Menu

Well-Trained Bodies November

Soror

Yesterday didn't work at all. I barely  got any sleep and only had energy for a short walk on the flat.  Today is starting better - very good sleep and a gorgeous sunrise. I'll try to walk at lunchtime  - that might be it. Busy day. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to yoga last night and then took a slow ramble of a walk with the dog (4.5K) to finish off yesterday's steps.

Headed out to walk this morning, but the weather was so overcast and drizzly that I was concerned we were about to get poured on. (For the record, I don't really mind walking in the rain, except that it makes the ground more slippery, which can be a problem for someone who already has less than great balance and can't feel her feet, and then I end up back home with a wet, miserable dog.) So, we logged only 1.75K before going back inside. 

I followed up with one of Leslie Sansone's "boosted walk" videos, which netted me the equivalent of another 2.5K in steps, and then a 20-minute seated upper body weights video.

In theory, we are off work early today, but I have to take off time in the middle of the morning for a doctor's appointment and have one task I must finish before I log off for the holiday weekend. However, once I do wrap up, I need to turn my attention to doing the last of the cleaning in the house and starting to prep what I can for tomorrow's big event. I'm walking a 5K in the morning and then need to scoot home and have food ready to start putting out within an hour or so in order to accommodate the schedules of a couple of guests. So, whatever I can accomplish ahead of time this afternoon/evening would be helpful. 

At some point, though, I'll get in the remainder of my steps for the day.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 252.3 of 550K
Walking Streak: 40

• Like 6

@Harriet Vane glad to hear you made it back to the gym without incident and are continuing to recover.

@Jenny in Florida good luck on the 5k tomorrow, very true about adjusting expectations.

@wintermom Good for you getting the PT work done so hopefully those naggy body parts are feeling better. It is nice to get some more activity after a quiet spell.

@Laura Corin We're continuing to think of you during this difficult time. 

@heartlikealion I'm impressed by all your activity even in the midst of trying at times circumstances

I did a 10 min of kickboxing the other day.

1 hr of pickleball (finally made it back) yesterday afternoon.

25 min full body weights this am

I'm easing back into workouts in the midst of doing all my projects. My body doesn't want anything with much intensity, at all. Even last night at pickleball after a few sprints after the ball I could feel it. I don't know what's going on there. I thought I just needed a break and that might be part of it. So, thinking on what I want to do and what would work for me. Going to continue keeping it light here and think on it.

I finished the bathroom cabinet yesterday (3 coats of poly because it was unfinished when I bought it). Lots of shopping and errands while waiting on dd from morning swim. I changed my mailbox. I bought a new one months ago but hadn't the nerve to switch them out but it wasn't hard at all. We got dd1's room painted.

Today we're going to paint the top half of the shop if dh makes it home in time to help. I'm getting ready to get out there and do what I can. It's a ton of ladder work and the big ladders are very hard to maneuver besides I haven't figured out how to have enough hands to hold paint, the ladder, and my brush. We'll see! Wish me luck!

Today is also dd2's 13th bday! 3 teenagers in my house now. I'm cooking her a big meal this evening with ribs (her request). 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Xh asked to drop the kids off at 3 instead of tonight. It's going to be more challenging to get exercise with them here. I might have to ride the bike while dd watches annoying YouTubers lol. I just have one TV in the house. Ds will be glued to my laptop most likely. He actually asked to not come, which was painful. He hasn't come over in weeks and I usually don't see him at dd's drop offs. I told him we're expected for a meal on Thursday but maybe he can return to dad's sometime after Thursday (I technically have them til school Monday). 

• Like 6

A very productive day - lots of admin completed and a brisk walk up the hill with Husband. 

This evening  - going through photos to build a slide show for Mum's funeral. I love how happy she looks on her wedding day. And larking about with friends  - standing left, wearing pearls.

IMG-20221123-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20221123-WA0001.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

It's just occurred to me that - given the uniformly young age - I suspect that those are all drama students at RADA, which makes sense with how expressive they all are.

