Menu

Northeastern University London??

gstharr

My senior is only applying to New England schools (+1 west coast).  He got into one of his top 3 via EA, still waiting on RD for the other 2.  He also applied EA to what I thought was Northeastern as his new england safety.  Turns out he actually applied and was accepted to Northeastern U. London, the actual university--not a satellite campus, or year abroad type thing.  Everything, I read about it is very exciting.   My hesitatancy, if he wanted to go that way, is that I cannot find anything on rankings, and outcomes.  He will probably travel alone to new admittee day. Anybody here know anything about it?  Apparently it is a big deal for England to grant a "University" designation.  https://news.northeastern.edu/2022/07/20/uk-university-title/      thanks.

• Like 1

I've lived in London for 10 years, and tbh I've not heard anything about it. New College of the Humanities rings a bell though. The "better" universities in the UK tend to be one of the Russell Group schools, and this isn't one of them. Not to be a horrible snob or anything -- could be good, but I honestly haven't heard about it, and I'm pretty familiar with UK schools.

• Like 1

I know nothing about the school, but I looked at their history major page (really the only area I'm qualified to critique). They have a decent sized department. They've added faculty as late as 2020 (one received her PhD in 2020). The professors have good publication records, so they are actively researching and writing. They only have an undergraduate major for history. 

Depending on what he wants to major, a small university could be a plus. My undergraduate school was small and had limited graduate programs. That meant smaller classes (in most majors), courses taught by professors not TAs, and more accessibility to professors. 

I can see how being in London for school would be a blast. I visited London for the first time last fall for a research trip for my program. I had fun learning the city. 

• Like 1

My information is dated (~20 years old), but at the time I knew of the school, Northeastern had a solid reputation - not top tier but a second tier regional school. It was best known for its internship program. I believe the school at the time was structured to encourage (or require?) every student to complete an internship prior to graduation.  I don’t know if that’s changed since then…

Just now, WTM said:

My information is dated (~20 years old), but at the time I knew of the school, Northeastern had a solid reputation - not top tier but a second tier regional school. It was best known for its internship program. I believe the school at the time was structured to encourage (or require?) every student to complete an internship prior to graduation.  I don’t know if that’s changed since then…

My dh is a Northeastern alum.  It has changed a lot since he went there.  It originally was a kind of take-everyone and flunk out those who couldn't hack it kind of school with a mandatory coop program, so you went 5 years with alternating trimesters of classes and coop.  Known mostly for tech/engineering type majors.  Dh had 3 job offers before graduation, and was able to pay his tuition with his coop paychecks and leave with money leftover.

The coop program is still there but I think has been modified recently (less time? - I wasn't paying close attention); I think they might have semesters instead of trimesters?  and the school is now much, much more selective (acceptance under 20%).  It's also quite pricey and while coop is still paid, it is a drop in the bucket compared to tution (I think Northeastern is one of the priciest schools out there now).  It has a very good reputation around here, but honestly I think it's gotten a bit full of itself.

I have no idea about what's going on in London; that's news to me.  Is it still a tech/coop type of school, or has it gone a different direction?

9 hours ago, WTM said:

Yes, it's changed. 

Thanks all for input. From what I gathered, London might be better regarded than its parent , NE.  The econ/business department is strong, not London Sc Econ strong, but still very solid.  The STEM areas are also very strong.  Anyway, by son nixed any possibility of attending or even doing a post admit visit.  I am starting to suspect that the application was not a a total  accident.  He and his GF applied to roughly the same schools.  I think the realization is starting to sink in that they won't be going to the same college. Miight not even be on the same coast.  But being overseas is too much for him to contemplate. The summer is going to be rough around here.

The school seems ideal for a U.S. student looking to eventually move to and work in Europe.  

I don't think your son accidentally applied to the wrong college. Northeastern University in Boston often offers students admission to one of their other campuses including London or the new Northeastern Oakland (site of the former Mills College), or NUin or Global Scholars. 

Some programs are a complete degree offering only at the remote campus. Others allow the student to shift to the main campus at some point.

Northeastern has captured the attention of a lot of students and has had a 45% increase in applications in the past few years. 

https://news.northeastern.edu/2023/02/02/record-undergrad-applications-fall-2023/?utm_source=NU+linkedin&utm_medium=linkedin&utm_campaign=NU+linkedin

• Like 2