Menu

Looking for the perfect summertime pants

Kidlit

First caveat: I don't love pants but for the travel we'll be doing next month, I need them.  The reason I don't love them is that I am long-waisted and have unfortunately developed a nice middle aged paunch.   I also have wide hips and carry weight in my legs.  Pants that are too short in the inseam make me feel like I'm being eaten alive by angry piranhas.  Basically, I'm trying to find something that doesn't make me look like I'm 75 (I'm not yet 50) and also doesn't cause me pain. 

second caveat: they need to be something I can wear to work due to budget restrictions.  (I don't need any clothing I only wear for one event/occasion.) I am a librarian with a fairly casual work atmosphere (I.e. nice jeans are okay), but I do like to look professional. 

I prefer natural fibers like linen or cotton.  I have owned many linen pants over the years, and I am willing to pay for them.  However, I do feel that the silhouette of many linen pants only adds to my frame instead of minimizing what's maximum on me. 🤣.  Also, with regards to travel, something that doesn't get quite so wrinkly would be better, so I'm not ruling out other fabrics. 

Any ideas or suggestions? 😄

3 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

Old Navy has some nice wide leg, elastic waist linen blend pants that have been running $12. Edit... hit enter too soon. Idk what shape you are looking for but I have short legs and prefer straight cuts and love these.

I do like straight cut and even love the look generally of wide leg pants but that was what I was alluding to when I said that some cuts maximize what's maximum on me.  The most flattering linen-blend pants I've ever had were St John's Bay brand from JC Penney.  They had an elasticized and drawstring waist and were straight but with the slightest taper toward the hem.  I wore them out.  I wish I could find some that fit like those!

5 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

I discovered salwar pants last year after surgery. They are awesome! Indian women know how to dress for the heat. Look for a nice cotton weave, not knitted. I got these from Amazon last year.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012AWNJTE?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

As soon as it gets hot, I am going to live in these. So comfy and cool!

Ooh! Thank you! Can you explain how you decided what size?  I haven't thoroughly read the description, but from the pictures, it almost looks like a maternity panel at the waist. 
also, what did you wear over the pants on top? 

• Like 1

I'm about a size 8, and chose medium, and they were fine. I imagine they'd also be good for the next size up. In India, they usually wear a tunic sort of thing with them. You can google salwar pants and have a look at the images that come up. I had a drain to deal with, so I needed something baggy so I could deal with that. I picked up a few of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088YQV9JT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA: I think I remember clothing for sale at the Indian grocery last time I went there. I'm thinking of stopping by to see if they have some cool-looking tunics.

Edited by knitgrl
  • Thanks 1

My perfect summer pants are the Vista Camp pants from LL Bean:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86735?page=vista-camp-pants&bc=&feat=vista camp pant womens-SR0&csp=a&searchTerm=vista camp pant womens&pos=3

They are the comfiest, most lightweight pants ever, and great for keeping cool in the heat. I'm 5'11 and the regular inseam (31") fits me just right, but they also have a longer inseam option (33"). They run a bit large in my experience, so I would advise sizing down. I wear a size 6 or 8 and started out ordering a medium, but then went to a small.

I've also gotten a few pairs of pants from Title Nine that I really like - these joggers (which might be too casual for what you're looking for):

https://www.titlenine.com/p/prana-clothing-womens-joggers-pants-egress/215245.html

and their Duer jeans are expensive, but so well made and comfy, and I like that you order by waist size:

https://www.titlenine.com/p/womens-straight-leg-jeans-duer-performance/210205.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4kidlets4me said:

Athleta has a bunch of really nice linen pants both wide legged and not.

These are joggers

These are straight and look a little cropped

These are wide leg but they don't look super wide

I love their Brooklyn pants. I have them in many styles and cuts and love them all. They are super flattering, don't wrinkle, and they have real pockets!

Of the Brooklyns, which is your favorite style?