Menu

Update at end….Planet Fitness….pros and cons and which membership level

Ottakee

I have been doing water aerobics 3 times a week since Feb.  due to instructor  leaving and pool repair there is no more water aerobics until March.

That led to a friend and I working out in the gym part at that location.   Facilities were OK but very small and limited options……so today my friend had me meet her at Planet Fitness.  She joined and I am trying to decide.

It is right in my way to work and not busy that time of day.  I can do a $10/month basic membership or $25/month deluxe where I could use the  PF local to my house (nice option when I am off work), invite a friend, and a se the tanning bed and the red light thing.

Anyone else use Planet Fitness?  I know you have to cancel in person like a month ahead of time but any other cons?   Things you love?

Edited by Ottakee

I joined last summer when DS was home from college and needed a place to work out. I got the $25 membership figuring I could take DS for free when he was home, I could take DD at other times, and I was hoping that a friend might want to work out with me. And I thought I'd use the massage chairs, hydromassage table, and red light thingy. Unfortunately neither DD nor my friend want to work out, a knee injury has precluded me from doing much anyway, and the prospect of a new covid wave on top of a flu wave have further discouraged me from using it.

Having said all that, I think it's a good deal if you'll actually use it. The massage chair and hydromassage table are quite nice, and if it weren't for covid and my damned knee I'd probably be going regularly. Before covid I had a family membership to a really nice fitness center with indoor and outdoor pools, jacuzzi, sauna, etc., and I did work out there regularly, but the kids aged out of the family membership and it's really not a good deal for one person (plus no way am I going to sit in a Jacuzzi or sauna with unmasked people in a pandemic).

That's a lot of rambling that's probably not very useful, but the short version is I'd give it a try. I think the $25/month membership can be canceled at any time, no contract, so I'd start with that one and just see if you like it and will use it enough to be worthwhile.

Edited by Corraleno
typos galore
  • Like 2

Thanks.  I have my own hot tub…..as of last week.   I miss the water aerobics and will likely go back when they open again.

the PF is because of my bad knees and the need for workouts at my pace and my level.   I have a treadmill and bike here at home but meeting a friend there does help the motivation.   And I honestly have been loving the weight machines.   Simple and easy to use.  My goal is to strengthen my knees, improve overall health and fitness and hopefully lose more weight.  I want to be able to hike even more next year and carry a pack over the miles.

• Like 2

What is the red light thing? I have a PF deluxe membership and love it. I got it over the lower one because I bring ds with most of the time. Plus, there is one near my house and one near where my girls take dance so I can schedule a workout pretty easily around my normal day routines

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

What is the red light thing? I have a PF deluxe membership and love it. I got it over the lower one because I bring ds with most of the time. Plus, there is one near my house and one near where my girls take dance so I can schedule a workout pretty easily around my normal day routines

• Thanks 1

I went with another gym for the same price as PF.  Ours here is kind of gross, often broken machines and has a smell that is well a bit above locker room and toilet freshener.  But if you live in an area that has a nice one and like it, go for it.  I would double check reviews on your local one as some can be difficult with canceling/putting a membership on hold due to injury. 

I found the hydro massage and massage chairs made my pain worse. I didn't give the light booth enough of a chance.

I joined because they had the Precore stretch trainer I love. I ended up buying one early in the pandemic to use at home.

I prefer free weights over weight machines and PF is big on not grunting or doing drop weights and I didn't feel PF was as welcoming to those who want to bulk up. 

• Like 1

Yes, with the $25 "Black Card" membership there is a $1 startup fee and a $49 annual fee, but I believe the annual fee isn't charged until a couple of months after you join, so if you don't like it and quit before then, you should not get charged (but definitely doublecheck with club staff).

Also, for anyone with a Medicare Advantage or MediGap plan that includes the "Silver Sneakers" benefit (or another similar program), many Planet Fitness locations accept that benefit, which I think makes membership free. But again be sure to double check with staff at the location(s) you're interested in.

Edited by Corraleno

9 hours ago, SHP said:

I found the hydro massage and massage chairs made my pain worse. I didn't give the light booth enough of a chance.

I joined because they had the Precore stretch trainer I love. I ended up buying one early in the pandemic to use at home.

I prefer free weights over weight machines and PF is big on not grunting or doing drop weights and I didn't feel PF was as welcoming to those who want to bulk up. 

