Menu

Lebanese stuffed grape leaves plus other stuff to stuff in leaves.

Drama Llama

A colleague just brought me some delicious Lebanese grape leaves that are stuffed with rice and chickpeas and probably other stuff and are deliciously sour. They have a different flavor profile from the Greek ones I know how to make.  

I gobbled them down and then thought I should have deconstructed one to see what was inside because they were so good.  They were bought at a restaurant so my friend doesn't know other than that the menu said vegetarian or vegan.  

Anyone have a really good chickpea grape leaf recipe?  

Updating this to add the question: If I wanted to expand my understanding of things you can stuff in leaves, what else should I investigate besides dolmas/dolmades/yerba, golubki, and lettuce wraps?

Also are lettuce wraps authentic?  The first recipes I see are "Asian" lettuce wraps, and I am often suspicious of recipes that don't even specify a country. 

Edited by BandH
  • Like 1

We live in a part of our city with many middle eastern immigrants. Dh and I love going to the local hole-in-the-wall restaurants. We often order our basic favorites and enjoy tasting the variations of the same dish. Greek, Syrian, Egyptian, Lebanese, Turkish, Iranian, Iraqi, Saudi, etc. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

The big question in my mind is, did the restaurant use rice or bulghar in the Dolmas?

Lebanese are prone to using either, and it probably the biggest variable.

Could you call and ask?

Bill

I thought dolmas were Turkish.  The internet tells me that Syrians call them "yebra". would Lebanese be more yebra than dolma? I am wondering if googling "yebra" will yield the result I want.   I need chickpeas and not pine nuts due to allergies.

I am pretty sure I would have noticed bulghar, so I think it was rice, but I could be wrong.   I would be happy to try both.  My guess is that if my kids like it as much as I do, I'll try and come up with a pilaf with the same flavors, because rolling them is not a thing to do in the window between work, school and soccer.  I have had dolmades and golabki casseroles.  I don't see why this wouldn't work that way too.  

The restaurant does not have them on their menu other than in a picture of a mezze platter that lists "grape leaves".  It's close to a place I go on the weekends, so I might just pick some up, deconstruct them, and ask what's inside.  

• Like 2

Changing my search to "yebra" has yielded some awesome looking recipes.  I found one with chicken legs (I assume just the meat off them) and pomegranate molasses.  How could that not be delicious?  Also one with apricots.  

Baby Chef gets really into trying various versions of the same recipe and asking people to vote.  Now, I'm thinking we should do that with yebra and dolmades and golabki and some kinda Thai lettuce wrap and . . . 

Edited by BandH
accidentally posted in the middle of a word.
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, BandH said:

I thought dolmas were Turkish.  The internet tells me that Syrians call them "yebra". would Lebanese be more yebra than dolma? I am wondering if googling "yebra" will yield the result I want.   I need chickpeas and not pine nuts due to allergies.

I am pretty sure I would have noticed bulghar, so I think it was rice, but I could be wrong.   I would be happy to try both.  My guess is that if my kids like it as much as I do, I'll try and come up with a pilaf with the same flavors, because rolling them is not a thing to do in the window between work, school and soccer.  I have had dolmades and golabki casseroles.  I don't see why this wouldn't work that way too.  

The restaurant does not have them on their menu other than in a picture of a mezze platter that lists "grape leaves".  It's close to a place I go on the weekends, so I might just pick some up, deconstruct them, and ask what's inside.  

The Arabs of my acquaintance from the Shams region (the Levant) call them "dolmas," which I believe you are correct in thinking is a word of Turkish origin. One of many food items that has crossed cultural/ethnic/national boundaries. There are local terms like Yalanji and Yebra. Same idea, with variations.

For the sourness, many Lebanese home cook and restaurants--believe it or not--use bottled lemon juice. I do not follow this practice myself, but it gives a certain "kick" that is different than fresh lemons. Could be you like that.

Also, there is a spice (a dried ground berry) called "sumac" that has a dark crimson color that is often used  to flavor the doma mix. Sumac has a lemony sourness to it that is quite pleasant.

As to rice, if you can find Egyptian rice (such as Egypt's Best brand) I think it gives the best results. And not overly dear. 

