Menu

June craft thread

First let me thank @Melissa in Australia for starting these monthly threads.  Thanks also to everyone in the craft community who welcomed this long time lurker.

In the May thread, I posted a photo of an embroidery piece that I had started.  It's now finished.  I pieced it with some remnants of a cotton/linen fabric I had on hand, then went into my stash to find a piece of home decor fabric that I bought ages ago at a charity shop. Yesterday I made some piping from that fabric and cut the back.  Now I need to dig through the zipper stash (mostly from charity shops or yard sales) before I can assemble the pieces of what will be a throw pillow.

I started another embroidery piece last night and need to knit some swatches for a Fair Isle knitting project that I am envisioning.

About the embroidery piece: It contains at least a hundred French knots.  I formerly dreaded French knots. Practice may not make perfect but at least it brought me to a comfort zone. With that in mind, I think I'll try to get more comfortable with Satin stitches.

Garden pillow.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

spent too many hours today trying to machine quilt the  queen sized scrap strip quilt . I think maybe it was so hard going  because the strips were sewn onto foundations squares. Maybe I shouldn't have put in wadding??  I don't know, but my neck and arm are aching . It seemed like really hard work.  Just have the binding to go. 

• Sad 3

On 5/31/2023 at 11:11 AM, Mona said:

B2539FB6-84A7-41CE-9916-BC8010C51E2D.jpeg

The siren song of the fabric store bolt end sale lured me in.  I bought some lovely lawn, a piece of Essex linen/cotton and a Riley Blake Liberty print.

I feel like I'm in the "use two pieces of fabric, buy three more" phase of life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

spent too many hours today trying to machine quilt the  queen sized scrap strip quilt . I think maybe it was so hard going  because the strips were sewn onto foundations squares. Maybe I shouldn't have put in wadding??  I don't know, but my neck and arm are aching . It seemed like really hard work.  Just have the binding to go. 

Do you have “quilting gloves” or yard work gloves with grips on the palm side? I saw a video of a lady wearing the gloves to put binding on her quilt, and I thought that would help so much with maneuvering the fabric and lessen the struggle. I have a pair I never use, and I think I will for now on. 

Edited by Mona
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mona said:

Do you have “quilting gloves” or yard work gloves with grips on the palm side? I saw a video of a lady wearing the gloves to put binding on her quilt, and I thought that would help so much with maneuvering the fabric and lessen the struggle. I have a pair I never use, and I think I will for now on. 

I have never heard of them  used for sewing before. 

I use my old treadle sewing machine.

I am new to machine quilting

• Like 1

Not a quilter but I'm having a hard time envisioning maneuvering fabric with gloves on! For me, much of the sewing process is tactile. Would that be lost with gloves? Granted, I have only dealt with binding on a small basis, i.e. potholders.

• Like 2

I finished piecing a couple quilt tops and prepared backings, but haven't quilted or put bindings on yet, so no pictures yet.

I finished piecing this wallhanging today and wanted to share it. I love this fabric! Fall is my favorite season. 

20230604_112015.jpg

Edited by Mona
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I am meant to be on sort of light duties , so have been doing a LOT of sewing. still trying to reduce my scrap baskets. I have managed to get it down to 1 large basket. yay!

currently making 2 large lap sized patchwork quilts, and 3 single bed sized.  all cut out and in various stages of construction

I haven't done anything more with my moth quilt and have come to a bit of a standstill with the Victorian crazy quilt. I am thinking what I could put it on  to sort of make it stiffer for a wall hanging. I might buy some sort of canvas fabric  

• Like 4

On 6/4/2023 at 11:24 AM, Mona said:

I finished piecing a couple quilt tops and prepared backings, but haven't quilted or put bindings on yet, so no pictures yet.

I finished piecing this wallhanging today and wanted to share it. I love this fabric! Fall is my favorite season. 

20230604_112015.jpg

This is really cute and festive!

• Like 2

Things seem quiet on this thread.  Maybe everyone is busy in their gardens?

I finished assembling the pillow (parts above) and am very happy with the result.  But I won't bore you with the play by play.

I ordered two lumbar support pillows, one for a friend and one for myself.  I've stitched up some covers for those.