I also prefer free weights, of which PF has little (some dumbbells but no barbells except the smith machine). I found their no- judgement slogan is really not so true. They judge plenty if they think you are working too hard or are too fit. I got an alarm on my after releasing a dumbbell while doing a fly. My hand was barely off the ground. I'd went to fatigue and couldn't lift it anymore. And yes, they made dropping the membership a royal PITA for my mom and I (we had separate accounts but worked out together for a spell).

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.  I have no desire for free weights and at my age, weight and fitness level, no one will say I am working out too hard 😀.  But sorry some of you had that experience.

I am honestly surprised that I signed up for the free day pass yesterday and used it and I haven’t gotten any “please join” emails yet.  

I think I will join, I just have to decide if the tanning and red light therapy and opportunity to use the gym near me is worth it or not for the extra each month. I am not interested in a deep tan but have heard that a short time each week can help with seasonal affective disorder…..and I am going to Cancun in April with a friend.   The red light therapy that might help with arthritis and join pain is very Interesting to me as I have bad knees.

• Like 1

I joined and had no problem putting my membership on hold and eventually canceling when my new job made it a waste of money to try to keep up with. I think a lot depends on the cleanliness of the local facility. My aunt and uncle use the one near us when they come visit and they often mention how much cleaner and nicer it is than their home gym. I didn't realize there was a wide range in quality until they told me.

• Like 1

I joined my local PF a few weeks ago and have been pleasantly surprised at the wide variety of ages and fitness levels there. Ours is clean and well maintained. I just did the basic membership because I didn’t think I’d use the perks and I don’t travel much. Obviously I haven’t tried to cancel yet, but I know my parents were able to cancel theirs. 

• Like 1

I was a member years ago when my youngest was doing DE but wasn't driving yet so I joined PF to work out during her classes.  It was great and I really enjoyed being a member.  So inexpensive and our PF was spotless.  If we had one near where we live I'd definitely be a member but it's too far of a drive.  I had no trouble canceling at all.

I just got back from a workout at the one near dance class for the first time and it is so much nicer than my home gym, even though that one is nice too.  Forgot my towel, so instead of a shower I took advantage of the hydro massage chair and it was great. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Happy to hear all the positive comments.  They offer a feee 30 minute spot with a trainer each Friday morning that fits perfectly in my schedule.  That alone saves me lots of money

Wow is that at all locations? A group session or individual? I’ve been meaning to go sign up at my neighborhood gym but it sounds like PF is more economical. 

4 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

Wow is that at all locations? A group session or individual? I’ve been meaning to go sign up at my neighborhood gym but it sounds like PF is more economical. 

I honestly have no idea.  There are some group classes and then this individual 30 minute session.  The trainer also said that if you sign up for a class and no one else shows up they can make it a personal training class.

11 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I honestly have no idea.  There are some group classes and then this individual 30 minute session.  The trainer also said that if you sign up for a class and no one else shows up they can make it a personal training class.

Thanks, I’ll ask at my local location. That’s a terrific benefit!

• Like 1

I joined today.  I did the premium membership that lets me go to my hometown club as well as the one near where I work (where I signed up) unlimited.  That was a plus.

i did the red light Total Body Enhancement today.   I might try other things as well.

• Like 4

• Ottakee changed the title to Update at end….Planet Fitness….pros and cons and which membership level

Just an update after about 4 months of the black card membership.

i can honestly say I am loving it.   I go to the PF on the way to work 4-5 mornings a week and one afternoon.   I take at least 3 of the fitness classes a week.   The trainer there is great and modifies what he does to the people on the class.

I I’ve also been tanning just a few minutes to get a base before Cancun.

I also visit the PF near where I live and I’ve invited a few guests.   The hydro massage beds are great too.

so all in all I am really enjoying it and am getting stronger.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Glad you like it. I've been going since July and love it. Dh and I go every day at 6am except sat and sun because they open at 7 am. It has been great

We are blessed that the trainer at the one we go to by work is really good and makes classes fun and challenging but doable.   Having a friend to work out with and hold me accountable really helps.

ours is very clean as well.

• Like 1

I've been going to PF since about 2016.  I had the black card when we were traveling a lot, otherwise, just the cheapest card.  I like it.  And ours is nice and clean as well.  

Sometimes the music is LOUD.  It seems to depend on who's working behind the desk.  I carry ear plugs and headphones for that.

They also just replaced a lot of the cardio machines.  And my nice worn out easy ellipticals are all gone.  😞  I now have to use what I call the 'torture machines'.  It is constantly telling me to 'speed up'.  Which I ignore, of course.  lol

That's great you found a trainer and a friend to work out with.  Happy exercising!  🙂

• Like 1