For the chickpeas, you might consider using split chana dal from an Indian grocer. These are basically chickpeas that are split and de-skinned. Par-boil until they just begin to develop some tenderness before mixing with the rice etc. I also quickly par-boil the rice myself (not long). The split chickpeas (chana dal) cook faster and better IMO to have smaller portions in the stuffing.

To be continued...

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BandH said:

Changing my search to "yebra" has yielded some awesome looking recipes.  I found one with chicken legs (I assume just the meat off them) and pomegranate molasses.  How could that not be delicious?  Also one with apricots.  

Baby Chef gets really into trying various versions of the same recipe and asking people to vote.  Now, I'm thinking we should do that with yebra and dolmades and golabki and some kinda Thai lettuce wrap and . . . 

Pomegranate molasses is one of those mostly undiscovered food items that more people should know. And delicious cooked with dark meat chicken (I tend to prefer thighs, but whatever). Delicious.

Bill

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Pomegranate molasses is one of those mostly undiscovered food items that more people should know. And delicious cooked with dark meat chicken (I tend to prefer thighs, but whatever). Delicious.

Bill

I am going to try that recipe for sure.

26 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

The Arabs of my acquaintance from the Shams region (the Levant) call them "dolmas," which I believe you are correct in thinking is a word of Turkish origin. One of many food items that has crossed cultural/ethnic/national boundaries. There are local terms like Yalanji and Yebra. Same idea, with variations.

For the sourness, many Lebanese home cook and restaurants--believe it or not--use bottled lemon juice. I do not follow this practice myself, but it gives a certain "kick" that is different than fresh lemons. Could be you like that.

Also, there is a spice (a dried ground berry) called "sumac" that has a dark crimson color that is often used  to flavor the doma mix. Sumac has a lemony sourness to it that is quite pleasant.

As to rice, if you can find Egyptian rice (such as Egypt's Best brand) I think it gives the best results. And not overly dear. 

For the chickpeas, you might consider using split chana dal from an Indian grocer. These are basically chickpeas that are split and de-skinned. Par-boil until they just begin to develop some tenderness before mixing with the rice etc. I also quickly par-boil the rice myself (not long). The split chickpeas (chana dal) cook faster and better IMO to have smaller portions in the stuffing.

To be continued...

Bill

I think sumac might have been part of the difference.  It might also just be the volume of lemon juice.  I found some recipes with grated tomato, it could be that too.  I feel really silly that I didn't even peek inside.  

• Like 1

The whole "name thing" can make a person a little bit majnoon.

I remember when I was first learning to cook food from the region and learning a little Arabic back in university days, one of the first items I learned how to make was Lahmajun. "Lahm" is Arabic for meat. As where Jesus was born according to the Christian scriptures. Bethlehem, is Beit Lahm in Arabic, literally "House of Meat." No really.

I digress.

Ajun (or ajeen) is dough. Lahmajun are tiny flatbread meat pies. Kind of like a mini pizza.

Anyway, I learned to make them and how to say "Lahmajun" in what I considered to be a fairly estimable Lebanese accent (rightly infused with just enough "French" to sound "native).

Then I had some friends over who were from Jordan. I said I had a treat waiting: Lahmajun!

They kind of looked at me and blinked, and said patiently, "Bill in Jordan we call those Sfiha."

🤦‍♂️

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

The whole "name thing" can make a person a little bit majnoon.

I remember when I was first learning to cook food from the region and learning a little Arabic back in university days, one of the first items I learned how to make was Lahmajun. "Lahm" is Arabic for meat. As where Jesus was born according to the Christian scriptures. Bethlehem, is Beit Lahm in Arabic, literally "House of Meat." No really.

I digress.

Ajun (or ageen) is dough. Lahmajun are tiny flatbread meat pies. Kind of like a pizza.

Anyway, I learned to make them and how to say "Lahmajun" in what I considered to be a fairly estimable Lebanese accent (rightly infused with just enough "French" to sound "native).

Then I had some friends over who were from Jordan. I said I had a treat waiting: Lahmajun!

They kind of looked at me and blinked, ad said patiently, "Bill in Jordan we call those Sfiha."

🤦‍♂️

Bill

Now, I need that recipe too!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BandH said:

I am going to try that recipe for sure.