Knitting is really my thing but I'm having a hard time jumping into a new project.  So it goes.

• Like 3

I made a log cabin block with the left over fabric and my signature in the center for my label and pieced it in a backing for my Harvest Wishes quilt. I also made the binding.

I’m participating in two quilt alongs, so I prepared the fabric for block 1 of the Sweet Acres Meadowlands quilt.

Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts is doing a mystery quilt along and tomorrow is the release for the blocks for week 2. The quilt along is free, but you won’t know what the finished project will look like. You can use your stash to join in. She did say that along the way there will be a bit of appliqué which I don’t usually do, but this is a skill building project, so I will try. She also does a video with each release. The videos will remain but the directions for the pattern will come down and available for purchase later on. You can download the blog directions as PDFs for now to use later if you want to try it. https://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/blog

There are 2 posts up so far; one is the fabric and supplies needed to make the quilt and the other is for week one.

Edited by Mona
  • Like 6

On 5/31/2023 at 10:03 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I just finished the clown quilt for my grandson. 

He will shortly be moving into a single bed to free up the cot for a new sibling

16855849016851102490956600931784.jpg

That is lovely but wasn’t he just born?  I feel like you told us a lyr his arrival last week!  Anyway congratulations! 

I must be getting old, this is an old person thing to complain about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posting quickly before I forget, will come back to ooh and ahh over everyone's stuff later 🙂

This is a wall hanging for our front room, hangs on the wall behind the dining table -I'm trying to have something for each season or holiday. This was a panel I loved - and I have a wreath on my front door with lemons and blue flowers, so it goes well. First thing I've done that I've ENJOYED the long arm/midarm, the custom quilting was fun. Way more fun than ruler work! I was ready to try to sell it and get a sit down machine, but this project might have helped me turn the corner to enjoying it more than being frustrated by it, lol. 

I do wish, in retrospect, I'd used the quilting to highlight the lemons, and work with the panel, rather than just quilting some flowering type freestyle stuff across the panel. But I was frazzled after the trip to my mom's house and just wanted it done and didn't take the time to think it through clearly. 

Now I am working on a quick throw quilt for the couch using a pack of 10 fat quarters in various blue prints, and then DH wants me to make a quilt for his friend who is donating a portion of his liver to his (the friend's) father. He wants it to be green lanterned themed, but the local store had no fabric like that so I got him the cotton you can print on with an ink ject printer, and we will see how that works. If it does, I'll use that plus cut fabric in coordinating colors to make something. He's like, "something easy" and I'm like, "Easy is making a quick jelly roll race with fabric I already have.....not a custom thing out of fabric panels you havent' made yet" but whatever....good cause and all that! It will be interesting to try!

image.thumb.png.88b162ed05bea14d550b7c4f3ee2e610.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Posting quickly before I forget, will come back to ooh and ahh over everyone's stuff later 🙂

This is a wall hanging for our front room, hangs on the wall behind the dining table -I'm trying to have something for each season or holiday. This was a panel I loved - and I have a wreath on my front door with lemons and blue flowers, so it goes well. First thing I've done that I've ENJOYED the long arm/midarm, the custom quilting was fun. Way more fun than ruler work! I was ready to try to sell it and get a sit down machine, but this project might have helped me turn the corner to enjoying it more than being frustrated by it, lol. 

I do wish, in retrospect, I'd used the quilting to highlight the lemons, and work with the panel, rather than just quilting some flowering type freestyle stuff across the panel. But I was frazzled after the trip to my mom's house and just wanted it done and didn't take the time to think it through clearly. 

Now I am working on a quick throw quilt for the couch using a pack of 10 fat quarters in various blue prints, and then DH wants me to make a quilt for his friend who is donating a portion of his liver to his (the friend's) father. He wants it to be green lanterned themed, but the local store had no fabric like that so I got him the cotton you can print on with an ink ject printer, and we will see how that works. If it does, I'll use that plus cut fabric in coordinating colors to make something. He's like, "something easy" and I'm like, "Easy is making a quick jelly roll race with fabric I already have.....not a custom thing out of fabric panels you havent' made yet" but whatever....good cause and all that! It will be interesting to try!

