Menu

Treager Grills....the good...bad and the neutral...

ProudGrandma

the kids and I are considering getting their dad (my husband 😊) a Treager Grill for his birthday/Christmas gift.  We are looking at the Tailgater specifically because it's not crazy expensive, it doesn't sit on the ground, but can be used at home and can be taken to the camp ground when camp.  

I know very little about these...other than we have eaten some meat cooked on one and it's always been very good.  

So if you have had experience with these grills, will you please chime in here and give me your thoughts....good and bad.  

Thanks. 

I absolutely love mine. I have a big one as I do a lot when I use it.  Not just meat but veggies and cheese are fantastic in it ( you can smoke cheese for flavor in dishes).  I have baked a cake in mine.  I had a pit boss that I returned in a month when it needed repairs already.  The Traeger is one of my top purchases.  

Costco sells its own brand of pellets and that is what I use now. 

• Like 1

We have a Treager smoker. Ours is pretty big.  My dh loves smoking everything & I love the results. Ours connects to his phone via an app. He can control it from there if he wants. It's this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traeger-Pro-780-Wifi-Pellet-Grill-and-Smoker-in-Black-TFB78GLE/307316114

3 hours ago, fraidycat said:

We love ours. It's a smaller one, but not the tailgater. My brother has a few - in different sizes so he can smoke a lot, make large pizzas, or just cook a few wings for supper, including the tailgater for camping.

have you seen the tailgater?  I have read reviews were the legs were pretty flimsy.  So that is a bit concerning to me.  Might you be able to address that?

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

have you seen the tailgater?  I have read reviews were the legs were pretty flimsy.  So that is a bit concerning to me.  Might you be able to address that?

Thanks. 

Our friend has the tailgater.   I looked at it last camping trip they did.  The legs don’t seem flimsy to me at all.  He does a lot of traveling with it and it is still going strong.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kfeusse said:

Thanks. 

His does not have legs. It's maybe an older version? Like it just sits on a tailgate or table.

17 hours ago, kfeusse said:

There is one size that is smaller than the tailgater, it's called the ranger and it has no legs....might that be what he has?

Ok, I finally went to the website. Yes, the Ranger is what he has for the camper. 

Mine would probably be considered the Tailgater one, though I think it had a different name when I bought it 15ish years ago. My legs are not flimsy... but I bought it 15ish years ago, so 🤷🏻‍♀️.

I have been eyeing these for years. I found a Weber Spirit that someone was giving away though, so that's what I'm currently using. That and an old, old electric Brinkman bullet smoker. 

Is it okay to use an extension cord with the Traegers? That's been one of the drawbacks with smoking on the little Brinkman. I don't have an outlet on the side of my deck that is uncovered. I use a heavy gauge extension cord, but it's kind of a pain. 

this reminds me...I need to brine a chicken tonight.

Edited by popmom

9 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Ok, I finally went to the website. Yes, the Ranger is what he has for the camper. 

Mine would probably be considered the Tailgater one, though I think it had a different name when I bought it 15ish years ago. My legs are not flimsy... but I bought it 15ish years ago, so 🤷🏻‍♀️.

15 years? That's really good. Maybe I could find a one used for a decent price. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, popmom said:

I have been eyeing these for years. I found a Weber Spirit that someone was giving away though, so that's what I'm currently using. That and an old, old electric Brinkman bullet smoker. 

Is it okay to use an extension cord with the Traegers? That's been one of the drawbacks with smoking on the little Brinkman. I don't have an outlet on the side of my deck that is uncovered. I use a heavy gauge extension cord, but it's kind of a pain. 

this reminds me...I need to brine a chicken tonight.

I do use an extension cord for my Traeger.  But it is one made for appliances.  

• Like 1