loom specify a certain weight of yarn or a gauge?? That should be your starting point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

So you think I could use cheap acrylic yarn or cotton yarn to test out the craft? I just didn't know if using the wrong yarn would make the process harder...or even different enough that it wouldn't be a fair test.  

It won’t be harder, but if you’re the kind of person that gets into sensory experience using natural fibers feels different (better).  Get your hands on some nice baby alpaca and you’ll never buy craft store yarn again. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Danae said:

Warning:  I buy expensive yarn.  But if you want cool striped socks, you can get “sock kits” that come with two balls that have the same color pattern and start at the same place in the pattern so your socks will match.  

https://www.stevenbe.com/shop/Yarn/Yarn-By-Weight/FingeringSock/p/Urth-Uneek-Matching-Stripes-Sock---61-x39669931.htm

now that is interesting....but expensive....like you said.  Hmmm...

4 minutes ago, Danae said:

Here’s some cheap sock yarn at JoAnn’s.  You should probably find out if this is something you enjoy before you go overboard. 

(And when you’re ready to go overboard, this is my favorite ever yarn to knit with.). 

Even this yarn will make a decent wearing washable sock and the colorways are cute!  Perfect sock starter yarn here.   Just make sure you get enough yarn for a pair.  Sometimes your first pass will have you adjusting and learning about tension so definitely good to start cheap.   

I also have issues spending $$$$$ on yarn.  🤪

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

Expensive but very fun sock yarn here . More economical but still higher quality than big box craft stores here.

Like Jane, I knit on double points, but I assume the gauge/ yarn weight is similar for loom-knit socks. 

I might need the clownfish stripes.

I knit socks in parallel on two circulars because 1) if I lose count I’m still doing the same thing to both socks and 2) I don’t have to worry about finishing one and never getting around to knitting its mate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danae said:

Warning:  I buy expensive yarn.  But if you want cool striped socks, you can get “sock kits” that come with two balls that have the same color pattern and start at the same place in the pattern so your socks will match.  

https://www.stevenbe.com/shop/Yarn/Yarn-By-Weight/FingeringSock/p/Urth-Uneek-Matching-Stripes-Sock---61-x39669931.htm

I made that exact pair of socks! 😄 They were particularly expensive because I bought the yarn on a trip to Paris. Like @Jane in NC I think yarn makes an excellent souvenir!

• Like 3

There are different size looms-- not patterns/sock sizes but size of looms for size of yarn-- some sock looms use 'regular' weight yearn and some use the fine weight-- look up the one you have on YouTube-- you will find out the type of yarn that works best plus get free lessons!

(I do lots of loom knitting)

2 hours ago, Danae said:

I might need the clownfish stripes.

I knit socks in parallel on two circulars because 1) if I lose count I’m still doing the same thing to both socks and 2) I don’t have to worry about finishing one and never getting around to knitting its mate.

Interesting idea.  You make socks on circular looms? Might you have a pattern to share? 

10 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

There are different size looms-- not patterns/sock sizes but size of looms for size of yarn-- some sock looms use 'regular' weight yearn and some use the fine weight-- look up the one you have on YouTube-- you will find out the type of yarn that works best plus get free lessons!

(I do lots of loom knitting)

What else do you knit on looms? I have done the hat thing... but what else do you do?

8 hours ago, kfeusse said:

Interesting idea.  You make socks on circular looms? Might you have a pattern to share? 

No, not looms.  Circular knitting needles — two short needles with a cable between them.  To knit socks (or mittens, or other paired items) you use two sets with half of the stitches for each on each so that a round consists of the front of sock A, the front of sock B, the back of sock B, then the back of sock A.  

C7B56861-ED74-48AD-A6AE-537695B16277.jpeg

Edited by Danae
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, kfeusse said:

What else do you knit on looms? I have done the hat thing... but what else do you do?

Not Jann, but I have a rather large loom that I use to make blankets.  I think there's 110 pegs on each board and it has adjustable spacers to widen it for different types of yarn. My last blanket was about 4ft wide using regular worsted.