Menu

"may not read" to college ready - just a praise/update/share

Many moons ago, you guys directed me to Barton for my severe dyslexic. At the time, he was around 11, had been dx'ed at age 7 and we were told then he may never read. 

We cobbled along with what OG programs we could find (we were living in Brazil then), and came back to TX, and had him eval'ed for autism (nope), and by that point we'd gotten him to a 2nd grade reading level. That evaluator, in consulting with a colleague, said his was the worst case of dyslexia she/they had ever seen in someone that age. 

Discouraged (b/c we'd been so happy he was finally *reading* at all), I came here, and you all very emphatically said -- BARTON! Message heard, we dove in, and within 2 yrs of that, he was reading more or less on grade level. A year or two after that, he was reading things *for fun.* On his own. Holy cow. 

Anyway, here we are, he's heading into his senior year, and to do a dual enrollment/dual credit class at the local community college, had to take their entrance/college readiness exam.  He did that today. 

College ready in all areas. 

College ready in all areas.  

I am having trouble letting it sink in, and just wanted to share with folks who get it.  How far he's come from "really, you should be prepared that he may never learn to read at all...." 

College.Ready.In.All.Areas.  Thank you, Susan Barton. 

• Like 29

I'm so amazingly happy for you. I vaguely remember the start of your story, because it's so hard to be on the other end of these screens seeing people come in with extreme situations that they have to move heaven and earth seemingly to change. I love that you made it happen and pushed and got evals and that it came together so beautifully for him. 

You know this, but if he's doing DE work, you want to update his evals and teach him to use accommodations. Limited distraction testing environment, keyboard for notes, extended time, anything that allows him to show who he is is AWESOME. You might also take advantage of any career testing the college offers. 

I hope he continues to find his niche in the world and blossom!! Good job!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I'm so amazingly happy for you. I vaguely remember the start of your story, because it's so hard to be on the other end of these screens seeing people come in with extreme situations that they have to move heaven and earth seemingly to change. I love that you made it happen and pushed and got evals and that it came together so beautifully for him. 

You know this, but if he's doing DE work, you want to update his evals and teach him to use accommodations. Limited distraction testing environment, keyboard for notes, extended time, anything that allows him to show who he is is AWESOME. You might also take advantage of any career testing the college offers. 

I hope he continues to find his niche in the world and blossom!! Good job!!!

Thank you; yes, we're looking into all of that. You were one who pushed me towards Barton, and talked me through some of the other stuff way back when. I'm so glad you saw this! 

He is doing phenomenally well - he's creating video games and things, and just in general excelling. He has worked so very hard, and it's paid/paying off. 

• Like 3

Not to take over, but my youngest kid, who had a similar "may not ever be functionally literate" diagnosis from a neuropsych at seven and a "please don't ever send her to public school" conversation from a school psychologist, scored a 36 on the reading section of the ACT and is an A student in AP classes at public high school.  

Her math scores are "maybe not quite college ready," but we were not ever really able to remediate her working memory challenges and she is not really capable of memoizing formulas, which makes the ACT math section much trickier.  I think she'll make it even in math.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Terabith said:

I think she'll make it even in math.

And the important thing is she'll be a nice person who cares about cats! 😁

You gotta love how wrong these psychs can be. I think it shows the trajectory if they were left to standard, not what could be with imagination.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 3

On 6/29/2023 at 8:29 PM, Terabith said:

Not to take over, but my youngest kid, who had a similar "may not ever be functionally literate" diagnosis from a neuropsych at seven and a "please don't ever send her to public school" conversation from a school psychologist, scored a 36 on the reading section of the ACT and is an A student in AP classes at public high school.  

Her math scores are "maybe not quite college ready," but we were not ever really able to remediate her working memory challenges and she is not really capable of memoizing formulas, which makes the ACT math section much trickier.  I think she'll make it even in math.

Not taking over at all! I'm glad you shared that! Yes, I'm sure she'll be fine even in math! These kids are remarkable!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...