Thank you for sharing the pics Laura. It seems I can see a resemblance between you and your Mom. I guess that means your mom was a student of RADA? I don't recall you sharing that before, how fun. 

• Like 3

Dh did make it home at a somewhat reasonable time and we got one coat of paint on. Due to the limited daylight and drying time we could not get two. It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared with the two of us and only took about 2 hours. Looking at the forecast I'm hoping we can get coat 2 on Sunday and maybe the trim. I really, really want to get the paint done then it will look done from the front although there is still much to do in the back. 

I'm aiming to take a day off of my to-do list and enjoy the holiday. Since both my mom and mil have their plans for food I try to just make foods I like and can eat. I'm thinking I'll make some roasted brussel sprouts, potatoes au gratin, and cranberry salad. I'm contemplating if I want to make myself some sort of dessert. 

• Like 6

When I went to bed last night, my body absolutely ached. I had worked hard at the gym and was stiffening up from that, and then cleaning and cooking a ton really did me in. Today I took a gentle walk out on the lane with our guests and I hung on the teeter board. I'll be sure to do some PT reps before bed. 

All that said, I made the best pumpkin pie I have EVER made. I did an almond flour crust, and the pumpkin custard included molasses, which put the flavor over the top. 

• Like 6

I spent a huge chunk of the day in the car. Drove 2.5 hours each way to meet family at a buffet. Total cheat meal, including the yummy buttery rolls and dessert. I did a little bit of walking/dancing at the house, plus general steps totaling 6k and 60 min on the exercise bike. Dd is watching tv and I think I'm gonna skip the HIIT and just shower. 

• Like 6

Went on a walk outside, 42 min on the bike, did some indoor walking/dancing, 15 min HIIT. My overall step count wasn't the best, but pretty good for me (7765k) especially since I added other activities.

I really do not enjoy the HIIT workouts, especially this phase... but I do modifications/alt exercises to get through it. I think it does help (since it's supposed to burn calories post workout). So just trying to add it back in here and there. I'm on Phase 3 week 2. Maybe Phase 4 will be better, but probably not lol.

• Like 6

I started yesterday morning with the local turkey trot 5K, which was fun. I didn't set a record for myself, but I tied my fastest previous pace. 

By the time I scooted home, my son and his girlfriend were there. They brought along their dog to meet our new canine family member. The dogs got along really well, which was lovely to watch. (And I had an extra dog to play with and cuddle for the day.) A little later in the day, some friends joined us in time for Thanksgiving brunch. Everybody hung out for a couple of hours, until son and gf needed to leave to get her to work and friends needed to get home to their own Thanksgiving dinner. 

Honestly, the brunch thing worked so well that we're already thinking we'll do it again next year and maybe expand the guest list. It was nice to have the time to be with people and share a meal and have that whole experience . . . and still have the dishes done and be relaxing in a clean, quiet house by mid-afternoon. 

I took another short walk with the dog to finish off the day's steps and did some gentle yoga stretches in front of the TV.

Back to the usual today, with a 4.4K walk around the neighborhood this morning. I skipped any other exercise, because I had an appointment for a booster and flu shot and then headed out to do some holiday shopping (lots of steps). I finished off the day's steps with another short (2K) walk this evening.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 264.8 of 550K
Walking Streak: 42

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

Ds and his fiancee came today to stay for the weekend, which is such a pleasure. We enjoy them both so much. We all took a loooooong walk this afternoon--the weather was ideal, brisk and cool but also warmer than usual for November--and it was fun just to talk and walk together. 

What fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are celebrating Thanksgiving today - quietly, just the two of us. This morning, if the weather holds, we will walk on the beach. The feels like temperature is freezing,  so we'll see how far we feel like going.

I have an essay to write this weekend,  so probably not much more exercise than that.

• Like 6

Yoga for Stress Management this morning. This was the first of maybe 6 weeks of Christmas Tree yoga. The tree is up and lit but no ornaments yet. I plugged it in and turned the gas fireplace on and had a nice yoga session. Cat and dog joined me briefly at the beginning before leaving to sit on the heat vent (cat) and snore on the sofa (dog).

