Menu

math movie?

My DS17 has been helping out with a 7th grade math class and would like to show a fun math-related movie or TV show on the last day of class.  Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land seems too young.  Any suggestions?   I think they have about 45 minutes.

Edited by JennyD

Seconding Miss Tick.  The only other "math movie" I saw was "The Mean Policeman" which was about the mean value theorem in AP Calculus class.  A man tries to argue with the policeman who gives him a speeding ticket on a turnpike because the time and distance between two toll booths shows an average speed over the speed limit.  The "mean" policeman patiently explains the theorem three times.  Not at all useful for grade 7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of math YouTube channels that might have something.  Most of 3blue1brown is probably above a 7th grade level (and Grant's voice is so relaxing, it might make the students sleepy...LOL).  But I think there's plenty of content at Vi Hart, Stand Up Maths, or Numberphile.  Veratasium has some math related videos too. 

Stand Up Maths has some that are 30ish minutes long, so they would take up most of the time, possibly followed by a discussion or activity.  We all really liked the Jigsaw Puzzle one: 

He also has several about various ways to calculate Pi. 

On numberphile,  my kids are obsessed with the Klein Bottle videos: 

And I like the Sequences guy:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...