Menu

June craft thread

Oh, and I agree about having something to support the quilt!!!! At one point I actually used cardboard and some random books and such to make an elevated surface to match the height of the sewing machine, and then added another rolling tray table thing to my left to support the quilt as well. 

On 6/4/2023 at 11:24 AM, Mona said:

I finished piecing a couple quilt tops and prepared backings, but haven't quilted or put bindings on yet, so no pictures yet.

I finished piecing this wallhanging today and wanted to share it. I love this fabric! Fall is my favorite season. 

20230604_112015.jpg

I love it! 

On 6/6/2023 at 9:06 PM, Mona said:

I made a log cabin block with the left over fabric and my signature in the center for my label and pieced it in a backing for my Harvest Wishes quilt. I also made the binding.

I’m participating in two quilt alongs, so I prepared the fabric for block 1 of the Sweet Acres Meadowlands quilt.

Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts is doing a mystery quilt along and tomorrow is the release for the blocks for week 2. The quilt along is free, but you won’t know what the finished project will look like. You can use your stash to join in. She did say that along the way there will be a bit of appliqué which I don’t usually do, but this is a skill building project, so I will try. She also does a video with each release. The videos will remain but the directions for the pattern will come down and available for purchase later on. You can download the blog directions as PDFs for now to use later if you want to try it. https://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/blog

There are 2 posts up so far; one is the fabric and supplies needed to make the quilt and the other is for week one.

I'm going to check this out...like I need more projects, lol. 

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2023 at 5:33 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

spent too many hours today trying to machine quilt the  queen sized scrap strip quilt . I think maybe it was so hard going  because the strips were sewn onto foundations squares. Maybe I shouldn't have put in wadding??  I don't know, but my neck and arm are aching . It seemed like really hard work.  Just have the binding to go. 

This is what I did before I had a drop in table where the machine was flush with the table - I used cardboard taped together (foam board would be even better) and piles of books to put the cardboard at the same height as the sewing surface of the sewing machine. Then I put a folding TV tray type table directly to the left of my chair, and that helps tremendously. Basically, anything you can do to reduce gravity pulling the quilt down. 

And yes yes yes to the gloves. I will NOT machine quilt without them now. And with my sensory issues I don't like wearing gloves, but they make it SO much better. You can use a very light touch to move the fabric, due to the grippy surface, rather than pressing harder. 

Between using tables/ironing board/whatever you can find to support the weight of the quilt and using gloves, it really reduces the fatigue on the body. 

Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 9.31.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 9.32.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 9.32.25 PM.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

This is what I did before I had a drop in table where the machine was flush with the table - I used cardboard taped together (foam board would be even better) and piles of books to put the cardboard at the same height as the sewing surface of the sewing machine. Then I put a folding TV tray type table directly to the left of my chair, and that helps tremendously. Basically, anything you can do to reduce gravity pulling the quilt down. 

And yes yes yes to the gloves. I will NOT machine quilt without them now. And with my sensory issues I don't like wearing gloves, but they make it SO much better. You can use a very light touch to move the fabric, due to the grippy surface, rather than pressing harder. 

Between using tables/ironing board/whatever you can find to support the weight of the quilt and using gloves, it really reduces the fatigue on the body. 

Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 9.31.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 9.32.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 9.32.25 PM.png

thanks for the ideas,

The treadle sewing machine I use by nature of being a treadle is built into a table so there is some support 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

thanks for the ideas,

The treadle sewing machine I use by nature of being a treadle is built into a table so there is some support 

That makes sense. I'd look then at moving some kind of table/support next to it on the left, and also something small perpendicular to it, on your left. Having support right next to you is probably more important than anything. Just anything you can put there, many people use an ironing board, tv table, folding table, set of drawers on wheels, stack of boxes, etc. It really makes a very big difference. I have a mid arm on a frame now for quilting, but I still drag out the TV tray to put next to me when I'm sewing the binding on my quilts at the regular sewing machine. 

And for the gloves, a pair of cheap gardening gloves that have rubber grippy on the fingers will work as well as quilting gloves. I paid a bit extra for quilting gloves only because I get hot, and the ones I got are very thin and breathable everywhere but the finger tips, where the grippy stuff is. They were $10 on amazon and worth every penny since they are more flexible and less hot than the garden gloves I got. https://amzn.to/3XfeNZZ

Maybe that brand is available near you? 

I will say, some quilters like the opposite of me, they like grip on the rest of the hand, and cut the tips of the index fingers and thumb off. To me that seemed smart, so you had dexterity for say, changing a needle, but in reality was useless as I use mostly my index finger and thumb when moving the fabric around. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the tips

I don't think I will do another queen size for a while. 

I just have 3 single bed size  to complete, almost there, 2 are quilt as I go and the other is up to the quilting stage. then I will  declare myself reduced in saved scraps enough to go back to making garments. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 3

Another Cozy Blue embroidery project awaits piecing for a future throw pillow.  I also stitched a simple shirt from double gauze, a wonderfully cool fabric for the heat of summer.  It's ornamented with a touch of embroidery that isn't showing up too well in the photo.

June embroidery.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Does it count that I used some twine and sticks to make a lattice/support for one of my cucumber plants?

Yep! It's all creative!

I finally finished this knit, beaded necklace yesterday. I did all the fun parts and then it languished for a couple of weeks waiting for the clasp.

PXL_20230625_155059248.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Found it!   It's a SAL (stitch-a-long) by Sapphire Mountain Handcraft. Unfortunately, it's no longer available because the designer had permission from the CS Lewis Estate to sell just so many.  I will update as I make progress. 

IMG_5709.jpeg

Edited by Kidlit
she to THE
  • Like 10

33 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

Found it!   It's a SAL (stitch-a-long) by Sapphire Mountain Handcraft. Unfortunately, it's no longer available because the designer had permission from the CS Lewis Estate to sell just so many.  I will update as I make progress. 

IMG_5709.jpeg

Thank you for finding & posting! 

it is gorgeous! Great work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1