The Stress that I'm trying to address is all of the holiday stress already. And I need to get some schoolwork done, but we're still decorating, still trying to get most of the shopping done, spending time with the girls, and today we'll try to get a family photo for a Christmas card. I'll need next weekend to get caught up on all of the normal stuff I usually do on the weekends. And weight is up of course--need to return to just plain ol' not-eating-so-much.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

The scale didn’t go down… ugh I don’t know if that’s a reflection of muscle gain or I’m just storing all my fat. I think I need to start using the dumbbells again. I use the resistance band in the HIIT workout. Hmm. 

Muscle gain is a real thing. The more we learn about bodies, nutrition, and exercise, the more we learn that weight itself (the number) is not an accurate measure of health, strength, or appearance. 

All that to say, you're doing great. Keep on keeping on. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Muscle gain is a real thing. The more we learn about bodies, nutrition, and exercise, the more we learn that weight itself (the number) is not an accurate measure of health, strength, or appearance. 

What she said.

After a lifetime of obsessing about what the scale showed me and likely doing real damage to my health by trying to reach a specific number, I am now trying to focus on how I feel, what my body can do, etc. 

• Like 6

Walked the usual 4.5K this morning. There was no yoga class today because of the holiday weekend, so I talked my husband into taking the dog to the farmers' market and street sale downtown. We wandered for a couple of hours, after which I dropped husband and dog at home and went back out to try and finish up the adopt-a-family shopping. Gifts have to be dropped off this coming weekend, so we're trying to wrap up before the work week kicks in.

Between the dog walk, the downtown wandering and the shopping, I'm currently at about 12,000 steps for the day. I need to do some schoolwork now, but I'll drag the dog back out for another short walk this evening to top off the daily count.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 269.2 of 550K
Walking Streak: 43

• Like 6

Tough day today. Surreal, really. My ds and his fiancee cleaned out ds' room. I didn't know they were planning to do it this weekend, though it makes sense to take care of it over Thanksgiving break. They are setting up their apartment after finals and getting married right after Christmas. I had originally hoped to get in a walk and some PT, but when they left to drop off stuff at Goodwill and run a few errands I was just feeling sad and disoriented at the empty room. I love my future dil and I rejoice in my ds' adventures, but I miss the days when I had all the fun of raising him and his sister. 

So now the plan is to enjoy the evening together playing games and such, and my goal will be to get in a few PT basics and hang on the teeter board before bed.

• Sad 7

22 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

The scale didn’t go down… ugh I don’t know if that’s a reflection of muscle gain or I’m just storing all my fat. I think I need to start using the dumbbells again. I use the resistance band in the HIIT workout. Hmm. 

TBH muscle gain is not a quick process for us women but if that is a goal I would for sure bring out the dumbbells. Our bodies are so wonky. It could be the time of your cycle or retention of fluid due to what you ate or soreness from exercise. Are you tracking measurements? Sometimes that can be a more telling indicator than the scale. And have you made performance based goals? Focusing on increasing endurance, speed, and strength is good for your mind and more the focus off the number on the scale which can be so hard to control. Your healthy habits are worthwhile, even if that scale is not moving. We can all see how hard you are working, don't get discouraged.

14 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Tough day today. Surreal, really. My ds and his fiancee cleaned out ds' room. I didn't know they were planning to do it this weekend, though it makes sense to take care of it over Thanksgiving break. They are setting up their apartment after finals and getting married right after Christmas. I had originally hoped to get in a walk and some PT, but when they left to drop off stuff at Goodwill and run a few errands I was just feeling sad and disoriented at the empty room. I love my future dil and I rejoice in my ds' adventures, but I miss the days when I had all the fun of raising him and his sister. 

So now the plan is to enjoy the evening together playing games and such, and my goal will be to get in a few PT basics and hang on the teeter board before bed.