I think sumac might have been part of the difference.  It might also just be the volume of lemon juice.  I found some recipes with grated tomato, it could be that too.  I feel really silly that I didn't even peek inside.  

Sumac is worth having in any case. Also delicious sprinkled liberally on chicken before roasting. Gives things a nice color and the sourness is complex  and not overwhelming.

Popular in Arab, Israeli, Persian, and Armenian cuisine (among others).

Bill

• Like 1

Just now, BandH said:

Now, I need that recipe too!

I knew this one Lebanese guy back in the day. He was a bit of a Lahmajun-junkie, but not much of a cook.

He would fry up onions and ground beef, add some tomato sauce, and while that cooked he'd crack open one of those tubes of Pillsbury dinner roll dough. Do you know what I'm talking about?

He'd roll out little circles of dough, spread the meat and onion mix around the center, and bake them off in his toaster oven.

I recall that they were pretty tasty; however, hashish may have clouded my judgement :tongue:

Bill

• Haha 4

• Drama Llama changed the title to Lebanese stuffed grape leaves plus other stuff to stuff in leaves.
7 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I knew this one Lebanese guy back in the day. He was a bit of a Lahmajun-junkie, but not much of a cook.

He would fry up onions and ground beef, add some tomato sauce, and while that cooked he'd crack open one of those tubes of Pillsbury dinner roll dough. Do you know what I'm talking about?

He'd roll out little circles of dough, spread the meat and onion mix around the center, and bake them off in his toaster oven.

I recall that they were pretty tasty; however, hashish may have clouded my judgement :tongue:

Bill

I love that, but that is kinda the opposite of how my personal chef cooks.  His goal is to make the simple complicated, not the other way around.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BandH said:

I have added a question up top about things you can stuff in leaves.  I feel like this is a category I must explore broadly. 

Arabs of the region (and their neighbors) also enjoy stuffing vegetables. I make stuffed peppers (bell peppers) all the time. 

My friends gave me a tool--blanking on the Arabic name at the moment--that I suppose could be called a "core-er" In English, that is used on overly large Zucchinis and the like to hollow out a place to stuff the mix (while getting rid of the yucky seeds). 

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I was poking around and ran into this, stuffed carrots glazed with tamarind paste. Hmmm.

carrots-stuffed-with-maftool11.jpg

https://www.tasteofbeirut.com/stuffed-carrots/

Bill

Yum!

I do like stuffing other things -- zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, apples . . . I have not tried carrots.

I am currently obsessing about leaves though. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BandH said:

Yum!

I do like stuffing other things -- zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, apples . . . I have not tried carrots.

I am currently obsessing about leaves though. 

Back in my early college days I had this girlfriend whose Polish grandmother--who totally fit the stereotype, tiny with bright blue eyes and apple cheeks--made Golumpkis (stuffed cabbage), which were to die for as far as I was concerned. So I naturally culturally appropriated that idea.

Now more recently--and this is where the "complexity" that appeals to Baby Chef might come into play--I was talking to this Croatian guy (and no one without a clear "exit strategy" is free of my queries when it comes to questions about food traditions) and he told me that Croatians make something similar called "Sarma."

The key difference being that--instead of using fresh (blanched) cabbage leaves, as in Golumpkis--the Croatians will ferment the heads of cabbage first, just as one would ferment sauerkraut.

Making Sarma is on my short list.

Bill 

• Like 2

Everybody needs more tamarind in their lives.

But this must be postponed at my house, because Daughter is making experiments in Italian-Malaysian fusion.

We're not expecting to be able to tell if her Durian Ricotta Cake is good or not by our own taste buds. Her bestie's dad must be the judge!

Sorry BandH, this is an example of what *not* to put in leaves! 
(Unless floral onion is your thing.)

11 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

But this must be postponed at my house, because Daughter is making experiments in Italian-Malaysian fusion.

We're not expecting to be able to tell if her Durian Ricotta Cake is good or not by our own taste buds. Her bestie's dad must be the judge!

Durian Ricotta Cake?

Wow! Your daughter has me beat.

Hopefully it isn't being cooked in your home. LOL

Bill

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Whompum biscuits, Bill. Whompum biscuits, lol. 😂 And those carrots look yummy!

Had to look those up on a "Southern to English" translation website.