Amazing! 👏 I don’t know how you managed to whip up another quilt so fast. The quilting looks great. 

BTW, check Etsy for Green Lantern fabric if you have time to wait for mail order.

Edited by Mona
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mona said:

Amazing! 👏 I don’t know how you managed to whip up another quilt so fast. The quilting looks great. 

BTW, check Etsy for Green Lantern fabric if you have time to wait for mail order.

Now we are all off to look at Green Lantern fabric.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mona said:

Thanks. If you could see how messy my house is, you'd know how I manage, lol. 

DH said he didn't want to order fabric and wait for it, so we shall see what he comes up with!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Awesome sauce!

I haven't had anything to post realy between pulling off a wedding in one week, beginning my work mentoring a university rocket team (we have to have some summer zoom meetings in order for them to hit the ground running in the fall semester), my own Mach 1 rocket team, and the garden, I have not done much of anything except decorate the table for our anniversary dinner. I would love to get back to sewing. However, it is sailing and kayaking season, so I suspect that outdoor activities are going to take my attention for the foreseeable future.

4 minutes ago, Starr said:

Did you freehand the whole thing?

yes

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

I haven't had anything to post realy between pulling off a wedding in one week, beginning my work mentoring a university rocket team (we have to have some summer zoom meetings in order for them to hit the ground running in the fall semester), my own Mach 1 rocket team, and the garden, I have not done much of anything except decorate the table for our anniversary dinner. I would love to get back to sewing. However, it is sailing and kayaking season, so I suspect that outdoor activities are going to take my attention for the foreseeable future.

Here it is "it is too hot to do anything outside" season....so I see more sewing in my future. 

• Like 2

I visited my parents recently and my mom and I made a casual stop at a quilt store 🙄. Among other things I picked up a pillowcase kit. Now, maybe I read too much into the word "kit", or maybe this is why it was on sale, but to my surprise there were no instructions on the package, just 3 widths of fabric. YouTube to the rescue! I've never made a pillowcase before, but it was easy, fun to make the long burrito shape, and I'm happy with how it turned out! A great project for procrastinating on my trickier project.

IMG_20230610_110759_01.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

yes

Here it is "it is too hot to do anything outside" season....so I see more sewing in my future. 

I wish. My tomatoes and peppers are thinking bad things today. It is only 65F. Thankfully the broccoli, cucumbers, carrots, and peas do not seem to mind.

When I get back to it, I have outfits to make for T, and then matching little cardigans of retro rockets quilt material to make along with corduroy leggings foe their autumn pictures. But they are super easy, so I don't have to start them until August or early September. I also have one thing so want to do soon. I bought a huge quilt panel with a block for all 63 National Parks. I want to cut the blocks apart and frame the block for each of the NPs Mark and I have visited together. I will put the rest away for the future since we have a lot more traveling to do in our future.

• Like 4

@Melissa in Australia -- when quilting a big quilt, do it in fits & bursts. An hour or two at a time, max; it's just very heavy to work through a machine, no matter what. If you are able to set up some way to help support the fabric/quilt while you quilt, that will help -- when I started, I had a tiny patio table and would hold the folded up quilt over my left shoulder while I worked on the quilt. Later, I pulled another table/chair up on the side to help hold it up. 

Also the gloves do help a lot, giving you a grip on the quilt. You don't need the Machingers brand; I have some great ones from the hardware store; anything with grip to it. 

Also, your quilts are all amazing!  And @ktgrok, that wall hanging is incredible!!! Great job on it! 

I am finally finishing up my Monarch quilt for the Cherrywood challenge; I think I first started showing y'all bits of it back in January. I got almost done with the quilting tonight and then the bobbin ran out - here's progress so far. Fifteen of 20 leaves quilted, will finish up tomorrow -- the submission photos are due Thursday the 15th.  (the one photo is before quilting, showing all the butterflies)

IMG_7100.JPG

70820379610__72F68969-64AD-4E89-8C4E-43020BDE3DB3.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I am in awe of the  beautiful quilts! I have a close friend who is ready to teach me any time I’m ready. But  I fall back on what I am good at…clothing, specifically knits.