I'm sorry, those transitions are rough and sometimes hit like a ton of bricks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As usual these days I can't remember when I posted. We had a good Thanksgiving but all the rich food kicked my gall bladder into a flare. I was utterly miserable Friday. Yesterday was improved and mostly normal by the evening, thank goodness. I must remember I can't do that I pay for it every time and it isn't worth it.

My sleep has been worse than ever. My awake time at night increased from 2 hours up to 5 hrs or maybe not going back to sleep at all. Things have died off so it shouldn't be allergies and it continued to get even worse even at the good part of my cycle so it shouldn't have been hormones. That left just one variable that I'm aware of, my thyroid. I cut the dosage of my one med Friday morning and so far have slept better the last two nights. I was up less than an hour in the night Friday and not at all last night. We'll see how it continues to go. We increased my meds for a reason. My energy level was not great but I don't know that this is working for me either. At first, I felt wonderful but it is often the case. I wish appointments and labs weren't so expensive. I'm rather tired of this stupid yoyo. I haven't felt my levels were too high other than my sleep. I'm not all jittery. I've been maintaining my weight. I'm just throwing darts blindfolded and hope something sticks because I cannot function like that. Now we'll see how exercise goes for over a month I've had trouble pushing very hard during training. Maybe that was related to my levels? IDK! At this point, I'm thinking I'll be looking into going back onto my previous meds if they've straightened out the supply chain and recall issues. This is frustrating.

I might do yoga this morning, if I feel like it. Mostly I have some school planning, housework, and hopefully the second coat of paint on the top front of the shop.

I'm starting Caroline's Advent calendar a few days early on Monday so I'll finish a few days before Christmas Eve. All of the workouts are 20ish minutes are less which seems a good fit for the time being. I'll attempt the HIIT when it comes up but last several times I tried I couldn't do it so I'll see what my body is up to and just do LISS if need be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Yesterday I wanted to walk but it was raining all day. Ds and I had a chance to watch tv together which is rare so I sat with him rather than on the bike. Dd didn’t eat this banana she requested that was going bad so I made it into banana muffins and ate one. I didn’t eat well yesterday and lost motivation to bike. I have also been struggling with my depression off/on. I think it finally stopped raining. Today is a new day. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I love hearing about all the different Thanksgiving celebrations.

I've played tennis three times this week, and each time I was playing better than the last! I'm so happy to feel like I can play this games again, especially without pain. The weather has also been amazing for last November, and walking the dogs in the woods has been lovely. 

• Like 4

@Soror I remember very well how miserable I was in the yo-yo days before I had my thyroid removed. I'm not sure what your situation is, but I had been diagnosed with both Graves and Hashimoto's, a situation my endocrinologist described as being like a war taking place in my neck. It was awful. I'm so sorry you're fighting something similar.

• Sad 4

Took a short walk (2.4K) with the dog last night, which just barely finished off the day's steps.

I took her out briefly this morning, then got her settled back at home and went out to tackle the virtual 5K to earn my Turkey Trot badge for my walking challenge. I can never make the same pace for these solo/virtual ones as I can for an in-person event, but I am currently holding first place in my age/gender/state group (of three little old ladies from Florida, so don't be too impressed). I'll take it.

I had planned to spend the day doing the schoolwork I have mostly avoided the entire holiday weekend, but my husband invited our son over to help put up the outside holiday lights. So, despite my best intentions, I hung out with them putting up decorations and stuff until mid-afternoon. I'm counting it as exercise.

I have had my behind in my desk chair since about 3:30 and managed to assemble the draft of one final paper and strategize how to approach the other. Both are due in a week, so I need to buckle down.