Claims the name comes from when you take the Pillsbury dough case and "whompum" on the counter to get them open. Is that so?

Another delightful Southern regionalism, like "fresh ham." I'm banking these in my mind (or what's left of it).

Bill

• Like 1

Just now, Spy Car said:

Had to look those up on a "Southern to English" translation website.

Claims the name comes from when you take the Pillsbury dough case and "whompum" on the counter to get them open. Is that so?

Another delightful Southern regionalism, like "fresh ham." I'm banking these in my mind (or what's left of it).

Bill

Lol. Am I misremembering that we had a discussion about whompum biscuits at some point? 🤔Maybe not? Anyway, yes, you bang ‘em on the counter and they make a loud pop. Used to be afraid to do it as it’s rather loud and explosive. Dh grew up with whompum biscuits. 

You know your extensive knowledge of all this fine cuisine is not complete without knowing about whompum biscuits! 🥐

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Lol. Am I misremembering that we had a discussion about whompum biscuits at some point? 🤔Maybe not? Anyway, yes, you bang ‘em on the counter and they make a loud pop. Used to be afraid to do it as it’s rather loud and explosive. Dh grew up with whompum biscuits. 

You know your extensive knowledge of all this fine cuisine is not complete without knowing about whompum biscuits! 🥐

You have proven to me beyond any shadow of a doubt that your memory is far (far) better than mine. 

If there any significant difference between whompum biscuits and just following the directions on the package.

I presume they still make Pillsbury biscuits? Pretty sure the last time I had any was in the form of my crazy friend's lahmajun.

Make for Spring Break, when my son comes home. He would delight in doing the "whompum" (and he'll pretty much eat anything).

Although I do get a little satisfaction when I ask, " how's the dorm food? and he grumbles a little. 

Reminds me, I need some Bitter Melons.

Bill

• Like 2

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

Here is a fancy thing you can do with whompum croissants. I’ve made this before, years back. There are many variations of this. Pampered Chef had a version and that’s the one I used. It’s pretty impressive, very easy, and so good. 

32145794b79f59505585caac37f20645.jpg

Oh that looks really good.

Must re-evaluate my preconceptions.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Make for Spring Break, when my son comes home. He would delight in doing the "whompum" (and he'll pretty much eat anything).

Yes, maybe your son would have fun trying them and learning about whompum biscuits. With grits, of course!  Yes, they still make Pillsbury biscuits, I think. They once were quite tasty. (They tend to ruin everything now with cheaper ingredients and cost-cutting). 

12 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Here is a fancy thing you can do with whompum croissants. I’ve made this before, years back. There are many variations of this. Pampered Chef had a version and that’s the one I used. It’s pretty impressive, very easy, and so good. 

32145794b79f59505585caac37f20645.jpg

So I've been looking around the web and finding articles and videos on Crescent Rings, and I'm totally stealing this idea.

Maybe with Leeks, Feta, and Spinach, like a Spanakopita?

If I hide the can I might get away claiming that I "slaved over this meal" :tongue:

Bill

• Haha 1

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

Yes, maybe your son would have fun trying them and learning about whompum biscuits. With grits, of course!  Yes, they still make Pillsbury biscuits, I think. They once were quite tasty. (They tend to ruin everything now with cheaper ingredients and cost-cutting). 

We like grits. But here we call it "polenta" (imagine I'm Jordanian and you are Lebanese) :tongue:

Bill

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I make a stuffed leaf thing fairly often - stuffed chard.  I like stuffed cabbage but these are very light, especially if you make them with quinoa.

You'll need a bunch of large chard leaves, filling, and sauce plus feta if you like it.

First make either one or both sauces:

Tomato: in a pan with a nice amount of olive oil, saute lots of finely minced garlic, a spoonful or more of chili flakes, and a finely diced onion, some bay leaves, and a good amount of salt til soft then add either your own tomato puree or a large can of crushed tomatoes.  Add a lot of cinnamon and cumin, a little cardamom, more salt and chili flakes if needed then low simmer, covered so it doesn't spatter on the wall, for about 20 minutes. 