Currently I am sewing some new tshirts for my sister who is in stage 4 colon cancer struggle. Her weight has gone up and down and currently is  down…I can help her out in this small way. I have 5 shirts cut out and a couple more planned..I am hoping  to get a box off to her next week sometime. 

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 10

56 minutes ago, TheReader said:

@Melissa in Australia -- when quilting a big quilt, do it in fits & bursts. An hour or two at a time, max; it's just very heavy to work through a machine, no matter what. If you are able to set up some way to help support the fabric/quilt while you quilt, that will help -- when I started, I had a tiny patio table and would hold the folded up quilt over my left shoulder while I worked on the quilt. Later, I pulled another table/chair up on the side to help hold it up. 

Also the gloves do help a lot, giving you a grip on the quilt. You don't need the Machingers brand; I have some great ones from the hardware store; anything with grip to it. 

Also, your quilts are all amazing!  And @ktgrok, that wall hanging is incredible!!! Great job on it! 

I am finally finishing up my Monarch quilt for the Cherrywood challenge; I think I first started showing y'all bits of it back in January. I got almost done with the quilting tonight and then the bobbin ran out - here's progress so far. Fifteen of 20 leaves quilted, will finish up tomorrow -- the submission photos are due Thursday the 15th.  (the one photo is before quilting, showing all the butterflies)

IMG_7100.JPG

Magnificent 

Thank you for the advice, greatly appreciated 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KatieJ said:

I am in awe of the  beautiful quilts! I have a close friend who is ready to teach me any time I’m ready. But  I fall back on what I am good at…clothing, specifically knits.

Currently I am sewing some new tshirts for my sister who is in stage 4 colon cancer struggle. Her weight has gone up and down and currently is  down…I can help her out in this small way. I have 5 shirts cut out and a couple more planned..I am hoping  to get a box off to her next week sometime. 

It's so funny, because clothing, and especially knits, seem so crazy difficult to me! It's wonderful though you can make t-shirts for your sister; praying for her cancer. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

I visited my parents recently and my mom and I made a casual stop at a quilt store 🙄. Among other things I picked up a pillowcase kit. Now, maybe I read too much into the word "kit", or maybe this is why it was on sale, but to my surprise there were no instructions on the package, just 3 widths of fabric. YouTube to the rescue! I've never made a pillowcase before, but it was easy, fun to make the long burrito shape, and I'm happy with how it turned out! A great project for procrastinating on my trickier project.

IMG_20230610_110759_01.jpg

For those of you wondering about the "burrito" method, I'll link a 4-H pillowcase tutorial that employs it.  The kids in my old sewing club thought it was magic!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TheReader said:

IMG_7100.JPG

That is so beautiful.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 6:27 PM, Faith-manor said:

I wish. My tomatoes and peppers are thinking bad things today. It is only 65F. Thankfully the broccoli, cucumbers, carrots, and peas do not seem to mind.

When I get back to it, I have outfits to make for T, and then matching little cardigans of retro rockets quilt material to make along with corduroy leggings foe their autumn pictures. But they are super easy, so I don't have to start them until August or early September. I also have one thing so want to do soon. I bought a huge quilt panel with a block for all 63 National Parks. I want to cut the blocks apart and frame the block for each of the NPs Mark and I have visited together. I will put the rest away for the future since we have a lot more traveling to do in our future.

The heat index hit 103 the other day here! Today was cooler, but it was thunderstorms all day. 

I love the national park block idea!

On 6/12/2023 at 9:42 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

16866205245774565994130590893050.jpg

I want to make one like this! It is on my "want to to do" list. I have tons of scraps at the ready!

On 6/12/2023 at 10:39 PM, TheReader said:

IMG_7100.JPG

Oh my, that turned out gorgeus!!!!!

On 6/13/2023 at 8:18 AM, TheReader said:

It's so funny, because clothing, and especially knits, seem so crazy difficult to me! It's wonderful though you can make t-shirts for your sister; praying for her cancer. 

Same!!! Straight lines, cotton, quilting seems so much easier. Plus the instructions are easier to understand. 

53 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

16870471913354059724224377734531.jpg

ooh! I did one thing with triangles and spent the afternoon cursing them. I don't know if I'm brave enough to do that many - and I know I couldn't make it look that awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1