Menu

Fevers ?

BakersDozen

I think I just need reassurance tonight. Crazy that I've been a mom for 26 years, 13dc, and yet fevers still spook me. Some of my dc, mostly my boys, will get to 104.6/104.7. Those warrant a quick trip to a lukewarm bath, wet towels on backs/chests/heads, etc. I sit up all night monitoring them even as they sleep. They're eating and drinking, tired but not overly lethargic. But it's these times that I don't feel like a "seasoned" mom, rather a nervous mom who is unsure of everything all over again.

I can handle head colds and stomach flu just fine, but not fevers.

• Sad 7

Anytime there is a fever with my kids I'm a mess. I'm traumatized because my first had a fever at 3 weeks old, barely cracked 101. At the time I was trying to act all "seasoned", "I got this" mom. Apparently, any uptick in temperature at that age is a dire emergency. Now my go to reaction anytime my kids get a fever is to never leave their side. In my head I know it's no big deal now, but emotionally I'm like "Do we need to go to the ER??"   

• Like 1

Just now, Clarita said:

Anytime there is a fever with my kids I'm a mess. I'm traumatized because my first had a fever at 3 weeks old, barely cracked 101. At the time I was trying to act all "seasoned", "I got this" mom. Apparently, any uptick in temperature at that age is a dire emergency. Now my go to reaction anytime my kids get a fever is to never leave their side. In my head I know it's no big deal now, but emotionally I'm like "Do we need to go to the ER??"   

I was the "acting like I got this" mom until my #8 had a febrile seizure. At the same time, a friend's dc had something fever related which I won't detail here, but it rocked my world. So I don't sleep and I watch them at night, and I still find myself with car keys in hand, wondering if it's time for the ER.

• Sad 5

My kids do this, too. That’s the level when I give a fever reducer (I’ll give it before that point if they’re miserable from the fever). I don’t actually feel worried with my own kids until it gets over 105. Is he already on a fever reducer and still his temperature is that high? Are you rotating ibuprofen and Tylenol already? So sorry your kids are sick!

18 minutes ago, KSera said:

My kids do this, too. That’s the level when I give a fever reducer (I’ll give it before that point if they’re miserable from the fever). I don’t actually feel worried with my own kids until it gets over 105. Is he already on a fever reducer and still his temperature is that high? Are you rotating ibuprofen and Tylenol already? So sorry your kids are sick!

I hold off fever reducers until 103 or if miserable. I do rotate ibuprofen/Tylenol, although my pediatrician told me (following the febrile seizure) that if it gets over 104 to give half and half, and that has always worked wonderfully. His temp came down to 102 w/the combination meds and bath.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, KSera said:

This.  Only one of mine ever got a fever of 104 and of course, we were traveling at the time.  SHe got  whatever equine fever being spread by mosquitoes that was going around in 2001.  We were in the car and couldn't do much but just keep giving her meds and liquids and keeping a/c on.

• Sad 1

Fevers are the worst I remember when Mdd had Roseola and the nurse hotline was so blah just dose with alternating Fever reducers etc.  

Youngest had a fever that wouldn't break with covid and I was a mess. 

Those are my only 2 experiences with super high fever.  Mdd was hospitalized with pneumonia and for some reason it didn't bug me the way fevers do.

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

How are things today? I hope the fevers broke and all is looking better! I hope you got some sleep.

One fever down to 100. ds7 still at 102-103 and quite miserable now that stomach upset has also set in. Not sure what today will look like...3 more of the dc have not had the fevers so watching them closely. I got an hour of nap-sleep so feeling quite zombie-like right now.

• Sad 4