By the time I came up for air and decided to go for a walk, it was pouring. I rode the stationary bike for a little over 30 minutes instead.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 288.3 of 550K
Walking Streak: 44

• Like 5

Sunday I made it out for a walk, 35 min on bike, 15 min HIIT, indoor dancing/walking for steps. Made it to 10,500 steps today not counting bike time (whoo!). 
I do measure myself with a tape measure periodically but I don’t think that’s changed lately as it will take more time. I told myself to give myself self compassion and a couple bad days doesn’t change the whole trajectory. I had made a French toast bake for the kids and ate some but I’d say I made up for it. 
I ordered a cheap set of 2 lb dumbbells for certain exercises.
I have been trying to complete CEUs for renewing my CPST status but didn’t get far. I finished a video and it said that I’d need the manual for the quiz. Can I have that hour of my life back? 
I emailed a new therapist to inquire about possibly seeing her. My last therapist wanted to see me more often and tackle “part work” (IFS). I don’t know if my meds are doing anything anymore. I hate being on them and want to ween but also don’t think that’s best now. Ds twists a knife in me when we talk (every mother wants to hear their kid say every child deserves a parent but not every parent deserves a child). Between that and other things in my personal life I’ve had some bouts of depression. 

• Sad 5

Popping in this late in the month to say I have high hopes for participating regularly in December!!!

I’ve lost about 5lbs since moving, just from traversing a larger house and walking more dogs. I’m going to attach my step chart, but there’s no way I’m sharing the actual numbers, lol.
My eating habits are still rather abysmal, but they’re not my main focus. I’ll get to that eventually.

We’re on our way to achieving my dream-light home gym. Elliptical still has to be moved from the old house, and smith/cable rack and weights are being delivered in early December. In the meantime, I got a good deal on a decent rowing machine, justified a balance ball because ds can use it for PT, and we have our adjustable dumbbells. Now that puppies are sleeping through the night, but with early mornings, I’m beginning to find a groove with what I have.

I’m getting excited! I’ve missed workout highs and feeling strong. The thought of being able to do that without 30 minute drives each way or braving freezing temperatures in the dark is pretty awesome.

Fingers crossed tightly!

B82805A3-B180-4130-92F7-EA53BA701085.jpeg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

I love hearing about all the different Thanksgiving celebrations.

I've played tennis three times this week, and each time I was playing better than the last! I'm so happy to feel like I can play this games again, especially without pain. The weather has also been amazing for last November, and walking the dogs in the woods has been lovely. 

Playing without pain is wonderful. Here's hoping that time off will keep the injuries at bay.

22 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Brisk 5-mile walk including hills. That's the most exercise I've had since before I had Covid.  It felt good.

I'm thrilled that you are doing better. How did the services for your Mom go? (did I miss this?)

22 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Yesterday I wanted to walk but it was raining all day. Ds and I had a chance to watch tv together which is rare so I sat with him rather than on the bike. Dd didn’t eat this banana she requested that was going bad so I made it into banana muffins and ate one. I didn’t eat well yesterday and lost motivation to bike. I have also been struggling with my depression off/on. I think it finally stopped raining. Today is a new day. 

Today is a new day. I'm sorry you are struggling right now, depression is the pits 😞  I'm sorry your ds is being a butthead. Teenagers can be challenging enough without throwing in the complications of divorce.

BTW are you planning rest days? It is not a failure to take a day off. Rest days are good for us. 

13 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Took a short walk (2.4K) with the dog last night, which just barely finished off the day's steps.

I took her out briefly this morning, then got her settled back at home and went out to tackle the virtual 5K to earn my Turkey Trot badge for my walking challenge. I can never make the same pace for these solo/virtual ones as I can for an in-person event, but I am currently holding first place in my age/gender/state group (of three little old ladies from Florida, so don't be too impressed). I'll take it.

I had planned to spend the day doing the schoolwork I have mostly avoided the entire holiday weekend, but my husband invited our son over to help put up the outside holiday lights. So, despite my best intentions, I hung out with them putting up decorations and stuff until mid-afternoon. I'm counting it as exercise.

I have had my behind in my desk chair since about 3:30 and managed to assemble the draft of one final paper and strategize how to approach the other. Both are due in a week, so I need to buckle down.

By the time I came up for air and decided to go for a walk, it was pouring. I rode the stationary bike for a little over 30 minutes instead.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 288.3 of 550K
Walking Streak: 44

Movement is movement. Getting movement and family time together is a win to me. Good luck finishing your papers.

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Popping in this late in the month to say I have high hopes for participating regularly in December!!!

