Menu

Another episode of "How old is Dawn exactly?"

DawnM

I am attending a retirement seminar today.   

I never thought I would even get to this point, much less actual retirement.   

I want to see if there is any way to get health benefits without waiting 7.5 more years, which is what I think I have left to receive full health benefits.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I am attending a retirement seminar today.   

I never thought I would even get to this point, much less actual retirement.   

I want to see if there is any way to get health benefits without waiting 7.5 more years, which is what I think I have left to receive full health benefits.

Good you are attending.  I can go out at 59.75 (Sept birthday) and pay $125/ month for heath insurance and then they pay 100% when I go on Medicare.

i joined this retirement program way back in 1989 though….and they don’t offer anything like it anymore

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ottakee said:

Good you are attending.  I can go out at 59.75 (Sept birthday) and pay $125/ month for heath insurance and then they pay 100% when I go on Medicare.

i joined this retirement program way back in 1989 though….and they don’t offer anything like it anymore

Now I want to time travel. 😁Those sound like great benefits. 

4 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I am so mad I didn't stay in CA and just finish my years there.  I would get full health insurance for me and DH FOR FREE for life.  

I started in NC in 2016 and am still in the vested plan, but they have now cut it and for the past few years, any new teachers/educators will no longer get health care in retirement.   It stinks for them.  

Oh, and since I started so late in NC, I have to work util 65, or rather, my birthday minus my sick days, which I hope to have about a half a year of sick leave by then.   I think it used to be 62.5 but I got in after they changed it to 65. 

Edited by DawnM

30 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Now I want to time travel. 😁Those sound like great benefits. 

I signed up at age 18 when I worked summer school and forgot about it.  Then when I went back full time 4 years ago it was waiting for me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I am so mad I didn't stay in CA and just finish my years there.  I would get full health insurance for me and DH FOR FREE for life.  

I started in NC in 2016 and am still in the vested plan, but they have now cut it and for the past few years, any new teachers/educators will no longer get health care in retirement.   It stinks for them.  

Oh, and since I started so late in NC, I have to work util 65, or rather, my birthday minus my sick days, which I hope to have about a half a year of sick leave by then.   I think it used to be 62.5 but I got in after they changed it to 65. 

Are you not grandfathered in to the program you started in?   Or did you cash out?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Are you not grandfathered in to the program you started in?   Or did you cash out?

Grandfathered, if I go back I am under the old rules.

I will still get my pension each month but health insurance is only if you retire from there and have worked the last 3 years in the district.   It was an LAUSD thing, not a CA thing.   I would have to go back for 3 years and work there and retire from there in order to get health insurance from them.

• Like 1

I say the earlier you go to the meeting, the better.  My dh just retired (to work elsewhere!) months shy of year 25 in education, and we met with a retirement rep in-person the year before.  It was very helpful and helped him be decisive when he did decide to do it. 

• Like 2

UGH, I am watching the webinar but they glossed over health benefits and I asked in the chat and they said it is person specific so I need to call and speak to someone independently.

The rest of this stuff I am pretty aware of and am married to a finance guy, so I am not worried about the actual amount I will bring home, I am pretty clear on that and there is a calculator on their retirement site to figure that out.

Sometimes I muse about how early I could have retired (theoretically) had I stuck with a teaching career.  Ah well....

I have a retirement planning meeting coming up too....

I have mixed feelings about being in the geriatric group.  I might be interested in doing those subsidized Life Line screenings.  I wouldn't be opposed to senior discounts (though they don't start as early as they used to).  But I am not liking some of the physical stuff, and it makes me wonder what I'll still be able to do in 10, 20, 30 years....

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SKL said:

Sometimes I muse about how early I could have retired (theoretically) had I stuck with a teaching career.  Ah well....

I have a retirement planning meeting coming up too....

I have mixed feelings about being in the geriatric group.  I might be interested in doing those subsidized Life Line screenings.  I wouldn't be opposed to senior discounts (though they don't start as early as they used to).  But I am not liking some of the physical stuff, and it makes me wonder what I'll still be able to do in 10, 20, 30 years....

Yeah, I missed 10 years in there to stay at home, AND moved states, so it is frustrating.

I should probably talk to someone when the opportunity arises, just to try to time it all as smartly as possible. But anything from me is all bonus--we were not expecting that I would be able to work again (thought I would be caring for dd forever). I started teaching in CA in 1989 and my roommate and I taught in the same district. I left after 4 years, she stayed. She's just a few years away from a very generous retirement. But she desperately wants to be able to live somewhere else but can't until she can retire, so it does have costs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I should probably talk to someone when the opportunity arises, just to try to time it all as smartly as possible. But anything from me is all bonus--we were not expecting that I would be able to work again (thought I would be caring for dd forever). I started teaching in CA in 1989 and my roommate and I taught in the same district. I left after 4 years, she stayed. She's just a few years away from a very generous retirement. But she desperately wants to be able to live somewhere else but can't until she can retire, so it does have costs.

I started teaching the same year and in the same state.   But I stayed 17 years.   I wish I had just stayed OR that I had started working here, but I can't change that I have gaps or that I moved, so it is what it is.

• Like 1