Menu

July gardens, tell me what is up with yours.

Faith-manor

I’m not ending the month on a great note. In my desire to keep plants watered during the high temps, I overdid. It. The vinca and sunpatiens developed a fungus. I had to take about four plants out altogether and severely prune all of the others (I have 24 vinca and 12 sunpatiens in this area). I’m not sure pruning the diseased parts off  will do the trick, but I wanted to try that before I  pull all of them up. At this point, it isn’t going to hurt anything.

Thinking back it’s odd that I did that. I chose the vinca partly because it doesn’t have to be watered much. Oh well - live & learn. Maybe they will fill out and bloom some more.  We shall see.

I started fantasizing about ordering replacements directly from one of the suppliers as the garden centers don’t have many summer annuals at this point. I’m not sure I want my pocketbook to foot the bill for that, though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My garden is still garbage.

I’ve harvested 2 tomatoes, a banana pepper, a few radishes, 1 decent strawberry, and some chives.

I do have a yellow and a green zucchini coming in, and a few cukes look promising.

250sf+, and it’s just sad. I need to work on a good game plan for next year.

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

My garden is still garbage.

I’ve harvested 2 tomatoes, a banana pepper, a few radishes, 1 decent strawberry, and some chives.

I do have a yellow and a green zucchini coming in, and a few cukes look promising.

250sf+, and it’s just sad. I need to work on a good game plan for next year.

I am so sorry Carrie!

I've spent the weekend planning my fall vegetable garden and watching Florida gardening YouTubers. I have an abundance of basil so I made pesto last night for a shrimp linguine pesto dish (the recipe uses tagliatelle but I couldn't find any). There's still a lot of basil on the plant so I might just make more pesto and freeze it. 

My native plants are doing fine. I need to split some and plant the new ones elsewhere.

I'll be starting seeds indoors this coming week - it's too hot to leave them outside. So far I'll start some tomatoes and possibly beans. I might wait a week or two for the beans. I also ordered a bunch of seeds for both warm and cool season crops. 

• Like 5

End of month: the cherry tomatoes that I got were delicious. But it’s been in the 90’s so long and evidently tomatoes don’t ripen when it gets that hot. At least that;s what’s being said around my parts. Lots of tomatoes, few getting ripe. Tons more blooms so I have hope but August in Georgia isn’t going to be cooler. 
Green beans were a flop. Maybe a handful between 15 plants. 
Bummer of a summer vegetable wise, that’s for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

End of month: the cherry tomatoes that I got were delicious. But it’s been in the 90’s so long and evidently tomatoes don’t ripen when it gets that hot. At least that;s what’s being said around my parts. Lots of tomatoes, few getting ripe. Tons more blooms so I have hope but August in Georgia isn’t going to be cooler. 
Green beans were a flop. Maybe a handful between 15 plants. 
Bummer of a summer vegetable wise, that’s for sure. 

The Millennial Gardener channel on YT just posted a video on ripening tomatoes. I thick he is in Ga. One of the tips was to cut off all blooms that you know won't make fruit, as well as small fruit. The point is to have the plant put all its energy into ripening the fruit it has already set. He had 5 different tips.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Halftime Hope said:

The Millennial Gardener channel on YT just posted a video on ripening tomatoes. I thick he is in Ga. One of the tips was to cut off all blooms that you know won't make fruit, as well as small fruit. The point is to have the plant put all its energy into ripening the fruit it has already set. He had 5 different tips.

I should probably do that. But man, it kills me to do thing like thin carrots and scallions after they germinate, taking off blossoms and small fruit might ruin my mental! 😁

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've spent the weekend planning my fall vegetable garden and watching Florida gardening YouTubers. I have an abundance of basil so I made pesto last night for a shrimp linguine pesto dish (the recipe uses tagliatelle but I couldn't find any). There's still a lot of basil on the plant so I might just make more pesto and freeze it. 

My native plants are doing fine. I need to split some and plant the new ones elsewhere.

I'll be starting seeds indoors this coming week - it's too hot to leave them outside. So far I'll start some tomatoes and possibly beans. I might wait a week or two for the beans. I also ordered a bunch of seeds for both warm and cool season crops. 

I just finished making seed-starting mix and filling all my 4inch cheapo pots. I can't bring myself to buy some proper seed cells b/c $$$. All this week after dinner I'll work on planting seeds, and then conscript someone to water them while I go see our new grand-baby next week. I spent the early afternoon digging up the grow-bags that have sat fallow and (shamefully) unwatered. (So much for soil/microbial health -- I'm sure they are sterile given our heat.)

• Like 2