Menu

Steam cleaning for dummies-- What am I doing wrong?

Shelydon

I was gifted a like new McCullogh steam cleaner. It has pretty high ratings and looks like it's used quite a bit for both home and automotive cleaning. I read the directions and watched a couple of videos of people happily steaming their floors, refrigerators and bathrooms. I got it set up and going and took it to a bathroom where I tried to clean the tub and tile. The bathroom has not been in use in several months so there's a lot of dried on soap scum and general dirt. All the steam cleaner does is get things wet. The dirt doesn't even move. 

I'm either not understanding how to use this or it's not really meant for things that are actually dirty. I use the tip that says it's meant for cleaning grout. 

Ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Or is steam cleaning really for things that you've already scrubbed clean and you're just disinfecting or something like that. 

I have a Dupray steam cleaner and I need the special attachments to clean things like grout. I could probably spray it with steam and then follow behind with a different grout brush like a spin brush separately but that would be more of a pain. You definitely need something to wipe up the water with or you'll just have a puddle of dirty water when you're done.

14 minutes ago, Paige said:

I have a Dupray steam cleaner and I need the special attachments to clean things like grout. I could probably spray it with steam and then follow behind with a different grout brush like a spin brush separately but that would be more of a pain. You definitely need something to wipe up the water with or you'll just have a puddle of dirty water when you're done.

I do have the special attachments. It definitely does not make a difference. I ended up just spraying the whole thing down with dawn soap scrubbing it with a brush and it was clean in less than 2 minutes.  I'm thinking maybe a steam cleaner is not what I thought it was. Maybe I was expecting something magical

1 hour ago, Shelydon said:

I do have the special attachments. It definitely does not make a difference. I ended up just spraying the whole thing down with dawn soap scrubbing it with a brush and it was clean in less than 2 minutes.  I'm thinking maybe a steam cleaner is not what I thought it was. Maybe I was expecting something magical

Well, boo. I have been looking at these, too, and so was following along with great hope.

Now I’m thinking that what I really need is a tendency to rage clean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Spryte said:

Well, boo. I have been looking at these, too, and so was following along with great hope.

Now I’m thinking that what I really need is a tendency to rage clean.

I'm really glad I did not actually spend money on it. It looks like some people use it to steam clean cars? I tried multiple other things today like a glass shower door. All it does is makes it wet and hot, there is no cleaning at all. 🤷‍♀️

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Shelydon said:

All the steam cleaner does is get things wet. The dirt doesn't even move. 

I'm either not understanding how to use this or it's not really meant for things that are actually dirty. I use the tip that says it's meant for cleaning grout. 

Ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Or is steam cleaning really for things that you've already scrubbed clean and you're just disinfecting or something like that. 

No it's the opposite — steaming is what loosens the grime and then you scrub or wipe it away. I have a Dupray Neat steam cleaner and it works great for me, but I always use it with a pad or cloth over the steam head, so I'm mopping or scrubbing with that while steaming. So to wash the floor, I push the steam button while mopping with the pad that goes over the steam head. In the shower I steam and then wipe with a cloth. The steam replaces chemicals, not friction, if that makes sense.

If you're already scrubbing or wiping after steaming and the dirt still isn't moving, then I'd check that you're waiting for the steamer to get really really hot. Mine has a light that turns green when it's fully hot, and after using it a while it will go back to orange, meaning I need to wait for it to get hot enough again. When it's really hot enough, the steam isn't actually very "wet" — when I steam clean my floors, the floor isn't wet afterwards

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

No it's the opposite — steaming is what loosens the grime and then you scrub or wipe it away. I have a Dupray Neat steam cleaner and it works great for me, but I always use it with a pad or cloth over the steam head, so I'm mopping or scrubbing with that while steaming. So to wash the floor, I push the steam button while mopping with the pad that goes over the steam head. In the shower I steam and then wipe with a cloth. The steam replaces chemicals, not friction, if that makes sense.

If you're already scrubbing or wiping after steaming and the dirt still isn't moving, then I'd check that you're waiting for the steamer to get really really hot. Mine has a light that turns green when it's fully hot, and after using it a while it will go back to orange, meaning I need to wait for it to get hot enough again. When it's really hot enough, the steam isn't actually very "wet" — when I steam clean my floors, the floor isn't wet afterwards

Gotcha. I thought it acted more like a pressure washer where the gunk was steamed off. If I have to scrub or wipe, the added hassle to fill the steamer, wait for it heat up, then put it all away is not worth it. I'll stick with soap. 🙃

• Like 1

Yeah I gave up on the steam cleaners ages ago. What I do (in a very small house with lino floors) is soak cloths or old towels in verry hot water and 'walk' them around the room. A lot quicker and one less device to clutter the house. I found the cloths on the bottom of the steam cleaner had to be changed every few minutes and it was a real pain.

I don’t have grout, so I can’t really comment on that, but I did read a review that said it was better for routine grout cleaning than built up grout issues.

I mainly use my neat steam cleaner for furniture, rugs, and the car, and it gets up TONS of dirt and stink. There’s one rug stain only I can see that it hasn’t taken up, but I can only ask for so many miracles.

• Like 1

I got a dupray. I was disappointed that it didn't get the microwave to look new. I did like it to clean windows and upholstery. I didn't use in our showers. I've used it about 3 times but ran out of distilled water and forgot to buy more for about a year. I'll put water on my list.