Not tomato: whisk together Greek yogurt with minced garlic, cumin, and salt

Make the filling: use either cooked rice or quinoa as the base.  Add the same amount as the grain of cooked veg such as sauteed onion, mushrooms, kale or other greens, zucchini, diced pepper, or any veggies really plus currants or chopped dates, salt and lots of lemon juice so it's really tasty.  Sometimes I add cooked sausage or other crumbled seasoned meat like ground turkey with cinnamon and cumin.

Bring a couple of inches of water to the boil in a large pot, then hold each chard leaf by the stem and put the leaf under the water for about 20 seconds, pull it out and lay it down on the counter while you do the rest of the bunch.  Cut the rib out of the chard, (you can chop it up and add it to the filling if you like it, it's crunchy!) Smear olive oil in a pan then lay each leaf down on the counter.  Pick up a handful of the filling and smoosh it together, then lay it on the leaf, roll it up like a burrito and pop it into the pan.  Roll them all, then slather on the sauce thickly, sprinkle with feta if you like it and bake at 375 til the feta is browned and the sauce is bubbling, about 45 minutes.  

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Do not share that recipe with my chef.  I beg you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

There was a great vegan place that did "pop-ups" here in Los Angeles, and they made wraps using Collard Greens.

If the Collard Greens are very large, one can cut out the spine (making two pieces) or--what I prefer--is to turn the leaves spine up and then use a vegetable peeler to trim most of the spine away, while maintaining one large leaf.

The Collard Greens can be used raw, but I came to favor dipping them (very very briefly) in boiling water and then immediately into an ice bath. Just takes the raw edge off and makes them more pliable.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My (21) son's favorite donuts are canned biscuits (the whompums) with a hole cut out of the center and fried.   I usually sprinkle with powdered sugar, though I've done cinnamon and sugar on occasion.   Those were the only 'donuts' I knew growing up.   He loves them.   Once in a blue moon, I'll make some for him.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Are all stuffed grape leaves pickled?   I had the Greek ones and didn't realize they were pickled until I bit into it.   I was so disappointed and couldn't finish it.   They looked sooooo yummy.  

No, you can stuff fresh grape leaves, but people mostly use brined ones since they’re easier to find.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Are all stuffed grape leaves pickled?   I had the Greek ones and didn't realize they were pickled until I bit into it.   I was so disappointed and couldn't finish it.   They looked sooooo yummy.  

During the Spring (in LA markets that cater to Middle Easter clientele) it is possible to purchase fresh grape leaves.

They pile them up in huge mounds and the little old Armenian grandmothers carefully pick through them to get the very best ones.

I join in, but sometime get the "what the hell is this guy doing?" side-eye, and it is always wise to look out for sharp elbows flying.

Fans of fresh vine-leaves take it very seriously.

Bill

• Like 2

Just now, Amira said:

No, you can stuff fresh grape leaves, but people mostly use brined ones since they’re easier to find.  

The fresh ones--as I'm sure you know--are tastier.

One of those items that is very seasonal in markets here. If I see them, I buy them.

Then gone for another year.

Bill

12 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

If one keeps soaking the jarred leaves in changes of water and then boils (maybe more than once) in fresh water, it is possible to make them a lot less salty. If you ever see fresh ones, grab 'em.

Bill

• Thanks 1

Just now, Spy Car said:

The fresh ones--as I'm sure you know--are tastier.

One of those items that is very seasonal in markets here. If I see them, I buy them.

Then gone for another year.

Bill

Grape leaf season lasts longer in Egypt, and then people often stuff cabbage leaves when grape leaves are out of season. And it’s all called mahshi, no matter what you’re stuffing.  It’s normal in the Middle East to see hollowed-out vegetables for mahshi/dolma in the market.

• Like 2

Just now, Amira said:

Grape leaf season lasts longer in Egypt, and then people often stuff cabbage leaves when grape leaves are out of season. And it’s all called mahshi, no matter what you’re stuffing.  It’s normal in the Middle East to see hollowed-out vegetables for mahshi/dolma in the market.

I don't know why fresh vine-leaf season is so short here. I guess that the big growers in the Central Valley (Fresno) must trim their plants up at that time? One week, maybe two.

You remind me that my Egyptian friends called stuffed leaves and veggies "mahshi." I'd forgotten that. My Egyptian friends liked to include lentils in their mahshi stuffings (along with rice and caramelized onions).

Bill