Menu

How long does an allergic reaction (throat) last?

Kanin

I might have had an allergic reaction at work today. I ate some candies that were in the staff room (Skittles, Cadbury mini-eggs), and a few minutes later, I felt like I'd swallowed something wrong and needed to cough - you know, the kind of cough when you can't stop yourself from coughing. This kept up for quite a while - maybe 20 minutes? - and none of the usual tricks worked, like drinking water, eating something etc. Then my throat started to feel scratchy, and it's felt scratchy ever since. 

Does this sound like an allergic reaction? I've suspected a sensitivity to food dyes after feeling flushed and itchy (face) after eating Christmas candy with food dyes. If it's an allergy, it's a recent one because I've eaten candy like that forever. 

Would my throat still feel scratchy and a bit sore like 6 hours after eating the candy, if it's an allergic reaction? If not, maybe I'm just getting sick...

Have you taken any benadryl? 

I would asap if you think you're having an allergic reaction.   If it gets worse, call your dr.

I had an allergic reaction to eugenol - an ingredient in otc temporary dental cement.  Major holiday weekend...  I was downing benadryl like mad so I could breathe...(I also improvised something in place of the dental cement. )

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I don't have Benadryl, but I have a generic. It also contains food dyes, though... @gardenmom5what to do?

They make a dye free version, IIRC.

You can also take any antihistamine, even an H2 blocker like Pepcid. Benedryl is just more direct. 

I have had weird reactions like what you describe, and I ended up with a presumed mast cell diagnosis, though I don't trip any of the standard tests (but they can't really test for all the chemicals your body releases when mast cells degranulate). I also suspect that I get muscle spasms in my throat that are easily tripped. Mint can cause a cough like what you described (it's like a combo of mint plus swallowing wrong), and while I am sensitive to it in some ways, I am not allergic. I avoided coconut because it started doing that to me after eating it fine for years. Now I seem to be okay to have it again.

Some textures of food also give me hiccups, which I read somewhere are triggered in the esophagus even though it's the diaphragm that spasms.

I hope you feel better!

Thanks everyone! I'll keep a close eye on it. I took some quercetin and am having some ginger tea (antihistamines). If it's not better in a little while I'll go search for some dye free benadryl. It's been hours since any coughing, so hopefully that's over with.

11 minutes ago, kbutton said:

presumed mast cell diagnosis

I'm sorry you ended up with that diagnosis - no fun!

7 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Thanks everyone! I'll keep a close eye on it. I took some quercetin and am having some ginger tea (antihistamines). If it's not better in a little while I'll go search for some dye free benadryl. It's been hours since any coughing, so hopefully that's over with.

I'm sorry you ended up with that diagnosis - no fun!

Thanks! I mentioned it in case you have this happen again. I am still not sure if my issue is mast cell or some kind of spasm. 

3 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Thanks! I mentioned it in case you have this happen again. I am still not sure if my issue is mast cell or some kind of spasm. 

Thanks. I really appreciate that. I have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks, so maybe I can get some allergy testing. If it happens again, I'll look back on this thread. Thanks!!

• Like 1

I feel fine this morning, so at least I'm not sick. I read a bit about food dyes and allergies, and it seems like only a really small percent of the population is allergic to them, so not sure if it's that or not. The reaction did happen right after eating the candy, though, and it was definitely stronger than anything that's happened in the past, which scared me. I'm going to steer fully clear of anything with dyes for now. I have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks, so I'll bring it up then. 

@Spryte No, no inhaler... I'm going to buy the dye-free Benadryl today. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I feel fine this morning, so at least I'm not sick. I read a bit about food dyes and allergies, and it seems like only a really small percent of the population is allergic to them, so not sure if it's that or not. The reaction did happen right after eating the candy, though, and it was definitely stronger than anything that's happened in the past, which scared me. I'm going to steer fully clear of anything with dyes for now. I have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks, so I'll bring it up then. 

Glad you're feeling better! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kanin said:

So glad you feel better!

My Allergy Kid can’t have food dyes — but even he does not have an anaphylactic type allergy — he has a neurological response that’s scary. The allergist has it on his chart, but also confirmed what you read — that allergy is rare, but can happen. I hope you aren’t one of the few!

What’s in a Cadbury mini egg, though? I’d be more inclined to think of that, and cross contamination, for allergies.

If you can do it, save the wrappers! This really helped us identify DD’s first allergy, to goat cheese. Took about 6 months, and then she had another reaction and we were able to compare ingredients and figure it out.