Menu

S/O knives--giving kids' kitchen utensils and other similar items

Jaybee

When I saw @BandH's post, it reminded me of something my mother did when my sisters and I were young. She would save Betty Crocker coupons and would also otherwise have the occasional opportunity to get a great deal on kitchen items. So several Christmases, among our gifts was a nice stainless set of measuring cups/spoons. One year, we all got a box of basic Farberware pots and pans. Once, she had a friend who had a relative stationed in Japan, and she gave us all a nice set of flatware (she had us pick out the pattern we preferred) that he could get at a discount. Anyway, I am still using my Farberware, and (sometimes) the flatware, and I am in my 60s.

I thought it was interesting at the time, but didn't realize how helpful it would be later. So if you want to start a "hope chest" collection for your kids, dropping an item or two at Christmas time is a great way to do it!

• Like 7

We considered this, but the problem comes in how to store items now. 😄 Oldest is 23.  He isn't moving out anytime soon.  He wants to, and has a good nest egg going, but homes are expensive here and rentals are near impossible.  So, he waits. 

Our 21st century solution has been to slowly upgrade things he has, but put money aside for things he will need.  We've moved around enough that we have a good idea of what his immediate needs will be and what he will/won't appreciate yet.

• Like 3

I've gotten my kids a variety of kitchen things they asked for (immersion blender, coffee presses/other coffee things I don't understand, knives, pots/pans, casserole pans, etc) They have used these in apartments with other young adults, but neither is ready to start by themselves yet. Some of the things I purchased are good quality and will last for years,  others, like the knives, are decent but I will get the kid who loves to cook better knives when she has a stable place of her own - or a reliable roommate. 

Storage/moving back and forth each school year to college, makes buying much not such a great idea for us. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BandH said:

Wanna weigh in on my other knife thread? 

There are so many good knives. Much of the choice comes in personal preferences (such as balance and how the knife feels in one's hands) and it also depends on one's maintenance habits.

For example, I really love carbon steel knives. I have an ancient one that my grandmother (who was born in the 19th century) used almost everyday to make German coleslaw. I still use that knife for the same purpose and I think of her as I do so. It is meaningful to me on an emotional level, and the knife does a damn fine job. But this knife, and other carbon steel knives I've collected (moderately-priced Japanese sushi and vegetable knives) will rust if they are not dried immediately. So are they a good choice for all? No.

There are many outstanding German, American, and Japanese knives now available.  Don't mean to "cop out" on the question, and I'm not free on opinions on many matters, but knives are an area where I believe personal taste and feelings of ergonomics are highly individual.

Bill

I love giving my adult kids kitchen gear.  

Oldest ds does all the cooking for himself and ddil. He likes unusual flavors and spices so I give him things like a nutmeg grater and good nutmegs, idli steamers and idli mix.  His in-laws gave him a smoker and he is a champ smoker. This year I gave him an International Yums box subscription based on another thread so we'll see how it is.  Oldest dd does a lot of careful handworks (and also had a pie business) so for kitchen gear I've given her a handmade rolling pin, handmade cutting boards, handmade ceramic terrine.  Third ds loves design and specifically cubes so he's gotten square dishes and serving platters, granite freezer cubes, plus beautiful knives.  Youngest is still at home but she also loves homemade so I imagine she will receive locally made wooden and pottery items in the future.

My favorite baby and toddler gifts to give are wooden spoons and other non-sharp wooden kitchen utensils.

Grad student dd is getting an expresso maker this year 🙂 

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2

My Oneida stainless silverware was a Betty Crocker points purchase. Lots of friends saved points in addition to my mother saving points, and I received the set for Christmas one year. Sometimes aunts and uncles bought household items for gifts as well--sheets, etc. 

DS always puts tools on his list. I have an urge to get him household stuff for when he moves out. Storage is possible if I get on with selling some homeschool stuff, lol! 

• Like 1