Menu

Let’s share favorite granola recipes…

Ann.without.an.e

3 minutes ago, alysee said:

When I clicked on the thread I was excited to give my granola recipe. Turns out you already posted it! My kids favourite Granola is also this one. We usually add flax to it as well.

https://joyfoodsunshine.com/healthy-peanut-butter-granola/

That looks great! I wonder if almond butter would sub ok. DH can’t do peanuts. 

I go through periods of making granola on a regular basis. I found this recipe from a cookbook that was published in the early 70's. When my bil got married, I made a cookbook for them of a bunch of recipes I used on a regular basis. I included the granola recipe's instructions as it was originally written, and added my own commentary in italics.

Granola

This is the other recipe I use from my hippie cookbook. It makes A Lot of granola. I put it in a glass gallon jar and have found it keeps well.

Basic:

4 cups oat flakes (rolled oats)

2 cups rye flakes

2 cups wheat flakes

1 cup soy flakes

(If you can find wheat, rye or soy flakes, good for you! I generally use 4 cups of old fashioned oatmeal, a cup or two of wheat bran and maybe ½-1 cup of wheat germ and call it good. Or use more oatmeal.)

The more the better:

1 cup sesame seeds (popped if you want to go to the trouble; I don't.)

1 cup pumpkin seeds, see above

1 cup sunflower seeds

2-3 cups nuts, coarsely chopped (walnuts, almonds, cashews, peanuts)

2 cups dried coconut

1 cup dried milk powder

Dressing:

¾ cup honey or maple syrup

½ cup sesame or peanut oil

½ cup water

1 t pure vanilla extract

½-1 lb dried fruits (raisins, currants, chopped dates, whatever.)

Mix together all the dry ingredients in the biggest bowl you have. (Your bread bowl is perfect.) Warm the ingredients of the dressing together in a pot to blend them. Pour the dressing over the grain and seed mixture, and stir it in with a big wooden spoon. Oil shallow baking pans lightly. Scoop granola into them, and smooth the top so nothing will stick up and burn. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes in a 300º F oven, stirring every 15 minutes so the granola doesn't burn on the bottom. You can bake it a longer or a shorter time to vary the crunch. (I usually do about an hour.) The minute granola comes out of the oven, mix in dried fruits. Never bake them in the oven with the flake-seed mixture or they will burn. When it's cooked, store granola in a tightly closed glass jar, with a vanilla bean if you have one.

Variations:After you've made this granola once, don't follow this recipe. Mix together any flakes, seeds, and nuts you like. Try adding a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg to the dressing.

• Like 1

I use the Cookie and Kate recipe too. I aim for mine to be half oats/ carbs and half fats (combo of nuts, seeds, cocoa nibs). I reduce the oil and sweetener down to 1/3 or 1/4 cup. I just made it today with 1/4 cup. I include raisins in my carb ratio but I add them after cooking. I also have quinoa flakes I sometimes use. For the fats I like hemp seeds, cocoa nibs, pepitas, unsweetened coconut, slivered or sliced almonds, chopped pecans, chopped walnuts, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds. 

Today I used pepitas, unsweetened coconut, pecans, slivered almonds, cocoa nibs and oats. I should have added in walnuts too but I forgot I had them.

It doesn't clump together as much with less oil and sweetener but it works just fine. Sometimes I just keep it raw with no oil or sweetener and eat it as muesli. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Soror said:

It doesn't clump together as much with less oil and sweetener but it works just fine. Sometimes I just keep it raw with no oil or sweetener and eat it as muesli. 

Wow! So *that's* the difference between granola and muesli!

• Like 1

Oats, chopped almonds, chia and flax seeds, coconut chips, cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla, a little salt. I used to use oil to help it all stick together but have been trying to use less oil. So last time I made it, I mixed in about a quart of pumpkin puree (from our homegrown pumpkins! 🙂 ) AAnd it worked well... Plus gets a veggie in! 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

Do you use the brown sugar or are you able to skip it and it still be good?

Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.

However, I just noticed that the copied recipe calls for 1/4 tsp of table salt, whereas the original recipe says 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.  The salt is key!  Use 1 tsp of kosher salt.

• Like 2

We go through 6 batches of the Cookie and Kate recipe a week so i have been trying to figure out a way to make larger batches easier. Any ideas?

We did a lot of searching to find how to get the ingredients the cheapest and Winco has been our best bet for oats and slivered almonds 🙂 honey is difficult in bulk because it crystallizes so quickly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

We go through 6 batches of the Cookie and Kate recipe a week so i have been trying to figure out a way to make larger batches easier. Any ideas?

We did a lot of searching to find how to get the ingredients the cheapest and Winco has been our best bet for oats and slivered almonds 🙂 honey is difficult in bulk because it crystallizes so quickly.

Do you use the Cookie sheets that fit 2 to a rack? 

To use crystallized honey just heat it in a sauce pan. It takes just a bit of heat to get it liquid again.

Edited by Soror