I’ve lost about 5lbs since moving, just from traversing a larger house and walking more dogs. I’m going to attach my step chart, but there’s no way I’m sharing the actual numbers, lol.
My eating habits are still rather abysmal, but they’re not my main focus. I’ll get to that eventually.

We’re on our way to achieving my dream-light home gym. Elliptical still has to be moved from the old house, and smith/cable rack and weights are being delivered in early December. In the meantime, I got a good deal on a decent rowing machine, justified a balance ball because ds can use it for PT, and we have our adjustable dumbbells. Now that puppies are sleeping through the night, but with early mornings, I’m beginning to find a groove with what I have.

I’m getting excited! I’ve missed workout highs and feeling strong. The thought of being able to do that without 30 minute drives each way or braving freezing temperatures in the dark is pretty awesome.

Fingers crossed tightly!

B82805A3-B180-4130-92F7-EA53BA701085.jpeg

Look at your chart go up, up, up! In the end, the improvement is what matters not the numbers. I started working out at home when Covid hit and haven't been back. I dont' have a home gym but make do. I have weights in the bottom of my entertainment center along with my yoga mat and a few odds and ends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 1 of Caroline's Advent Series- Shoulders and Arms--- Done-- about 25 min

I'm working on upping the weights and lowering the reps. I'm taking more reps than she does. I'd like to get a walk in this afternoon. The weather is supposed to be nice (although I can't see the sun yet and would really like to!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Soror said:

Playing without pain is wonderful. Here's hoping that time off will keep the injuries at bay.

I'm thrilled that you are doing better. How did the services for your Mom go? (did I miss this?)

Today is a new day. I'm sorry you are struggling right now, depression is the pits 😞  I'm sorry your ds is being a butthead. Teenagers can be challenging enough without throwing in the complications of divorce.

BTW are you planning rest days? It is not a failure to take a day off. Rest days are good for us. 

Movement is movement. Getting movement and family time together is a win to me. Good luck finishing your papers.

Look at your chart go up, up, up! In the end, the improvement is what matters not the numbers. I started working out at home when Covid hit and haven't been back. I dont' have a home gym but make do. I have weights in the bottom of my entertainment center along with my yoga mat and a few odds and ends.

I try to go on a walk even if it’s otherwise a rest day but don’t always do that. So basically Sat ended up being a total rest day since it was raining. If I’m home all day I get barely any steps without making it a point. It’s true that rest days are good, though. 
I checked my waistline and it’s the same as my update on 11/12 but no surprise there. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Soror said:

Thanks.  It hasn't happened yet: because she fell at her care home a week before her death, a police report was needed and the Procurator Fiscal (like a coroner) needed to give permission for the death certificate to be issued.  Only then could we fix a date.  The celebration of her life is next Tuesday (6th).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Thanks.  It hasn't happened yet: because she fell at her care home a week before her death, a police report was needed and the Procurator Fiscal (like a coroner) needed to give permission for the death certificate to be issued.  Only then could we fix a date.  The celebration of her life is next Tuesday (6th).

Thank you for the update. 

• Like 1

Tuesday - I started the day with 20 minutes of yoga, the first since before Covid. My balance was predictably terrible.

Today is graduation for our Masters students   I'll be on my feet a lot. I'll try to get out for a walk.

Yesterday's good news  - I got a high mark for my second essay, so I can relax a bit about my third - the best two marks are averaged to calculate the final grade.

• Like 6

@Laura Corin congrats on the essay-- good luck at the graduation today.

@heartlikealion wtg getting in your steps.

----------------------------

I cleaned out under the deck yesterday afternoon. Getting in some outdoor time and activity. But I flared my allergies messing with the wet leaves. I'd blown it out under there but they get stuck in certain spots and we've had rain recently. Blech. Anyway, I'm up in the night but hoping to go back to sleep.

exercise plans: 20 min core; CG Advent Day 2

Probably not much else as I have a 3 hr round trip for dd's therapy and then her swim meet. I'll be sitting on my butt a lot today. I wish I could just be home it is supposed to be in the 60s.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2